• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Amos won Silver at London where the WR was set that day by Kenya's David Rudisha.

Tested positive for GW1516 which in mouse studies boosted endurance by 70%:

But the trials were killed & no human clinical were done after some of the mice developed cancer.

Can be detected up to 40 days after a single 15mg dose:

Reactions: Invicituz

Amos won Silver at London where the WR was set that day by Kenya's David Rudisha.

Tested positive for GW1516 which in mouse studies boosted endurance by 70%:

But the trials were killed & no human clinical were done after some of the mice developed cancer.

Can be detected up to 40 days after a single 15mg dose:

Interesting and thanks for posting. I haven’t seen GW1516 pop up in doping news for quite some time—wondered whether it had become too easily detectable or some other reason.

Interesting and thanks for posting. I haven’t seen GW1516 pop up in doping news for quite some time—wondered whether it had become too easily detectable or some other reason.
It has always been easy to detect because you're glowing for a long time. Even crossfit athletes, one of the most radioactive "sports" are getting popped for it left and right in competition...

Reactions: Sciatic
It has always been easy to detect because you're glowing for a long time. Even crossfit athletes, one of the most radioactive "sports" are getting popped for it left and right in competition...
Up to 40 days after just one single 15 mg oral dose:

I've heard the standard dose is 10-20 mg per day. With a glow time like that, I'd say a bunch of dumb dopers. Lol.

Reactions: Scarponi
Do not care how doped up Gidey was, she had ran that 10,000m (here in Eugene) beautifully.

Except for blatantly moving to her right and elbowing her rival, twice, in the chest. She clearly looked back to see where she was and then moved over and elbowed her. How there was no warning, at absolute least, is beyond me, but this has been a depressing world championships. Stadium not even half full, little emotion from the fans, small fields, and who schedules an event like this in the middle summer, the hottest part of the year?

Except for blatantly moving to her right and elbowing her rival, twice, in the chest. She clearly looked back to see where she was and then moved over and elbowed her. How there was no warning, at absolute least, is beyond me, but this has been a depressing world championships. Stadium not even half full, little emotion from the fans, small fields, and who schedules an event like this in the middle summer, the hottest part of the year?
I bought tickets to go to three days of events (it's about a 6 hour drive away), but then couldn't go cause I used all my vacation time caring for my mom. But seeing what it looks and sounds like there (like of excitement), I'm fine that I didn't go. Was able to sell all my tickets but some at cut values--there are still tickets left for evening sessions with multiple finals, I never would have imagined that for such a 1st-time-in-history event.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I bought tickets to go to three days of events (it's about a 6 hour drive away), but then couldn't go cause I used all my vacation time caring for my mom. But seeing what it looks and sounds like there (like of excitement), I'm fine that I didn't go. Was able to sell all my tickets but some at cut values--there are still tickets left for evening sessions with multiple finals, I never would have imagined that for such a 1st-time-in-history event.

Covid aside (though it does play a role in traveling and attendance) on running forums they've mentioned Eugene is difficult to get to for out-of-towners and doesn't offer a variety of amenities like much bigger cities do. I think that's a valid critique, Eugene just isn't big enough for such a big event like the Worlds. I'd also say Eugene itself may be suffering from track&field fatigue... up until a few years ago the Prefontaine Classic was the biggest international meet held annually here and it was very special and always filled the seats. But now we have every championship imaginable, so the Worlds don't feel as special even though they should.

Then there's Phil Knight's latest eyesore the new Hayward Field... I felt a genuine fondness for the old Hayward Field even though it was falling apart. The new Hayward is obviously three times as big and was built specifically so Eugene could host the Worlds, this is a sticking point for some locals including me. We're just aging farts set in our ways who would prefer to stay at home and watch on TV, the new Hayward is for the younger generations.

Anyhoo, sorry to hear about your mom (I'm going through the same with my old folks), but I don't think you really missed out by not coming. Hopefully you get Peacock's streaming coverage, I think it's quite good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sciatic
The marathon runners lucked out because on both mornings it was unusually and pleasantly cool. But the rest yeah, they get our usual summer weather. At least it's not like last year though when we were breaking temp records by going over 100F, or even a couple years ago when the sky was literally orange from all the surrounding wildfires.

So, yeah, the weather (and even location) could be better, but it could also be worse.

Reactions: Nomad
Covid aside (though it does play a role in traveling and attendance) on running forums they've mentioned Eugene is difficult to get to for out-of-towners and doesn't offer a variety of amenities like much bigger cities do. I think that's a valid critique, Eugene just isn't big enough for such a big event like the Worlds. I'd also say Eugene itself may be suffering from track&field fatigue... up until a few years ago the Prefontaine Classic was the biggest international meet held annually here and it was very special and always filled the seats. But now we have every championship imaginable, so the Worlds don't feel as special even though they should.

Then there's Phil Knight's latest eyesore the new Hayward Field... I felt a genuine fondness for the old Hayward Field even though it was falling apart. The new Hayward is obviously three times as big and was built specifically so Eugene could host the Worlds, this is a sticking point for some locals including me. We're just aging farts set in our ways who would prefer to stay at home and watch on TV, the new Hayward is for the younger generations.

Anyhoo, sorry to hear about your mom (I'm going through the same with my old folks), but I don't think you really missed out by not coming. Hopefully you get Peacock's streaming coverage, I think it's quite good.
Thanks Trike, those are really good points. I’ve watched some events via the Belgian broadcast (VPN) where I usually watch the Spring classics.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
US 26 medals to the next highest nation's 8. I know they're the hosts and they have traditionally been a big team for this sport, but they've locked out the podium in a number of events, and Bol aside, locked out the entire top 5 of the 400mh.

The other thing to raise is, Tokyo aside, when was the last time McLaughlin ran outside the USA? She never does the Diamond League or the Continental Tour. Muhammad occasionally ran the DL in the last couple of years but got absolutely dusted by Bol when she did, and it seems there's a clear hierarchy developing here with McLaughlin head and shoulders above Bol and Muhammad then a gap to everybody else, and Bol's the only one of those three anybody ever sees run on a regular basis because she if anything runs too much, doing almost every DL and Continental Tour 400mh going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lui98
Tobi Amusan in the women's 100mH must be discussed. For context, when 2022 began she had a PB of 12.49s. Through the course of the season she had shaved off 0.08 and came into the World Champs with a PB of 12.41s. She ran the PB in Paris on the 18th of June.

In the 3 runs in Eugene she went 12.40s (heat), 12.12s (semi) and 12.06s (final). Her semifinal run smashed the previous world record (it was previously 12.20s). The final run was faster but the wind-reading was +2.5m/s, and therefore the time did not count.

So either she's on some serious dope to make such a massive quantum leap in performance in the space of a month, or the wind-meter was faulty in the 12.12s run (it was apparently +0.9m/s).

TRENDING THREADS