Doping In Athletics

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
it was all about trying to stay sane during covid lockdowns. No mention of another other potential enhancements during covid. Goddamn, I guess people just want to overlook PEDs, makes things easier.
I read that article a few days ago and wondered what the hell was going on. First, the pachyderm in the pantry wasn't even mentioned, when obviously it needed to be. But then, when shoes were mentioned, that was just glossed over as if it had no role at all in explaining things. Then - and here my recall of the article may be failing me, I admit that it lost me that easily - the story seemed to be that the old orthodoxy of pacing was being thrown out in favour of time trialling through races, only for the story to more or less dismiss that too. At the end, I really don't know what was meant to be the point of it.

I read that article a few days ago and wondered what the hell was going on. First, the pachyderm in the pantry wasn't even mentioned, when obviously it needed to be. But then, when shoes were mentioned, that was just glossed over as if it had no role at all in explaining things. Then - and here my recall of the article may be failing me, I admit that it lost me that easily - the story seemed to be that the old orthodoxy of pacing was being thrown out in favour of time trialling through races, only for the story to more or less dismiss that too. At the end, I really don't know what was meant to be the point of it.
Ah ha ha. The writer definitely ignored the pachyderm!!

To sell Peloton subscriptions?
At one point, he kept himself motivated by attempting to finish first in as many online Peloton group classes as possible.
I enjoyed the article, but it (sadly) had no thesis. The headline was a clickbait.

I also disagree that the effect was apparent in lower levels like high schools. Of course, some records are going to fall every year, but there is really no evidence that this was accelerated by the pandemic.

What is happening at the upper echelons, especially in the distance races was remarkable. But, this was clearly a trend that started well before the Pandemic. Kipchoge's assault on the record book for example. Even on the track, look back to the 2016 olympics women's 10k where a WR and 8 NRs fell. Except for Sifan's brief hold of the WR this summer, all her PBs were from summer 2019 or earlier.

both are easy to ignore.....and have little impact upon pro sport......

Mark L
If you can't get around them the TV ads can be very annoying and repetitive (just like car ads), but on the general I agree, this shouldn't have any major impact on pro sports.

Of course, are you guys talking about the people who show up at the local crit or for the weekend ride and all they can talk about is how they've been training on Peloton without actually having ever touched a real bike? That would be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: djpbaltimore

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS