• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
noddy69 said:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/was-sonia-osullivan-cheated-back-in-1993-461530.html

Was Sonia cheated ? Maybe the headline should read were the Chinese doping ? Simple answer is yes...was Sonia doping too ....harder to answer
Everything wrong with sports journalism captured beautifully in that headline.

Re:

masking_agent said:
Is the world ever going to find out the truth about Usain Bolt ? or are we witnessing ANOTHER greatest sports cover up ever ? Anything that raises eyebrows in the recent past that anyone has come across ? I'd love to know. thx
Probably not...protected entity? Might be too good of a story (and a money maker) to be tarnished. Kinda like the witness protection program. Lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ympic-athletes-claims-whistleblower-athletics
A former doctor for the Chinese Olympic team has revealed that more than 10,000 of the country’s athletes were involved in a systematic doping programme across all sports – and that every one of China’s medals in major tournaments in the 1980s and 90s came from performance‑enhancing drugs.

Xue Yinxian, a 79-year-old Chinese whistleblower who is seeking political asylum in Germany, also claimed that athletes aged as young as 11 were introduced to the compulsory doping scheme – which existed in football, athletics, swimming, volleyball, basketball, table tennis, diving, gymnastics and weightlifting – and that anyone who spoke against the system now sits in jail.

“In the 1980s and 90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances,” Xue told the German broadcaster ARD.

“Medals were tainted by doping – gold, silver and bronze. There must have been more than 10,000 people involved. People believed only in doping, anyone who took doping substances was seen to be defending the country. All international medals [won by Chinese athletes in that time] should be taken back.”
China has long been linked with accusations of doping – although never before on this scale. In February athletes linked to the controversial track coach Ma Junren, whose athletes broke 66 national and world records, said they had been forced to take performance-enhancing drugs.

In a letter published by Tencent Sports they wrote: “We are humans, not animals. For many years, [we were] forced to take a large dose of illegal drugs – it was true.” Ma always claimed his athletes’ success was down to hard training at high altitude in Tibet, turtle blood and caterpillar fungus.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ympic-athletes-claims-whistleblower-athletics
A former doctor for the Chinese Olympic team has revealed that more than 10,000 of the country’s athletes were involved in a systematic doping programme across all sports – and that every one of China’s medals in major tournaments in the 1980s and 90s came from performance‑enhancing drugs.

Xue Yinxian, a 79-year-old Chinese whistleblower who is seeking political asylum in Germany, also claimed that athletes aged as young as 11 were introduced to the compulsory doping scheme – which existed in football, athletics, swimming, volleyball, basketball, table tennis, diving, gymnastics and weightlifting – and that anyone who spoke against the system now sits in jail.

“In the 1980s and 90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances,” Xue told the German broadcaster ARD.

“Medals were tainted by doping – gold, silver and bronze. There must have been more than 10,000 people involved. People believed only in doping, anyone who took doping substances was seen to be defending the country. All international medals [won by Chinese athletes in that time] should be taken back.”
China has long been linked with accusations of doping – although never before on this scale. In February athletes linked to the controversial track coach Ma Junren, whose athletes broke 66 national and world records, said they had been forced to take performance-enhancing drugs.

In a letter published by Tencent Sports they wrote: “We are humans, not animals. For many years, [we were] forced to take a large dose of illegal drugs – it was true.” Ma always claimed his athletes’ success was down to hard training at high altitude in Tibet, turtle blood and caterpillar fungus.

This brings the Armstrong argument to the fore in which everyone who said he must have doped because all the top finishers around him in the Tour got caught doping were proven correct in the end.

Just going on the Summer Olympics, If China had or has a doping programme what does this say about Russia, The USA and even Great Britain? China hasn't dominated these countries at all other than topping the medal table when they hosted in 2008.

Re: Re:

Sciatic said:
TheSpud said:

Time for certain segments of the British press to roll out every doping story they've been working on/sitting on, as means of deflecting attention to Froome?

I don't think so, Froome didn't even get main billing for his failed test so if they wanted to cover up they wouldn't have needed to try hard.

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Sciatic said:
TheSpud said:

Time for certain segments of the British press to roll out every doping story they've been working on/sitting on, as means of deflecting attention to Froome?

There doesn't seem to be anything directly on Gatlin and comments I've seen (eg Richard Ings on Twitter) suggest it was a sting and that the details don't quite add up, so this may be riding on the coat-tails of the Froome story to get bigger billing than it otherwise might.

Just as an aside while I was looking up some info on Clenbuterol the Wikipedia page has this:

"In 2014, Czech body builder Petr Soukup received a lifetime ban after a positive test for clenbuterol, metenolon, mesterolon, methamphetamine, oxandrolon, stanozolol, nandrolon, fluoxymesterone, DHCMtestosterone and metandienon"

That's some failure ...

Re:

TheSpud said:
Just as an aside while I was looking up some info on Clenbuterol the Wikipedia page has this:

"In 2014, Czech body builder Petr Soukup received a lifetime ban after a positive test for clenbuterol, metenolon, mesterolon, methamphetamine, oxandrolon, stanozolol, nandrolon, fluoxymesterone, DHCMtestosterone and metandienon"

That's some failure ...

Maybe he got the ban for not trying hard enough. That sounds like a pretty light programme in the world of body building. I thought they gave up even the pretence of testing in that sport long ago :lol:

Asthma sufferer again?!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/42465404
British sprinter Nigel Levine has failed a drugs test.

Levine, 28, is alleged to have tested positive for the banned asthma drug clenbuterol and the Daily Mail reports he is waiting for his B sample result.

The European indoor gold medallist broke his pelvis in a motorbike crash in Spain in January - the accident also involved fellow Briton James Ellington.

Levine has returned to training but has not competed since and in April he told BBC Sport he was coping "pretty well".

Clenbuterol is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list because it is deemed a performance-enhancing drug and can induce weight-loss.

A few times a week I read Cycling news and Velonews and a little less often.. with the literal implosion of long term sponsorship..Froome getting popped and a huge amount of coverage on women's cycling about equal pay for an unequal product.. cycling is real trouble.. motorized doping has the ground cycling races on possibly being pulled out from under it..
How in the f-ck. can the sites both report on an island exiled dog ice cream salesman, convicted and banned from cycling until 2023 for doping get headlines on both sites!!!???!!!
Ricco is a disgraceful fool..why with limited resources can bike racing websites spend money asking..or caring what Ricco thinks about anything..?
Let the guy sell ice cream in peace.. let him return to cycling when it's legal in 2023..

Re:

Unchained said:
A few times a week I read Cycling news and Velonews and a little less often.. with the literal implosion of long term sponsorship..Froome getting popped and a huge amount of coverage on women's cycling about equal pay for an unequal product.. cycling is real trouble.. motorized doping has the ground cycling races on possibly being pulled out from under it..
How in the f-ck. can the sites both report on an island exiled dog ice cream salesman, convicted and banned from cycling until 2023 for doping get headlines on both sites!!!???!!!
Ricco is a disgraceful fool..why with limited resources can bike racing websites spend money asking..or caring what Ricco thinks about anything..?
Let the guy sell ice cream in peace.. let him return to cycling when it's legal in 2023..

Wait, what!?!? :confused:

brownbobby said:
Zebadeedee said:

I have absolutely no idea. Neither do you. People, athletes and non athletes, die young and suddenly for lots of different reasons.

I asked a question. No need for a sulky reply.

Here's another one for you, as you seem to like more certainty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-5361925/British-sprinter-Nigel-Levine-charged-doping.html

Happier now?

Zebadeedee said:
brownbobby said:
Zebadeedee said:

I have absolutely no idea. Neither do you. People, athletes and non athletes, die young and suddenly for lots of different reasons.

I asked a question. No need for a sulky reply.

Here's another one for you, as you seem to like more certainty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-5361925/British-sprinter-Nigel-Levine-charged-doping.html

Happier now?

No, what there's no need for is you trying to link the untimely death of a young man to doping with zero evidence. Yours wasn't 'just a question'; it was a heavily loaded question.

And WTF would a random story about a confirmed doping case make me any more or less happy about your original post :confused:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Kokoso does seem to bite whenever I post anything about Kreiziger - My post from three months ago - UCI charged Kreuziger with a ABP violation - The Czech Olympic Committee found no case to answer - The UCI appealed to CAS - Then CAS and the UCI dropped the case a few days before the hearing - So Kreuziger committed no anti-doping violation - It's crystal clear,
You wrote Kreuziger beat BPS. I was argumenting againts that.

If you wrote it this way first time, I would have not argued.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

veganrob said:
yaco said:
Kokoso does seem to bite whenever I post anything about Kreiziger - My post from three months ago - UCI charged Kreuziger with a ABP violation - The Czech Olympic Committee found no case to answer - The UCI appealed to CAS - Then CAS and the UCI dropped the case a few days before the hearing - So Kreuziger committed no anti-doping violation - It's crystal clear,
Not to mention he keeps calling it the BSP
Well Yaco was first to call it BSP, I've just followed :)

TRENDING THREADS