• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disturbing Horner interview

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
davestoller said:
Absolutely criminal that the race "doctor" allowed him to continue.
THe doctor has a license to treat and serve patients above all other concerns.
If a team director makes a mistake, it is not with the same body of training and experience.

Absolutely disgusting that Cancellara had to go to Q.S. car to warn them that Boonen needed to get out of the race. Becasue of head injury.

Who knows? Maybe all the crashes are caused/worsened by the effects of slowed relflexes and ppor concentration of the prior head injuries in this and other races.

The race doctor should be thrown out of the race. And sued.
THe riders union should have their own car and race medics unassociated with the race. THe "race" is trying to put a good face on the many ill conceived and poor decisions about the course, the narrow roads and the sprint bonuses going down 15 places that the rides are blaming for the chaos.

Also, no long TTT or ITT to separate the GC riders, so every day the sprinters are trying to win the stage, the green jersey guys are trying to squeeze in top 1, the GC guys are trying to squeeze in, and the roads are too narrow for two euro cars to pass going opposite directions.

I am sure the riders and teams sign reams of paper to not hold the race resposnible fo rinjuries but this is too much.
Imagine being CHris Horner's family watching this on TV?!?!?!

Oh yeah, sue the hell out of Versus US TV coverage too. SHAME on them!!!

They where just reporting an update. I think it's something to do with the tradition of the Tour (back before we had legal liability). Not that I don't agree with you. I find it interesting that Zeits and Steegmans rode with him and not his RS teammates.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
They where just reporting an update. I think it's something to do with the tradition of the Tour (back before we had legal liability). Not that I don't agree with you. I find it interesting that Zeits and Steegmans rode with him and not his RS teammates.

BillytheKid said:
yeh, great teammates, Levi and Haimar just fix their bikes and ride off. :mad:

Yeah, what's up with that? Probably they were told to.

EDIT: But even so, they should have insisted on staying with him. At least one of them.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
How well does Horner speak French? The doc may not have been able to tell that he was out of it. His team does not have that excuse.
Horner rode for many european teams (including french speaking ones) for years, but maybe doctor himself didn't knew that.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
All I know is, for Chris' sake, Positive scan or not, I hope Johan has the good sense to pull the plug on Chris' 2011 TdF effort. Somehow I can't imagine him riding tempo and giving it his all, for Kloden, in the coming mountains. And he is now so far behind, simply put - what is the point? His life is far more important than any Tour de France. I hope Johan does the right thing, and sends Chris off to some well deserved R&R.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Thanks Aussie Gold.

Once you've lived in Europe you may begin to understand.

An Australian lecturing me on speaking more than one language. Come on, please. Give it a rest. From the one nation which speaks nothing but English.

We speak English and Bad English. Two languages actually!:D The later involves cursing, swearing and foul cussing. Our cricket team invented the secondary sport of professional sledging. Just ask the English. It involves mostly Bad English.

France has the finest medical system in the world. If you get hurt in France, you will be in very competent and safe hands. We didn't see what happened after the crash and don't know what words were said to the race doctor, if any were spoken at all. I have no doubt the doctor can communicate fluently with all riders in the peloton.

It is scary Horner was allowed back on the bike given his state at the finish, however he didn't appear from the brief footage I saw to be in nearly as bad a state as Boonen was the day prior. Horner had enough cognitive functioning to stay upright and not sway across the road. Horner was lacking the glazed eye look Boonen had. I've seen footage of guys crashing after losing consciousness whilst on the bike and thankfully Horner made it to the line without any further problems.

Yes he wasn't all there. I for one thought he was out cold from race footage but perhaps he showed enough recovery after the crash for the doctors and DS to consider that he could ride and finish, aka, balance and eyesight were fine, memory was just a little hazy. I know there is doubt now, but at that time, maybe his lack of focus wasn't deemed to be as harsh as we know, ie; he says he can't remember crash we assume it's cause he hit his head. At that time one doesn't have the perspective we do now to realise after finishing he's still queezy and incoherent. Hindsight says he shouldn't have continued...I'm guessing the protocols, which will be of a very high standard, suggested he could finish but would need observation, hence let him continue racing.

All this will do is bring diagnosis protocols into the spotlight. Maybe they will get tighter. I wouldn't be surprised in future if this happens, it's an instant withdrawal for your own safety, regardless of your or the DS opinion. Hopefully this is used as a learning experience on what not to do in future. Some nice protocols that dictate what MUST be done are always handy. Give the pros and their DS's a choice, they'll keep racing. Every time. It's in their nature as pro cyclists. Tough men. Bruyneel actually looked embarassed in the video. He'll do the right thing and withdraw Horner if he has to...I hope.

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Jackass!

fujitourer said:
Australia is a multicultural country, not all of us speak only English (I also speak French and Italian).
You are one rude gross messed up dude. You never have anything good to say about anything involving cycling. Why don't you hike up your skirt and move on? JACKASS!

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
nowhereman said:
All I know is, for Chris' sake, Positive scan or not, I hope Johan has the good sense to pull the plug on Chris' 2011 TdF effort. Somehow I can't imagine him riding tempo and giving it his all, for Kloden, in the coming mountains. And he is now so far behind, simply put - what is the point? His life is far more important than any Tour de France. I hope Johan does the right thing, and sends Chris off to some well deserved R&R.
Scan was clear (except for the nose). Up to the race doctor, then JB.
Very doubtful he'll start although they might have to strap him down. Close observation and rescan in the a.m. Very doubtful he'll be back. Too bad, but the right thing to do.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Yeh, WTF over?

I see you're still sore about my calling out one of your other little sock puppets. In any case if this is the best you can come up with it's pretty impotent. The BillytheKid personna has been pretty successful for you. Not banned yet, anyway. Why don't you give it a rest.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Maxiton said:
I see you're still sore about my calling out one of your other little sock puppets. In any case if this is the best you can come up with it's pretty impotent. The BillytheKid personna has been pretty successful for you. Not banned yet, anyway. Why don't you give it a rest.
That's calling the tea pot calling the kettle black. :D

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Some people in here need to cool their jets. I've already handed out two strikes, and I'm tempted to hand out several more very quickly if the insults and off-topic garbage continues.

:mad:

Sorry. I was out of line. :eek:

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Good news that the scans are clear.

There seemed to be swelling around his eyes that I found pretty disturbing, when added to his short term memory issue and slurred speech. Hopefully that swelling is related to the broken nose not something deeper. I'm looking forward to hearing an update in the morning saying he passed a good night.

Hog should have pulled him out. Unbelievable.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had the privilege of riding with Chris on many occasions when he is training in Denia, Spain, and seeing him in this video is really disturbing - the team are struggling with injuries and obviously under pressure to keep him riding, he himself won't want to quit so I hope there is a doctor with a big enough pair of cajones to lay down the law and say it is just too risky if indeed it is.
Chris is a tremendously nice guy and was in the form of his life after a healthy and injury free start to the year. This should have been his best GT ever, one where he was going to get the chance to stay with the leaders rather than fetch water for others. Gutted for him and hope he gets his chance again at La Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS