• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...t-kenya-bahrain-steeplechase?CMP=share_btn_tw
Ruth Jebet, the reigning Olympic 3,000m steeplechase champion and world record holder, has become the highest-profile Kenya-born athlete to become embroiled in a drug-testing scandal.

Although the news has not yet been confirmed, a number of prominent sources have suggested Jebet has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug, believed to be the blood booster EPO.
I guess the 8:52 world record was too good to be true. A big name bust in any case, if this turns out to be true.

She's representing Bahrain nowadays, and there may have been a training camp bust in Kenya last week where her coach was arrested. https://twitter.com/thierryvildary/status/970340315751178241

Some conflicting information about who is coaching her (I also saw Khalid Boulami mentioned), and not really clear who else is in the same training group.

Vetter throwing the javelin 92.70m this early in the year is a brilliant mark. But I do wonder about the German team all suddenly adding so many meters to their throws since 2015-16. Did they figure out something totally new about javelin throwing technique?

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Nederick said:
Kiprop. Wow!

"To those who have ever violated doping, I'm not part of you & I'm not about to join you. So don't celebrate. To the haters, Time will hurt you back. And to friends who believes I'm not who they thought I am; trust is measured. To a few who believes in hardwork sacrifice hope & breakthroughs the truth will outstand every challenge because the process is indeed truth fair play & transparency manifesting itself in our sport. I enjoy every bit of it & happy to be associated to. #FancyBears"

Re:

Nederick said:
Kiprop. Wow!
Definitely! EPO positive reported - biggest catch on the men's side since Morrocan Rashid Ramzi (2008 CERA positive IC at Bejing/gold medal 1500 stripped). Kiprop is one of the greatest 1500m runners of all-time. 5th fastest ever (3:26.69) and only one of three runners to ever go sub-3:27 (El G & Lagat). Olympic gold medalist (Beijing) and 3xWorld Champion.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/02/athletics-olympic-champion-asbel-kiprop-tests-positive-drug-epo-kenyan

Re: Re:

Nomad said:
Nederick said:
Kiprop. Wow!
Definitely! EPO positive reported - biggest catch on the men's side since Morrocan Rashid Ramzi (2008 CERA positive IC at Bejing/gold medal 1500 stripped).
Oh dear. Advance notice? Oh dear oh dear. Bribery? Oh dear oh dear oh dear. An attempted cover up? Oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Statement
On 26th November 2017 I was notified by way of telephone call from an anti-doping agent, Mr. Simon Karugu “Mburu” to be available for doping test on 27th November 2017 at my disclosed whereabouts, by then Iten.
And
After the Doping Control Officers [Mr. Paul Scott and Mr. Simon Karugu “Mburu”] arrived at 7.50am, and after I had given them the urine sample Mr. Simon Karugu “Mburu” asked [for the first time in their visits] if I could give them some money. He did not specify how much they needed.
And
I have been asked to admit that I doped so that I would be made an ambassador of I.A.A.F on anti-doping. I have refused, as this is not only untrue but also a fraud. I do not need absolution on the allegations.

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Nomad said:
Nederick said:
Kiprop. Wow!
Definitely! EPO positive reported - biggest catch on the men's side since Morrocan Rashid Ramzi (2008 CERA positive IC at Bejing/gold medal 1500 stripped).
Oh dear. Advance notice? Oh dear oh dear. Bribery? Oh dear oh dear oh dear. An attempted cover up? Oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Statement
On 26th November 2017 I was notified by way of telephone call from an anti-doping agent, Mr. Simon Karugu “Mburu” to be available for doping test on 27th November 2017 at my disclosed whereabouts, by then Iten.
And
After the Doping Control Officers [Mr. Paul Scott and Mr. Simon Karugu “Mburu”] arrived at 7.50am, and after I had given them the urine sample Mr. Simon Karugu “Mburu” asked [for the first time in their visits] if I could give them some money. He did not specify how much they needed.
And
I have been asked to admit that I doped so that I would be made an ambassador of I.A.A.F on anti-doping. I have refused, as this is not only untrue but also a fraud. I do not need absolution on the allegations.

Several years ago,it was revealed that advance notice is standard operating procedure. Discussed here: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=7022900

Thread title is Reid Coolsaet busts the myth that Kenyans don't get tested out of comp . Canadian Marathoner tweets "Kenyan style anti-doping test. Notify us the night before. 1 hour drive to test site at 5am. Many Olympic medalists in house." Thread discusses a) that there are OOC tests (this was a year after coach Renato Canova said there were no OOC blood tests in Kenya, 2014 I believe), and b) that they had advance notice. Renato Canova chimes in to say that this is regular.

Another big point on the exchange of money: that kind of charity is regular in Kenya. I'm not Kenyan, but the situation (freely asking for and giving money) itself will arise suspicion in most readers that needn't be there. But, that money was exchanged does add a wrinkle, given the history of bribery and corruption in Kenyan anti-doping. (One official was arrested, one official kicked out of IAAF, in response to asking for bribes to cover up or give advance notice of testing; that is all independent of the higher up scandals of Diack and others).

More context: Kiprop is third fastest ever. His gold medal was won through redistribution of the podium after a CERA bust. He was 18 then, 28 now. Multi-time world champion. Had been on an IAAF suspicion list, a list leaked by fancy bears last year. He vehemently denied of course. He is managed by the Rosas, who have had many athletes test positive. They had been arrested (or questioned? can't remember) by police in Kenya a year or two ago.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Kiprop situation getting very messy. Will the approach to blatant Kenyan doping change? Maybe, after all the lid started to come off Russia's blatant doping when the Shobukhova bribery scandal broke. Moral of the story. Doping is fine. Doping and bribery very very bad!

Meanwhile Paula (Seb's nominee for the IAAF's athlete's commission no less) shows there is no argument that she can't get on the wrong side of. The bizarre new testo rules aimed soley at Caster were toast from the moment they were published...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/43995246

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/44312755
Three-time world champion Asbel Kiprop said he paid drugs testers because he "thought they wanted the money for fuel or tea".

Kiprop, who won 1500m gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, tested positive for EPO out of competition in 2017.

The 28-year-old Kenyan alleged his sample "turned positive" because he did not give the testers enough money.

"It is rare for them to ask for money. They didn't specify the amount," Kiprop told BBC Sport.

"To me, I could trust them. It didn't even come into my mind that I was in a sensitive position."

Kiprop also said:

He was visited by the same testers three times that week
He would frequently be asked by testers to go to their houses to give samples
He would always be forewarned he was going to be tested, which is against anti-doping rules
He has since texted the testers to ask why they no longer test him themselves, and has received no reply
He "almost wishes" he had doped so that he could deal with the situation better
He believes dopers should serve a jail term

In May the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) rejected claims his sample was tampered with and that testers had asked him for money.

Kiprop was tested on 27 November 2017 in Iten, Kenya, having been told the previous night that doping control officers would be visiting.

Although that is against protocol, Kiprop said he did not take it as "something serious" because it had happened before.

The AIU said Kiprop's sample was not tampered with but said it is "extremely disappointing" he was given advance notice of the test.

He alleges a doping control officer - one of two present - asked for money before he had given a urine sample.

After supplying his sample, he left it unattended with the testers while he went to his bedroom to get his mobile phone, through which he paid them via electronic transfer.

"I have never violated the anti-doping rules or try to avoid the testers because I am sincere to myself and I support anti-doping," Kiprop said.

"I was so confident about my sample. I never even doubted myself.

"The minute I went into my room to send them the money, probably something happened there on the table to my urine sample."

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/44312755
Three-time world champion Asbel Kiprop said he paid drugs testers because he "thought they wanted the money for fuel or tea".

Kiprop, who won 1500m gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, tested positive for EPO out of competition in 2017.

The 28-year-old Kenyan alleged his sample "turned positive" because he did not give the testers enough money.

"It is rare for them to ask for money. They didn't specify the amount," Kiprop told BBC Sport.

"To me, I could trust them. It didn't even come into my mind that I was in a sensitive position."

Kiprop also said:

He was visited by the same testers three times that week
He would frequently be asked by testers to go to their houses to give samples
He would always be forewarned he was going to be tested, which is against anti-doping rules
He has since texted the testers to ask why they no longer test him themselves, and has received no reply
He "almost wishes" he had doped so that he could deal with the situation better
He believes dopers should serve a jail term

In May the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) rejected claims his sample was tampered with and that testers had asked him for money.

Kiprop was tested on 27 November 2017 in Iten, Kenya, having been told the previous night that doping control officers would be visiting.

Although that is against protocol, Kiprop said he did not take it as "something serious" because it had happened before.

The AIU said Kiprop's sample was not tampered with but said it is "extremely disappointing" he was given advance notice of the test.

He alleges a doping control officer - one of two present - asked for money before he had given a urine sample.

After supplying his sample, he left it unattended with the testers while he went to his bedroom to get his mobile phone, through which he paid them via electronic transfer.

"I have never violated the anti-doping rules or try to avoid the testers because I am sincere to myself and I support anti-doping," Kiprop said.

"I was so confident about my sample. I never even doubted myself.

"The minute I went into my room to send them the money, probably something happened there on the table to my urine sample."

That whole thing sounds dodgy AF.

TRENDING THREADS