• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
Those who had 6 month sentences actually confessed to doping without any positive tests, not at all related.

That you knew of. Don't forget the known O2 boosters, to bad the team didn't report it to the UCI. Nagh, why report such things done within the team just take care of it in house, sounds legit.

Relates 100%

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
Lance has all the credibility in the world on doping. He knows how easy it is to dope and not get popped. Di Luca is that ****ing stupid... either that or really, really unlucky.

that took some ball Lance :eek:!

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 1m

Knowing I have 0 cred on the doping issue - I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that ****ing stupid??"

f*cks sake lance, 0 cred on the doping issue? you have no credibility on ANYTHING, least of all on charity work or cancer. Jog on.

Zam_Olyas said:
Hahahaa The tweet by The Lance is weirdly hilarious.

god no, nothing he says could ever be funny in any way. This is just another blatant desperate look at me move from the biggest pri*k the world has ever seen. He should stick to milking cancer and stealing money off very ill people.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I see Lance is still trying to get that Garmin job.

I wish he would just become a full time troll instead. He could have so much fun on twitter making fun of the UCI, the new clean generation, his old buddies. etc.

....+1....

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
I think you are referring to this, which was discussed here before.

Twice weekly IV injections of EPO for twelve weeks raised Hb to levels about the same as (not more than) two bags of blood

If you have a relatively low blood volume and high Hb concentration and is using refrigerated blood, not frozen, then yes, it's about the same.

I can’t access the entire article any more (the above link provides just the first two pages), nor find my posts discussing this article earlier, but IIRC, the doses of EPO used in this study could be detected by the EPO test during periods of this regims. So not a perfectly safe method.

Since Di Luca did test positive, he was likely using doses large enough to have a very significant effect on Hb mass.

Probably some riders do, and as I noted before, EPO is needed to counteract the suppression of retics.

Edit: This illustrates why it would really be helpful if DD came clean. Was he transfusing and using EPO both, and if so, was he using a schedule given to him by someone else? What does he know about how other riders are blood doping? Even without naming others, he could potentially provide some useful information.

They definitely did in Lance's days. Now a days? Who knows. Probably depends on whether EPO-testing has improved since then.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
brilleaben said:
Luckily this shows that doping no longer gives you a significant advantage, when a clean rider like Visconti could drop Danilo a couple of days ago.

Di Luca was at the pointy end a few times - and you don't know where he started from. There is insufficient data to tell if EPO is effective in the peloton or not.

Sep 29, 2012
the sceptic said:
I wish he would just become a full time troll instead. He could have so much fun on twitter making fun of the UCI, the new clean generation, his old buddies. etc.

YES!! :D

Can you imagine the absolute fecal storm if LA posted something like

@JuanPelota
Good 2012 Wiggins, but ... NOT NORMAL bro! Tone it down!

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Not only do you have the testing Lab's schedule, the documentation from the tests needs to be posted to the APMU, then the positive would pass to an expert for further analysis. Especially with EPO test results, the expert's review is necessary. The expert's recommendations pass to a larger group where the ADA's final recommendation is made then sent to the sports federation.

Four weeks is pretty quick.

Alexander Serebryakov was the last rider who tested positive for EPO and his test return took only 19 days. His OOC test was March 18 and he was suspended on April 6. It shows a positive can happen in less than 3 weeks. For Di Luca, it took 25 days from OOC testing (April 29) to suspension (May 24). The same WADA lab (Köln) was used in both cases. Different sports feds. and ADAs involved though and Russians may be more efficient than Italians when it comes to ‘paperwork’. Or maybe Di Luca’s lab report was lost on McQuaid’s desk for a while? :D

Also, Sylvain Georges’ in comp. positive for heptaminol took 5 days (May 10 - May 15) with WADA’s Rome lab doing the testing. Too bad Di Luca’s testing was not expedited like Georges’ .

Found this on Velocipede Salon by Justin Spinelli:

"every day i thank my lucky stars i don't have to ride a bike to pay the rent anymore.

danillo was a ferocious racer and my best ride ever in a one day was setting him up to win the gp mengoni in 2002. it's a great story actually that involves me having to physically stop at the side of the road unable to see, well... anything really, after taking my last pull before he put in his winning attack. i had already been dropped but fought back through the cars and just let it all out. the effort was noted though as after i showered and went back to the team cars for my ride home, corti opened up a briefcase full of cash and hit me with 3 thousand euros as a little bonus for a job well done. that's a true story."

BroDeal said:
Found this on Velocipede Salon by Justin Spinelli:

"every day i thank my lucky stars i don't have to ride a bike to pay the rent anymore.

danillo was a ferocious racer and my best ride ever in a one day was setting him up to win the gp mengoni in 2002. it's a great story actually that involves me having to physically stop at the side of the road unable to see, well... anything really, after taking my last pull before he put in his winning attack. i had already been dropped but fought back through the cars and just let it all out. the effort was noted though as after i showered and went back to the team cars for my ride home, corti opened up a briefcase full of cash and hit me with 3 thousand euros as a little bonus for a job well done. that's a true story."

Should we assume they were riding on the same team?

Sep 29, 2012
IndianCyclist said:
Football teams carry out medical checks for any new signings
I donot know about any cycling teams but they should for every new signing at least to know where the potential of that rider is and detect any possible health issues.

Have you ever heard of any team doing this, ever? Even teams like Garmin get that stuff wrong, even when it's mandated by the UCI to carry out quarterly checks so um.

TRENDING THREADS