• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Domenico Pozzovivo appreciation thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pozzovivo does dell.Emillia and il Lombardia and that's it folks!

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-to-continue-would-be-like-asking-for-trouble
Domenico Pozzovivo will leave professional cycling at the end of this season 2024. He will do so wearing the colors of VF Group-Bardiani CSF-Faizanè and racing two of the mythical races in his country as the classic Giro dell'Emilia and the monument Il Lombardia. It will be on October 12, a month and a half before his 42nd birthday.

"The reasons I am retiring are clearly my age and the risk associated with cycling. To continue would be like asking for trouble. However, I don't lack enthusiasm or excitement for cycling. It never happens to me that I don't feel like getting on the bike or that I'm dragging because I have to train. I always want to train and compete," Pozzovivo told Bici.Pro. "I'm looking forward to racing the Giro dell'Emilia and the Giro di Lombardia. In 2022, I got on the podium at the Giro dell'Emilia (3rd), after fighting with Tadej Pogacar. As for the Giro di Lombardia, it's the classic I like the most and the one that fascinates me the most. I would love to have a good result there."

If anyone had deserved a fluke Giro win or at least a podium, it's this guy. But I guess he was always just one step below the required level, unfortunately. I thought 2012 could be his year when he looked awesome on the Passo Giau. Wonder if it would have been different if the contenders didn't just ride around holding hands while Purito ran away in the final km in that Giro.

If anyone had deserved a fluke Giro win or at least a podium, it's this guy. But I guess he was always just one step below the required level, unfortunately. I thought 2012 could be his year when he looked awesome on the Passo Giau. Wonder if it would have been different if the contenders didn't just ride around holding hands while Purito ran away in the final km in that Giro.
Pozzo peaked to early in 2012. If he had his Punta Veleno shape up towards the Stelvio he might have won the Giro d'Italia!

Same goes if Rujano had gotten his act together. He really would have been able to win that 2012 Giro d'Italia!

In defense to Pozzovivo & Rujano they couldn't have known that all big guns mess up their preparation. Rujano after had some kind of illness after all

In action today
Clipboard.png

Pozzo peaked to early in 2012. If he had his Punta Veleno shape up towards the Stelvio he might have won the Giro d'Italia!

Same goes if Rujano had gotten his act together. He really would have been able to win that 2012 Giro d'Italia!

In defense to Pozzovivo & Rujano they couldn't have known that all big guns mess up their preparation. Rujano after had some kind of illness after all
That Punta Veleno stage was epic, Pozzovivo looked unbeatable that day. Also featured Basso hilariously taking a wrong turn at the foot of the climb IIRC. That climb needs to be in the Giro, not sure why they never went there?

Everybody talk about 2012, but he was flying in 2015 when he crashed out, and was possibly better in 2018 than he was in 2012. Just a stronger field. First giro was 2005. Incredible longevity
The one reason why he didn't podium in 2018 is Finestre, that climb is really bad for his climbing style, at least the sterrato half. He is always standing, riding a big gear and his body is so far forward that he'd dragging the pedals behind. He pretty much always looses traction on his rear wheel in the long run and wastes way more energy than the rest.

Not sure about 2015, he had a heavy racing schedule during that spring (at least for him) and if anyone was going to get sick during the rainly first 2 week of that Giro it's him. That crash looked horrible.

Everybody talk about 2012, but he was flying in 2015 when he crashed out, and was possibly better in 2018 than he was in 2012. Just a stronger field. First giro was 2005. Incredible longevity
Yeah, in 2018 he was great, and mainly got screwed by the Finestre stage. Should absolutely have been a podium otherwise. 2012 was still his best chance at winning though.

His 2015 build-up wasn't that different from most other years, so I'm not sure. Contador, Landa and Aru would have been no joke to go up against in that Giro. In his peak years he had pretty much exactly the same results in the spring races every year, 2016 being a noteably more lacklustre season. Some early-season warmup, then top 10-ish in Tirreno which mostly didn't suit him, sometimes a good showing in Catalunya, the usual beast shape in Trentino followed with consistently exceeding expectations in Liege.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The one reason why he didn't podium in 2018 is Finestre, that climb is really bad for his climbing style, at least the sterrato half. He is always standing, riding a big gear and his body is so far forward that he'd dragging the pedals behind. He pretty much always looses traction on his rear wheel in the long run and wastes way more energy than the rest.

Not sure about 2015, he had a heavy racing schedule during that spring (at least for him) and if anyone was going to get sick during the rainly first 2 week of that Giro it's him. That crash looked horrible.

Plus, it also had Finestre ;)