• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dog repeller

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have never seen that, sounds interesting.

For the time being I'm sticking to using my carbon soled shoes to repel them, works like a charm :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not if the dog was trained to attack with one. Isn't it just an electric whistle? As a repellant it is just a noise that the dog can hear. It counts on surprise to refocus the dog's attention but what is to say that someone can't use it to focus a dog to behave in a specific way. Sheep dogs are trained with whistles but they could use ultrasonic whistles too.
Like bear bells. Older bears know it is a people sound but young bears are sometimes curious as to the source of the bell sound and investigate.

Years ago I had an indoor version of this that was designed to stop a dog from chronic barking. A bark would trigger the sound and hopefully distract and annoy the dog enough to stop it's barking. The first time it went off, my dog stopped barking for about 30 seconds. The next time he barked it just annoyed him enough to bark back at it, and continue barking. It was a bark-training device! LOL

Waste of money, IMHO.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
marathon marke said:
Years ago I had an indoor version of this that was designed to stop a dog from chronic barking. A bark would trigger the sound and hopefully distract and annoy the dog enough to stop it's barking. The first time it went off, my dog stopped barking for about 30 seconds. The next time he barked it just annoyed him enough to bark back at it, and continue barking. It was a bark-training device! LOL

Waste of money, IMHO.

Squirt water from your bottle at them. Most dogs hate it.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Always thought the best dog repellant is to sprint faster than the dog. Right? :confused: When I was racing regularly we used to take Spring training trips to Hood River Oregon and intentionally go into the countryside to get chased by dogs for sprint training. Best chase was 2 Dobermans, think they were brothers, but as soon as you came around this right hander there they were, chilling on an old torn up sofa sitting in front of a dilapidated farmhouse. Was like clockwork with those two. Another most memorable was the Boarder Collie family that used to try and herd us like cattle.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Being a mailman, take it from me as I am pretty much an expert when it comes to dog charges...none of those sonic things work...none of them...we get issued with dog mace which thank god I have never had to use as I am a dog lover...I don't even carry it tho I am supposed to...the guys here are right, just work on those sprinting skills...and if you do ever get cornered or say it is uphill and you have a speedy dog, have to stop ect your demeanor really does have alot to do with it...the old cliche about not showing fear is really true with an aggressive dog...9 times out of 10 even an aggressive dog won't do anything if you deal with him right, show confidence in your tone... but of course, that is easier said than done when a person does have a fear of dogs...

I have always (so far) been successful by just yelling loudly at dogs.

I think dogs don't recognize the bicycle as a person.
When the dog is still some distance away - yelling things such as 'STOP' or 'GOOD DOG' works.
If the dog gets too near, then a really loud 'NO' or a 'roar' will stop or distract it.

If you are riding fast & hard, using water bottle, pump, sprays, etc. can result in your crashing.

In worst case (such as dog blocking a narrow path) dismount and keep the bike between you & the dog.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

May 26, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Always thought the best dog repellant is to sprint faster than the dog. Right? :confused: When I was racing regularly we used to take Spring training trips to Hood River Oregon and intentionally go into the countryside to get chased by dogs for sprint training. Best chase was 2 Dobermans, think they were brothers, but as soon as you came around this right hander there they were, chilling on an old torn up sofa sitting in front of a dilapidated farmhouse. Was like clockwork with those two. Another most memorable was the Boarder Collie family that used to try and herd us like cattle.

And there i was hoping you were gonna say hit him with an Ambrosio M20, 32 spoke, brass nipples and he'll never chase another bike again :D

Thank you all for the answers. The problem i have with dogs is i have been bitten twice in my formative years for no apparent and so i dont like dogs at all...when i ride i always carry bike locks like this just in case

bg-lock-01.jpg

Why is this thread, unposted in for nearly nine years, appearing near the top of my "What's New" page for the third day in a row, while the General News thread, which had a new message less than ten minutes before I logged in, is halfway down the second page of "What's New"?

And I know it is off topic here, but I raised it in the appropriate place when this version of the forum was new, and opinions and feedback were being specifically requested, and it was ignored entirely.