• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I think once we see a full head decapitation then perhaps the UCI will have a re think about using money driven product placements and stop taking advantage of rich fat blokes who would buy a bike with a cucumber on the top tube if they saw Wiggins using one.

downhillfromnow said:
I don't know whether there is a technical reason, but why are the profiles of the discs rectangular (and razor sharp) and not rounded. That would prevent injuries.

A disc can't be razor-sharp and rectangular in profile, that's nonsensical. Good discs are rounded.

It's been several days since this happened and nothing new has been said, basically it's fluff. For a disc to cause really serious damage it needs to be spinning with torque applied, that doesn't happen in a crash. Even if a wheel stays spinning the weight of the rider is going to stop it very quickly. I'd be more worried about getting my fingers caught in the spokes of a wheel than landing on a disc if I'm honest. Especially those bladed things people seem to love these days.

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Misunderstanding. I don't mean the front view of the disc, which of course is round, but the side view, that is the sharp edge around the circumference. That could be rounded?

Re:

downhillfromnow said:
Misunderstanding. I don't mean the front view of the disc, which of course is round, but the side view, that is the sharp edge around the circumference. That could be rounded?

Ah ok, I was very confused! I thought you were referring to the strange shapes of some rotors but still couldn't get my head round it!

The pads grab that bit of the rotor so unless you round it over completely rather than say, burl the edges, it's just going to get worn down anyway.

If it's spinning fast enough and with enough force to cause deep lacerations (and I still highly doubt this is every going to be a significant worry) then I think a rounded edge isn't going to to make any difference at all.

Like KB, I never thought about the scenario that happened at P-R. As bad as that wound is, I don't think that those stars can align like that very often, so the once every five years, worst case scenario happened in one of the first races with discs. It certainly made me think about my 100% support of discs in the pro platoon.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I think once we see a full head decapitation then perhaps the UCI will have a re think about using money driven product placements and stop taking advantage of rich fat blokes who would buy a bike with a cucumber on the top tube if they saw Wiggins using one.

Do you know the make and type of cucumbers Wiggins uses...asking for a mate of course... :D

Re:

jmdirt said:
Like KB, I never thought about the scenario that happened at P-R. As bad as that wound is, I don't think that those stars can align like that very often, so the once every five years, worst case scenario happened in one of the first races with discs. It certainly made me think about my 100% support of discs in the pro platoon.

My worry now is that rubbing is racing. As in, you rub up against other peoples bikes all the time when in a group, especially when jostling about in a big peloton. I had only previously thought about crashes, when wheels stop very quickly or are only spinning due to momentum and will stop very easily. In this case the disc was basically a table saw, and it seems that this was when both riders were trying to stop. Short of fitting F1/MotoGP style fairing I don't see what you can do to stop this and I think it's much more likely than once every few years. Isn't this the first WT race they're being used in?

I still think that for amateurs and hobbyists they are fantastic, but based on this, unless it's proven it was something else, I'm 100% against them in their current form in racing.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I was over at my friends Ed carbon workshop today. He has a set of lightweight wheels he uses for his show bikes. I put them on the guru and I thought WTF would you want discs, they looked amazing and if I lived in France etc I would start saving they are awesome.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
downhillfromnow said:
I don't know whether there is a technical reason, but why are the profiles of the discs rectangular (and razor sharp) and not rounded. That would prevent injuries.

I have often wondered why the discs do not have rounded edges (at least on the ones I've seen). I would thing it would be easier to insert the disc into the calipers. Note: I have never used disc brakes.

For what it is worth a few years ago a local bike shop manager told me that he replaced bent discs several times a week on mountain bikes.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
May be it is time for hub (or drum) brakes !!!!! They were common in the UK several decades ago on tandems, trikes, and commuter bikes. Using todays technology I believe a lightweight hub brake is possible (and I'm not referring to back peddle brakes).

Re:

avanti said:
May be it is time for hub 9or drum) brakes !!!!! They were common in the UK several decades ago on tandems, trikes, and commuter bikes. Using todays technology I believe a lightweight hub brake is possible (and I'm not referring to back peddle brakes).

Maybe they should just leave things the way they were??

Is there a need / want for Disc Brakes in the Pro Peloton?

Caliper Rim brakes seem to be working pretty well and have been for years.

IMHO i put these in the same box as electronic / wireless shifting......"a solution looking for it's problem"

Governing body to continue consultation on the matter

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/safety-concerns-behind-ucis-move-to-suspend-use-of-disc-brakes/

In a slightly unrelated matter....I was watching a great highlights clip of a new 7 day MTB race in the South Island of NZ called "The Pioneer"...in the clip, NZ Multisport legend Steve Gurney slices his forearm wide open on a disc rotor (on a mtb obviously) while getting water at an Aid station.....his fault and an accident btw.

the clip is 50mins long, but it's a nice production and showcases some beautiful NZ Sth Island scenery if you can be bothered ?? https://vimeo.com/162304646 - plus the race looks pretty damn cool!

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
avanti said:
May be it is time for hub 9or drum) brakes !!!!! They were common in the UK several decades ago on tandems, trikes, and commuter bikes. Using todays technology I believe a lightweight hub brake is possible (and I'm not referring to back peddle brakes).

Maybe they should just leave things the way they were??

Is there a need / want for Disc Brakes in the Pro Peloton?

Caliper Rim brakes seem to be working pretty well and have been for years.

IMHO i put these in the same box as electronic / wireless shifting......"a solution looking for it's problem"

100% agree :eek: well said sir I salute you. Common sense though does not rule over money.

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/safety-concerns-behind-ucis-move-to-suspend-use-of-disc-brakes/

In a slightly unrelated matter....I was watching a great highlights clip of a new 7 day MTB race in the South Island of NZ called "The Pioneer"...in the clip, NZ Multisport legend Steve Gurney slices his forearm wide open on a disc rotor (on a mtb obviously) while getting water at an Aid station.....his fault and an accident btw.

the clip is 50mins long, but it's a nice production and showcases some beautiful NZ Sth Island scenery if you can be bothered ?? https://vimeo.com/162304646 - plus the race looks pretty damn cool!

Mountain bikes have become comically oversized. Ridiculous wheels and handlebars. The riders look Lilliputian.

winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

Mountain bikes have become comically oversized. Ridiculous wheels and handlebars. The riders look Lilliputian.

Have you ridden one lately??

JackRabbitSlims said:
winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

Have you ridden one lately??

There is now a trend towards 27.5+..Bigger sized tires, not quite 'fat bike' but close, is the latest MTB fad to be emerging.

Attachments

• s780_a77d282a_a82a_4a97_9905_ec5a8a3d0c0d_zps9b70ff8b.jpg
    s780_a77d282a_a82a_4a97_9905_ec5a8a3d0c0d_zps9b70ff8b.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,684

TRENDING THREADS