• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Diego Rosa discussion thread

After today's great performance in service of Vincenzo and for all the good things to come I thought it's a good idea to open a thread about Diego. To start things off here's a picture after Il Lombardia, Nibali giving him a big hug.

cqfllhyweaa-58.jpg

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Do we really need to open a thread every time a rider does a half decent performance. I personally feel there are to many specific rider threads and they just get lost. Is there not a better way of organising it?

Re:

Rosa has been one of the best domestiques in both GT's and has topped it off with some incredible late autumn racing. He will surely get a bigger role in Landa's absence and I expect big things. I really like him.

GT-rider? Dno, no clue, but he seems versatile, not the paper thin rider like Aru, but more in the mold of Nibali.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Rosa has been one of the best domestiques in both GT's and has topped it off with some incredible late autumn racing. He will surely get a bigger role in Landa's absence and I expect big things. I really like him.

GT-rider? Dno, no clue, but he seems versatile, not the paper thin rider like Aru, but more in the mold of Nibali.

He was fifth at the beginning of this season in Strade Bianche, definitely a rider who's good in hard one-day races.

Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:

He was fifth at the beginning of this season in Strade Bianche, definitely a rider who's good in hard one-day races.

Exactly, seems much more like a complete rider who can do well in various terrain and has proven very loyal as well. He will probably do the Tour this year with Aru, or is Nibz getting him for the Giro as a backup?

I've been closely following him since his first year as pro. He turned pro late, he rode MTB before, so great bike handling. First year as a pro already a very convincing Giro supporting Delfino. Last year he was very unlucky with a leg infection but a top10 in the Giro was absolutely possible. I'm not sure he's consistent enough to go for a podium in a GT though, he's had his off days as a domestiche both in the Vuelta and the Giro.

Very complete rider and a bright young man as well. I could change my avatar for him.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I've been closely following him since his first year as pro. He turned pro late, he rode mbk before, so great bike handling. First year as a pro already a very convincing Giro supporting Delfino. Last year he was very unlucky with a leg infection but a top10 in the Giro was absolutely possible. I'm not sure he's consistent enough to go for a podium in a GT though, he's had his off days as a domestiche both in the Vuelta and the Giro.

Very complete rider and a bright young man as well. I could change my avatar for him.
You wanna jynx him too? :(
:p

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This year I expected him to develop like other ex-MTB'er Vuillermoz, and that turned out well. Not in terms of classification results yet, but we are yet to see him as a leader for Astana in a stage race. His true TT ability is unknown as well. I'd say he's rather a good candidate for classics than for GT's.

I can see how for most CN posters, Rosa is rather a GT domestique.

Personally, the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Diego Rosa is the the long Milan-Sanremo breakaway of 2013, unfortunately broken by RCS's shameless decision to retract a long part of the route, including the Turchino and the Maniè. It's still sticking in my throat. :mad: Those modern orgas have no sense of epic. So you could see Rosa and the other breakaway riders (whose names I forgot but kind strangely, I remember him) starting back from Cogoleto with the lead that they had before the ascent of the Turchino that never happened.

Honestly it was the day I discovered him, in his Androni jersey.

He still did MTB afterwards, though, the Italian nats, I think.

DSC6087-1024x683.jpg

I'm amused. Just a few days ago I was thinking why haven't anyone who won solo stopped and carried their bike across the line, that would be fun. And then Rosa went away and did it. Does anyone want the lottery numbers for the weekend?

Rosa's season hasn't been that bad so far. He was 7th in Valencia with an awesome TT, working well for Aru at Algarve and had he been the team leader at Paris-Nice he would've got a top-15 for sure (he lost over 15 minutes in flat stages when he just rolled in the back group). This though was just awesome. I hope he has a good Ardennes season. A top 10 somewhere would make me very happy. Maybe Fleche considering how well he did on the Superga, which is a different climb I know but is very steep like the Mur, just longer. Or Liege after awesomeness last year in Giro di Lombardia.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Rosa's season hasn't been that bad so far. He was 7th in Valencia with an awesome TT, working well for Aru at Algarve and had he been the team leader at Paris-Nice he would've got a top-15 for sure (he lost over 15 minutes in flat stages when he just rolled in the back group). This though was just awesome. I hope he has a good Ardennes season. A top 10 somewhere would make me very happy. Maybe Fleche considering how well he did on the Superga, which is a different climb I know but is very steep like the Mur, just longer. Or Liege after awesomeness last year in Giro di Lombardia.

Yeah, what I meant was:
1 he was in great position in Valencia but dropped lots of places in the GC on that stage Poels won
2 he lost lots of time in weird places in PN and Algarve.
3 he was a late DNS for Strade and Catalunya
So his season was a bit weird so far

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Brullnux said:

Yeah, what I meant was:
1 he was in great position in Valencia but dropped lots of places in the GC on that stage Poels won
2 he lost lots of time in weird places in PN and Algarve.
3 he was a late DNS for Strade and Catalunya
So his season was a bit weird so far
According to La Gazzetta he had some health problems durning the early season, that would explain those bad results.

TRENDING THREADS