• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

classicomano said:
Writing a tell all book, still lying. Started doping in 2001, seriously? What a joker.

Yeah, I agree with those saying he was the hardest of hardcore dopers. I would doubt he was clean since he was racing juniors in Italy. Would find it hard to believe anything he says but maybe read the book for fun.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

pmcg76 said:
classicomano said:
Writing a tell all book, still lying. Started doping in 2001, seriously? What a joker.

Yeah, I agree with those saying he was the hardest of hardcore dopers. I would doubt he was clean since he was racing juniors in Italy. Would find it hard to believe anything he says but maybe read the book for fun.
Carlo Santuccione vs il Killer.

He was a fabric. Like that Spanish moron Mauri.

No respect for either.

[thats why I have had some problems with other riders]

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Di Luca one of very many.

Don't see much difference between Di Luca and the rest of the pro peloton.

Di Luca at least stood up for riders against RCS in a stage considered dangerous. It cost him future participations in Il Giro, but hey he doped...just like the rest and is unrepentant about it, just like the rest, but tells a story that people don't want to hear....ahhhh poor fans.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

Armstong too
Di Luca at least stood up for riders against RCS in a stage considered dangerous. It cost him future participations in Il Giro, but hey he doped...just like the rest and is unrepentant about it, just like the rest, but tells a story that people don't want to hear....ahhhh poor fans.
No Beno, he is a moron, and, overdid everything in his career.

Pantani was a choirboy compared to him.

Armstrong too by the way.

The Kim Anderson of his generation, no worries, he will find his way into a job at Trek Segafredo.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I like the quaint idea of the repentant doper, as if a rider telling a second round of lies about how sorry he is in a public display of apology theater makes the rider a more moral person than one who gets caught but tells mostly the truth about how he doped, it was the culture, it was a requirement, and he is not sorry about it.

The classic case is Millar, who even as he was posing as an example of a reformed doper was caught using HGH by his manager. No joke. Yet Millar is praised while DiLuca has the puritans breaking out their pitchforks and torches.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DamianoMachiavelli said:
I like the quaint idea of the repentant doper, as if a rider telling a second round of lies about how sorry he is in a public display of apology theater makes the rider a more moral person than one who gets caught but tells mostly the truth about how he doped, it was the culture, it was a requirement, and he is not sorry about it.

The classic case is Millar, who even as he was posing as an example of a reformed doper was caught using HGH by his manager. No joke. Yet Millar is praised while DiLuca has the puritans breaking out their pitchforks and torches.

Would love to see an anti-hagiography:

David Miller: Study in Hypocrisy

Problem is, Miller isn't a good enough athlete, or interesting enough as a person, to warrant the effort.

DiLuca, on the other hand, I can't say anything bad about.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

Good post.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

Tells a story when he's backed into a corner and has nowhere to go.

As for those other dopers in the peloton, who says they should be above criticism too?

Di Luca has three strikes against him. His comment about not "spitting in the soup" to get his ban reduced showed him up for what he is, a guy more interested in saving his own skin than to repair the damage he caused to the sport.

gooner said:
Benotti69 said:

As for those other dopers in the peloton, who says they should be above criticism too?

Di Luca has three strikes against him. His comment about not "spitting in the soup" to get his ban reduced showed him up for what he is, a guy more interested in saving his own skin than to repair the damage he caused to the sport.

Yes, he was backed into a corner. What corner is that? The entire peloton or just the David Walsh view of the word?

I think Di Luca has no need to save his own skin. He's most fine, doesn't need to sell books like "Racing through the BS", he just tells it like it was.

You have trouble with that? :cool:

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

thehog said:
Yes, he was backed into a corner. What corner is that? The entire peloton or just the David Walsh view of the word?

Well he is out of the sport. Three strikes has backed him into a corner. ;) Oh and what has David Walsh got to do with this, apart from your own fascination. It has nothing to do with what I said.

I think Di Luca has no need to save his own skin. He's most fine, doesn't need to sell books like "Racing through the BS", he just tells it like it was.

Just like when he got his ban reduced but didn't "spit in the soup". :rolleyes:

gooner said:
thehog said:

Well he is out of the sport. Three strikes has backed him into a corner. ;) Oh and what has David Walsh got to do with this, apart from your own fascination. It has nothing to do with what I said.

Just like when he got his ban reduced but didn't "spit in the soup". :rolleyes:

So he should. Considering Heano has been doing and pretending to be an "altitude native" why shouldn't Di Luca do what other teams including Sky do?

At least he wasn't using a motor like Froome on Ventoux in 2013. But I guess that's OK in your world like Radclife, lol! :cool: (why this doping view of everything? )

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

AcademyCC said:
Ray J Willings - apart from the fact i disagree with everything you say. If a rider can get a 10% performance increase from a motor in his bike and another can get a 10% performance increase from doping. Why is mechanical doping worse?

I could ride a motor bike and beat Contador . That's not cycling.
Doping is cycling , it always has been from the get go. When are people going to get past that.
Lets be honest deal with it and move on. No one cared when loads of substances now banned were legal.
Have you seen the list of what's illegal. How long before athletes wont legally have anything left to eat or drink. Its fu%%ing stupid.
If they made EPO legal in pro racing and you could just go and get it at the chemist most weekend warriors would and some already do.
I doubt there are many who want to ride a cycle with a engine in it.
The fact you disagree with me shows why this problem [non existent problem of no real value IMO] will never go away.
You can't stop it.
Make it legal and stop wasting all this money and resources on bike racing and people running round a track, Its not of importance in the general day to day life of almost the rest of the planet and they don't really care anyway
" they all dope anyway"
Look at the states in the US where they have made marijuana legal. What's happened ? nothing Crime has not got worse . There's no drug induced crazies going round terrorising the towns. In-fact its been of benefit and the financial gains from the tax has been a big boost.
Stop pretending these things are the downfall of the world and if we don't stop it society will come to a stand still .
Its just people living in fear and being dictated to by the agenda of governments and propaganda of the main stream media.
Make the drugs legal. All of them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

gooner said:
Benotti69 said:

What corner? The guy is out of the sport and runs his own bike shop and gym. No corner, in fact Di Luca is admired in his native region. All Italian fans of the sport know the riders dope.

If Di Luca is cashing in on telling his story he aint no different then the sky library!! Stop trying to be pious!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Does this include in saying things as he sees it.

Not surprisingly, Di Luca said, "The best thing would be to legalize drugs so the entire peloton is on a level playing field."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-90-per-cent-of-riders-in-giro-ditalia-were-doping/

Landis said the same. Said no one wanted to catch the dopers so might as well let them at it!

It is not smart what either rider has said, but they know the reality. The federations love doping.

Benotti69 said:
gooner said:
Does this include in saying things as he sees it.

Not surprisingly, Di Luca said, "The best thing would be to legalize drugs so the entire peloton is on a level playing field."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-90-per-cent-of-riders-in-giro-ditalia-were-doping/

Landis said the same. Said no one wanted to catch the dopers so might as well let them at it!

It is not smart what either rider has said, but they know the reality. The federations love doping.

Di Luca is expressing his personal view of dope testing vis-a-vis compared to the number of riders caught. He is suggesting that testing is so poor there is little point in testing and one might "legalise doping".

gooner said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Never liked him. He overdid it, always. Over the top doper. Wouldnt even read his book when I got payed for it.

Natural born liar.

Doesnt mean he is sometimes right.

This.

I remember when Di Luca got his ban reduced and joined Katusha, yet said at the same time he didn't betray the code of omerta for the reduction.

No time for him.

He rode for free at Katusha and paid his anti-doping fine.

Danilo Di Luca has confirmed that he intends to ride for the Katusha team for free despite UCI rules stipulating a rider must e paid a minimum wage.

UCI rules specify that a professional rider must be paid a minimum of 49.500 Euro per year and the contract is checked and verified by the UCI accountants Ernst&Young.

However Di Luca insists he will not earn a penny and revealed that making a comeback will cost him 170,000 Euro, the amount the UCI has fined him for testing positive during the 2009 Giro d’Italia.

“I can confirm that I’m going to pay the fine of about 170,000 Euro the UCI wants and that Tchmil has really asked to register my contract with a salary of zero Euro,” he told Tuttobiciweb.

“By choosing to sign a contract with Katusha I’ve given up on a good contract that Astana offered me. But I liked the idea (offered by Katusha) and followed my instinct.”

Di Luca confirmed that he has signed his contract with Katusha today, in front of 500 school children and Don Marco Pozza, the priest who first persuaded him to talk about his doping.

“I agreed to take part in Don Marco’s project and I’m convinced about its goals because it’s about telling young people what happened to me and the mistakes I made,” he said.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
DamianoMachiavelli said:

Ding ! this is exactly right.

people like to kid themselves........ Di luca 2005 giro.. i enjoyed it .. if you didnt then you might not like bike racing

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DamianoMachiavelli said:

I totally missed this. Could you expand?

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
sniper said:
I totally missed this. Could you expand?
Fell off the wagon in 2010. I won't get into where it comes from but I trust the source.

People can believe whatever they want, but Millar is a world class doosh.

DiLuca on the other hand rode like a boss. It is good to have riders from that era enlighten the public about the extent of doping. Of course the believers in omerta, like Phil Gaimon, are hard at work trying to suppress the truth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts