• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
beatthatrat said:
Upon request from IronDan I'll elaborate on that.
O'Sullivan did not run in Australian colours for the last decade of her career. She did not win a gold medal in the 10k at the MCG in the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
I'm afraid a simple fact check would have helped you out there.

but that is not how this part of the forum works, it is like an extemporaneous conversation, if everyone had to "fact check" each and every submission to the forum, they would not have such a temporal relay of thoughts and exchange of posts.

this is how I got it conflated, since I am from Melbourne, i did know of the embroglio over the racing colours, here is the wiki reference
2006[edit]
In January 2006, O'Sullivan applied for dual citizenship, which would allow her to compete for both Ireland and Australia. This request was granted and she intended to represent Australia at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, but to represent Ireland in all other competitions. She was chosen for the Australian Commonwealth team for the 5000 m. However she wasn't able to compete due to a hamstring injury.

so I was wrong, big deal, for all my positive contributions to this forum in good faith, you have three posts and no major history which lacks all context asserting my motivation. It was a post in good faith, it was not accurate on details, but I was adding to the overarching meta truth.

I've spent many years reading this forum and I've noted that while adding to the overarching meta truth is important it's also very important to be accurate in what you say. In fact, some posters don't post in this part of the forum anymore because the facts they put forward were being challenged so often.
I appreciate that it's only a side-issue and you were just adding your bit in good faith but in the context of O'Sullivan being doubted it was really inaccurate and it makes a difference that she didn't run for Oz (although her husband is an interesting man anyway - good post Hog).

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Sonia O'Sullivan...doper?

So I never said anything or questioned anyone because I felt this would only take energy away from me. And I knew I was doing the right thing. Some athletes were getting away with doing the wrong thing, over and over again, so that they believed that is what it took to be the best.

When she spouts crap like that. Definitely!

It was the Chinese who out doped SOS at the Worlds. Her reaction to the rumours was similar to that of Stephen Rooks as recorded by Walsh when asked about Delgado at the 88 Tour. Yup guilty.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

beatthatrat said:
I appreciate that it's only a side-issue and you were just adding your bit in good faith but in the context of O'Sullivan being doubted it was really inaccurate and it makes a difference that she didn't run for Oz (although her husband is an interesting man anyway - good post Hog).
but around 2006, she was supposed to run for Australia, and this was pretty big story in the media in Melbourne where I am from. And i was actually doing a few runs on cycling for Vaughn over on dailypeloton. If you hear Hog talk, and he would know/remember this time, the Commonwealth games RR that MAtt Hayman won, Matt Keenan was doing one of the commentary feeds, probably just a domestic australia coverage, or a coverage WITH Liggett, and they were raaaaaving about a certain Kenyan in the breakaway in the RR around the Botanic Garden in South Yarra about one mile south of the Melbourne CBD.

This certain was rider from Kenya was David Kinja who was to be Chris Froome's spirit leader or father figure mentor or gestalt of both.

Froome had a crap tt for KEnya.

And in the breakaway, with MAtt Hayman, was two Saffa's, the late Ryan Cox, and David George.

now all that was from my memory, and I cant be bothered googling it. Oh yeah, and Will Walker attempted to jump across to the move in the last 2 laps, and he got pretty close to making the decimated break.

But, the Sonia OSullivan thing was a fairly prominent MSM story about her shifting to run under the colours of her husband, and I think she may have already given birth by then, so the colours of her child. So this is how my memory was kinda jumbled, I apologise to anyone mislead by my incorrect memory and facts in this thread.

It wont be the first time, it would have been ~dozen of times, but I have posted off memory for a few thousand posts, and usually as I said before, Libertine Seguros will kindly correct me if I cant quite get my facts right. Like until I read on the board again a few months ago, about the ~30 or so, unproven Myacera positives in 2007, of which 6 or 7 were supposed to be CSC's, I had completely forgotten, well, not forgotten so much as they were just deep hidden under more recent events, and it would never have popped up organically until someone else had jogged it. Now, I also remember the cera epo as myacera, but the only reference google has is myocera. Or, it is the other way around, I remember it with the "a", but google has only the "o"... (now my memory is further jumbled as proven by this post)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Jacques (7 ch) said:
If you add up all of the information I have provided in good faith to the board, then I think you would concede my memory having this incorrect, but not too far incorrect, I was a cycling person, not an athletics person.

I agree.

Just a shame about the hat in the avatar irony

Millar time is a hipster, need to give him a wide berth. very wide. suez canal wide

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oh yeah, they were raving about Kenja or Kinja's breakaway in the Commonwealth Games, I think it was Liggett AND Keeno in a domestic feed, the ROW, well, atleast the commonwealth countries, were prolly taking Keeno and Liggett's commentary too....

yeah, I prolly spelled his name wrong. I am pretty sure he had long dreadlocks then, but my memory has failed me in this thread so far... so.. who knows, prolly wrong.

blackcat said:
blackcat said:
for Australians, Sonia is married to the Australian journo and owner of Melbourne Track Club, think it was quasi based on a Santa Monica TRack Club, and basically underwritten by rent-seeking from Gov't, Australian Atheltics, Australian Sports Commission, Nike etc...

and if you google the comments Nic Bideu or Bideau made on Collingwood's preseason training at altitude in the last decade over in Arizona, he also managed and was the partner of Cathy Freeman for about 5 years, and when she "won 2000 Olympics..." yeah right... and he managed Craig Mottram and the other female sprinter Lauren Hewitt.

anyway.... Nic knows how the game is played. I think Sonia raced in Australian colours for the last decade of her career, I think she won a gold medal in the 10k at the MCG in the 2006 Commonwealth Games...

folks, you really need to harden up and stop reporting my posts. This post was from my memory, I believe all the facts were correct but could not be bothered to google it, feel free to google them yourselves and correct them. For what its worth, I think it is a post worthy of Libertine Seguros' cycling knowledge and memory. I resent having my posts reported when I make a good faith post in contribution.

There's a very easy solution for you. Don't post something that is easily verifiable as wrong by spending 15 seconds on Google. Adding "I think" doesn't mean its acceptable to make stuff up to try and support an argument.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2015-news-page/november-2015/23-11-15-uka-anti-doping-announcement/

UK Athletics has today announced that former coach George Skafidas has been provisionally suspended from participating in athletics after being charged with having committed anti-doping rule violations.

The provisional suspension issued by UK Anti-Doping and in accordance with IAAF Anti-Doping Rules, came in to effect today. (23 November 2015).

The individual now has the opportunity to respond to the charges against him including the right to a full hearing of the case.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2015-news-page/november-2015/23-11-15-uka-anti-doping-announcement/

UK Athletics has today announced that former coach George Skafidas has been provisionally suspended from participating in athletics after being charged with having committed anti-doping rule violations.

The provisional suspension issued by UK Anti-Doping and in accordance with IAAF Anti-Doping Rules, came in to effect today. (23 November 2015).

The individual now has the opportunity to respond to the charges against him including the right to a full hearing of the case.

Possibly worth including as it adds some background:

https://www.ukad.org.uk/assets/uploads/Files/documents/ADRV-reports/2011-12/UK_Anti-Doping_Written_Decision_276.pdf

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
blackcat said:
blackcat said:
for Australians, Sonia is married to the Australian journo and owner of Melbourne Track Club, think it was quasi based on a Santa Monica TRack Club, and basically underwritten by rent-seeking from Gov't, Australian Atheltics, Australian Sports Commission, Nike etc...

and if you google the comments Nic Bideu or Bideau made on Collingwood's preseason training at altitude in the last decade over in Arizona, he also managed and was the partner of Cathy Freeman for about 5 years, and when she "won 2000 Olympics..." yeah right... and he managed Craig Mottram and the other female sprinter Lauren Hewitt.

anyway.... Nic knows how the game is played. I think Sonia raced in Australian colours for the last decade of her career, I think she won a gold medal in the 10k at the MCG in the 2006 Commonwealth Games...

folks, you really need to harden up and stop reporting my posts. This post was from my memory, I believe all the facts were correct but could not be bothered to google it, feel free to google them yourselves and correct them. For what its worth, I think it is a post worthy of Libertine Seguros' cycling knowledge and memory. I resent having my posts reported when I make a good faith post in contribution.

There's a very easy solution for you. Don't post something that is easily verifiable as wrong by spending 15 seconds on Google. Adding "I think" doesn't mean its acceptable to make stuff up to try and support an argument.

I am not making stuff up. Ask Libertine Seguros about all the esoteric information that will not be accessed on google or a way-back-machine.

All such esoterica comes from the same place. If you wanna argue semantics and trivial matters, yeah, I am technically incorrect on something like the GHRP-7 peptide being gene doping, or even on the spectrum of gene doping, but I am definitely NOT incorrect in using it as metaphor or analogy. And yes, metaphor versus analogy are not one and the same. And yes, there IS NOT spectrum of gene doping...

now wrt Sonia OSullivan, I was not making this up, I was incorrect, however, this conflation is understandable as in 2005/6 these was a material embroglio concering OSullivan re: representing Australia, and in my own internal algorithm, which was incorrect in the end, it came out that I thought and remembered (incorrectly) that she represented Australia for a significant time, and she won the gold in 10k. Turns out all those things were incorrect. But ask someone like Libertine Seguros who is definitely the most knowledgeable poster, and ask others like Dear Wiggo, Helmut Roole, Mrs John Murphy, and Race Radio, if I do not bring something to the table and offer recondite information. One thing I dont do is lie, and make $hit up.

blackcat said:
King Boonen said:
blackcat said:
blackcat said:

I am not making stuff up. Ask Libertine Seguros about all the esoteric information that will not be accessed on google or a way-back-machine.

All such esoterica comes from the same place. If you wanna argue semantics and trivial matters, yeah, I am technically incorrect on something like the GHRP-7 peptide being gene doping, or even on the spectrum of gene doping, but I am definitely NOT incorrect in using it as metaphor or analogy. And yes, metaphor versus analogy are not one and the same. And yes, there IS NOT spectrum of gene doping...

now wrt Sonia OSullivan, I was not making this up, I was incorrect, however, this conflation is understandable as in 2005/6 these was a material embroglio concering OSullivan re: representing Australia, and in my own internal algorithm, which was incorrect in the end, it came out that I thought and remembered (incorrectly) that she represented Australia for a significant time, and she won the gold in 10k. Turns out all those things were incorrect. But ask someone like Libertine Seguros who is definitely the most knowledgeable poster, and ask others like Dear Wiggo, Helmut Roole, Mrs John Murphy, and Race Radio, if I do not bring something to the table and offer recondite information. One thing I dont do is lie, and make $hit up.

OSullivan lived and trained in Melbourne for a good period of time during her career. To race there she had to join a club to be part of the state track series. Fading memory but she was also part of the VIS.

May have even settled there now.

Edit: She competed at the Australian Nationals running for Victoria and raced for Vic as well at the state league and Mobil series.

blackcat said:

Irrelevant. This was a set of facts that could have been checked in 15 seconds on Google. We're not talking an National library request for old newspapers on microfiche here.

I have no idea what you are talking about, I don't see that anywhere in the post.

Again, what you claimed was easily verifiable in about 15 seconds. Sonia O'Sullivan didn't even compete at the Commonwealth Games you claimed she won a gold medal at. A conflation over her representative status would be understandable, claiming she won the Gold medal in a competition she didn't even compete in (in a race she wasn't even selected to run) is not. Stating falsehoods weakens any argument. Stating falsehoods that could have been checked in a fraction of a minute, when they come from a supposedly hazy memory is, frankly, lazy posting and is only likely to start an argument. In fact, in many cases on here it appears to be done on purpose specifically TO cause an argument (I'm not accusing you of this).

It really doesn't matter whether you bring a lot to the forum or not. Everyone should check their facts and they shouldn't moan when they are pulled up on it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
OSullivan lived and trained in Melbourne for a good period of time during her career. To race there she had to join a club to be part of the state track series. Fading memory but she was also part of the VIS.

Edit: She competed at the Australian Nationals running for Victoria and raced for Vic as well at the state league and Mobil series.

yes, I have seen Sonia and Nic around 18 months back in St Kilda, was gonna ask Nic with a nod-and-wink about his comments in the HeraldSun about 6 years ago about David Buttifant at Collingwood and them doing their pre-season training at altitude in Pheonix, he was pretty scornful, since he coached middle-distance runners and managed them.

Sonia was at Melbourne Track Club, MTC, the Nike sponsored club/team. They had a child years back I think (if I am allowed to say it that way), and prolly have a larger family by now.

edit:phoenix AZ. spelling

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
blackcat said:

Irrelevant. This was a set of facts that could have been checked in 15 seconds on Google. We're not talking an National library request for old newspapers on microfiche here.
not irrelevant at all.

this aint a court of law. I provide a consistent amount of details and facts that otherwise ignorant posters would not come across, and you wish to take a shot at me?

blackcat said:
King Boonen said:
blackcat said:

not irrelevant at all.

this aint a court of law. I provide a consistent amount of details and facts that otherwise ignorant posters would not come across, and you wish to take a shot at me?

I don't believe expecting someone to fact-check something they admit they are hazy over to be taking a shot at someone. I have do not and will not take shots at posters, I only discuss their posts.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Again, what you claimed was easily verifiable in about 15 seconds. Sonia O'Sullivan didn't even compete at the Commonwealth Games you claimed she won a gold medal at. A conflation over her representative status would be understandable, claiming she won the Gold medal in a competition she didn't even compete in (in a race she wasn't even selected to run) is not. Stating falsehoods weakens any argument. Stating falsehoods that could have been checked in a fraction of a minute, when they come from a supposedly hazy memory is, frankly, lazy posting and is only likely to start an argument. In fact, in many cases on here it appears to be done on purpose specifically TO cause an argument (I'm not accusing you of this).

It really doesn't matter whether you bring a lot to the forum or not. Everyone should check their facts and they shouldn't moan when they are pulled up on it.

dude, it was about 9 years ago now, and there was quite a hullabaloo surround OSullivan's status in the anteceding years, so it is not a massive conflation, I was wrong, I admitted it, you seem to require me to fact-check everything,

well, that is not how I use the forum, I use it as an ephemeral conversation and dialogue. Ask the moderators to ban me if you take offence, i am sure you will find others to support you.

blackcat said:
thehog said:

yes, I have seen Sonia and Nic around 18 months back in St Kilda, was gonna ask Nic with a nod-and-wink about his comments in the HeraldSun about 6 years ago about David Buttifant at Collingwood and them doing their pre-season training at altitude in Pheonix, he was pretty scornful, since he coached middle-distance runners and managed them.

Sonia was at Melbourne Track Club, MTC, the Nike sponsored club/team. They had a child years back I think (if I am allowed to say it that way), and prolly have a larger family by now.

I don't see that you making anything up. It was generalised information and presented well. I wouldn't worry about King Boonen.. You're intel is good.

blackcat said:
King Boonen said:
blackcat said:
blackcat said:

You'd really want to get over it.
I don't know why someone would bother to report it but it needed to be corrected. This will only add to what you brought to the table.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
listen King Boonen, for other Australian posters who are aware of the matter, they will back me up that I have provided a consistent amount of esoteric material on SoniaOS and my errors were not in bad faith. You got a material amount of additional information that is not available otherwise.

Now you may well now contest my hazy memory and be a law-court judge and question the validity of my posts. Well, I will go back to invoking Libertine Seguros, ask her if my memory from espoir and neo-pro riders over a decade back, is still pretty accurate. I dont follow cycling anymore, like the quote Helmut Roole said about the doping politics spectre, well, this is what holds my attention too. not the cycling.

but a honorable mention to Sagan and Nibali. and Cancellara. And Kristoff this year.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
I don't see that you making anything up. It was generalised information and presented well. I wouldn't worry about King Boonen.. You're intel is good.

and Buttifant was the performance-coach, the athletic coach, or condition coach at Collingwood, Nic Bideau had a good ol laff about Dane Swan's 8 days in Phoenix, said "5 days to recover from jetlag before you can train at 100%, and 5 days on the return where you are jetlagged, it neutralises any possibility at gains"... words to that effect. Not the exact quote, I tried to find it in the last year, I couldn't find it on heraldsun.com.au or any other source online. But he did say it, Dear Wiggo will back me up, he would have remembered it.

I loved the meta-dialogue of Bideau's article, for us in The Clinic it was pretty transparent at what NB was saying about Swan Buttifant and Collingwood.... hehehhehe.

Re:

blackcat said:
listen King Boonen, for other Australian posters who are aware of the matter, they will back me up that I have provided a consistent amount of esoteric material on SoniaOS and my errors were not in bad faith. You got a material amount of additional information that is not available otherwise.

Now you may well now contest my hazy memory and be a law-court judge and question the validity of my posts. Well, I will go back to invoking Libertine Seguros, ask her if my memory from espoir and neo-pro riders over a decade back, is still pretty accurate. I dont follow cycling anymore, like the quote Helmut Roole said about the doping politics spectre, well, this is what holds my attention too. not the cycling.

but a honorable mention to Sagan and Nibali. and Cancellara. And Kristoff this year.

I have not done that. I have said you should have fact checked one post that was easily verifiable.

blackcat said:
dude, it was about 9 years ago now, and there was quite a hullabaloo surround OSullivan's status in the anteceding years, so it is not a massive conflation, I was wrong, I admitted it, you seem to require me to fact-check everything,

well, that is not how I use the forum, I use it as an ephemeral conversation and dialogue. Ask the moderators to ban me if you take offence, i am sure you will find others to support you.

No I don't. I said you should have checked something that was extremely easy to check and you admitted you weren't sure over.

Admitted you were wrong? No, you complained someone had reported you and went on to claim you should be able to post what you want as long as you believe it is in good faith.

Ask for you to be banned? Why? I've never asked for anyone to be banned, I would prefer no-one got banned personally and, frankly, I like a lot of what you post. I'm merely pointing out that you should fact-check something that is very easily checked.

Anyway, this is circular so I'm done.

King Boonen said:
Catwhoorg said:

Possibly worth including as it adds some background:

https://www.ukad.org.uk/assets/uploads/Files/documents/ADRV-reports/2011-12/UK_Anti-Doping_Written_Decision_276.pdf

Thanks for the addition

Frosty said:
The report into the conduct of the IAAF officials will have a 'wow factor' when released (likely to be in January)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/34918165

"One fear is that if we issue it on the Friday before Christmas, for example, no one will notice it and we want to have the maximum impact and deterrent," he said.

Just as well Pound doesn't want to ruin Christmas :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS