• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

• I only care about Marianne Vos, truly amazing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sports marketing is geared toward men who likely participated in said sport at some level. I'd say a lot of men are living vicariously through whomever they identify with as their favourite.

I've seen a lot of great games (hockey) and races (cycling) in which men did not participate. But that doesn't matter unless there's a huge female audience in order to justify networks or publications pushing the sport.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm just reading up on women's cycling and watching what I can on youtube after the Olympics and in preparation for the Worlds.
It's one of those things where you kind of have to go out of your way to find out about it and keep up to date.

The solution, I guess, is more televised women's races (I find when they're on concurrently with the men's people watch them and enjoy them) and more support from the UCI. I'm sure with a bit of attention and investment it would grow and grow.

It'd be nice if it grows, gets more coverage etc.. but I don't think I would watch it. Maybe an odd race here or there but I wouldn't seek it out.

The Hitch said:
For the moment i don't care too.much about women's cycling for the same reason i don't care about omloop het neiusbald and kbk- its is not shown on eurosport. If women's races were on tv i definitely would care.

:eek:

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I like cycling. I like to see people giving their all. You can see this in mens cycling an women's cycling. Some mens races are boring and some exciting, the same with women's races. Yes, the depth isn't the same because much fewer women can make any kind of a living at it. Regardless, the gals give just as much as the guys and I respect that and think women's cycling deserves a lot more respect and support.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
Very little. The Olympics was an exellent race but the few races I've previously watched were rather poor - topped with the WC 2011 which was pretty much a big fat middle finger towards the sport of cycling itself. (And no - the bad route wasn't to blame solely).

Cycling is different, isn't it. You can't - in the same way - see that the level might be lower than the male's races since it's basically just the speeds that differ. Football, however, is different. I've watched enough womens Champions League and World Cups to see that it's god awful. That might not be a popular opinion but that's the truth.

Womens football is coming on in leaps and bounds to the point where it is actually watchable at the highest level.Hence 80,000 crowd at Wembley for GB v Brazil..

How can I say this without sounding like a douch? Maybe this will help, I used to be coached by an ex-Olympian woman and former top professional. She was tough, smart and a great motivator. She's a good friend. So I have nothing against women's cycling, per se.

But...I frickin hate womens racing. It's like watching a cat 4 race. I mean, it's horrible. I scream at the TV. I cover my eyes. I cry.

Women like Nicole Cooke, a big name champion who cannot read a race to save her life. She would have won twice as many races if she had a quarter of the tactical nous of say, Gilbert or Vino.

Attack from the front. Attack for 10 seconds and then look around. Go with an attack but don't pull through and look at the girl in front with a face that is half surprise and half annoyance. Sit on the front of the bunch and pull your own teammate back. Sit 3rd wheel and don't seem to understand that 1st wheel is blocking. Blocking! In pro cycling!? Teammates unaware of where other teammates are in a race or in gc. Etc.

This is womens racing.

I never understood how you could race your bike 80 times a year as a professional and have no idea about how to ride a bike. It's worse than watching a triathlon. Logically it makes no sense. The director sportif are often ex-pro men who know what they are doing as should the women. But for whatever reason, it just doesn't work.

Sorry.

Voted no. I have no problem with it, and wish it the best, but it shouldn't be subsidized by taking money from mens teams ie forcing pro tour teams to field a womens team, as a lot of twitter losers suggest. If it can't grow its sport organically and sustainably without being a boat anchor on mens cycling then it just isn't viable.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
To care I would need to be emotionally invested in the riders. Just through lack of coverage it is hard to have that attachment. I have seen a fair bit (interviews/highlights) about Emma Pooley and Marianne Vos but that is about it. If there was more on TV, given what I have already seen, I am sure I could make the leap.

As for it being not as fast as the men. Well, the men in the 80s were not as quick as those in the 90s but I found it far more exciting so I don't think that is an issue for me.

I care about women's cycling, and I always try to watch the WC and what not, because I like cycling. But I don't really follow it beyond checking the results every now and then. I don't have the energy to get more involved than that (and following a sport properly does require a lot of energy).

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes and No, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch women's cycling but if it was on more and I had nothing much else to do I would certainly tune in and watch. In fact if it was on more I would probably get a bit more interested.

Libertine Seguros said:
She's about the same size as José Rujano, so that could be really interesting information if true.

Don't be late Pedro said:
I don't suppose there is a table for that anywhere? Be interesting to see a top 10 or something like that.

I have been informed that i misheard and Harmonn said she had the best power to weight of all British cyclists .

My apologies for confusing it.

Which is still very impressive, but Rujano can keep his world title.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
For me the answer has to be no, but it is a bit of a circular argument.

The sport lacks popularity because it's not in the media enough and it's not in the media enough because it lacks popularity. Repeat ad nauseam.

One possible solution is for larger sponsors to come in off of the good will built up over the Olympics and that might give it some momentum. But with a fractured race calendar and very unstable team organisations, it's hard to see it progressing to the next level.

Red Rick said:
Let's see how do i say this in a politically correct way...

No;)

No what? You mean you don't like cycling? You don't like women? ;)

I'm being facetious of course. I have to admit I've never seen a women's race, but I have no reason to think it shouldn't be as exciting or as boring as men's races.

About the argument about their not being the best of the best, well I'd say inasmuch as it is correct, it is irrelevant, and inasmuch as it is relevant, it is incorrect.