Doping In Athletics

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And if you look back over to include the last two Olympic years he's down in joint 11th and 14th. He's clearly a special athlete, but the current top long jump distances are well below what they have been in the recent past (I have no idea if he stopped at 2.33m in the high jump or failed the next height).

Reactions: Koronin
"Get off my lawn!" :)

Sha'carri Richardson is my No. 1 choice to get busted after winning an Olympic gold medal.

Seriously, Dennis Mitchell? How is it that he is even allowed within 50 km of an athletics meet?

On the other hand, maybe it's a case of "there's NO WAY she'd be glowing with Dennis Mitchell as her coach. Nobody could be that stupid."

We shall see...
Man, she's not even going to make it to Tokyo!

Is pot a masking agent?

Man, she's not even going to make it to Tokyo!

Is pot a masking agent?
WADA don't list it as one. I don't think it's been investigated as one but that's likely due to it being illegal in most places until recently anyway. I would guess it's on the list as a safety issue.

With her performance, it seems like a very weird hazard if she took it for completely different reasons and there is no relation, on the other hand, how can cannabis make you really that much faster??!
I don't agree with a ban on marijuana, but I see it more as a test of whether you can follow the rules. If you are brazen enough to ingest THC, knowing it's banned but also that it stays in your blood for weeks, you might have a tendency to use actual PEDs.

Reactions: joe_papp
I don't agree with a ban on marijuana, but I see it more as a test of whether you can follow the rules. If you are brazen enough to ingest THC, knowing it's banned but also that it stays in your blood for weeks, you might have a tendency to use actual PEDs.
It's banned in-competition which seems to make sense as you wouldn't wanted someone competing in mass start events while stoned. There's apparently some evidence it's performance enhancing from animal studies and athlete interviews, but that sounds like it's a bit up in the air. With it being decriminalised across the US and in other jurisdictions, it seems like something that should be moved to the watch list and dealt with in a similar way to alcohol (which was removed from the Prohibited List in 2018).

Well, that didn't take long. Does seem odd that they got her on boring old weed. Definitely suggests something else is going on, but maybe they didn't want to really out her as a doper, just someone who smokes dope.

Well, that didn't take long. Does seem odd that they got her on boring old weed. Definitely suggests something else is going on, but maybe they didn't want to really out her as a doper, just someone who smokes dope.
I can't really get me head round that. If you're going to hide a more obvious performance enhancing positive and remove a likely medal winner from the biggest competition of the cycle, why wouldn't you hide the THC positive too?

Reactions: yaco
Also have to wonder if she actually smoked some weed to cope with her mother's death or if she's a habitual user and just thought it would sound more sympathetic if she had...never smoked weed, but was just overcome with grief and turned to it as a coping mechanism.

If she/her PR team used her mother's death to hide habitual weed smoking, well, that is pretty sad.

I have no problem with marijuana, but I'll probably honor my mother's life differently. Just saying.

Perhaps they fear a domino effect with a lot more heads rolling if she's caught in Tokyo?
I don‘t see how this would help. It‘s not likely to do anything other than increase targeted testing for US athletes and I don’t think it’ll serve as a warning because anyone else using it, or anything else, would likely stop now anyway. The ban also doesn’t technically prohibit her from competing, the nullification of the results does. I don’t know is USA athletics makes exceptions, but I’m also certain that it’s the trials that determine the participant no matter what previous results say. It feels like real mental gymnastics to try and fit this into a bigger conspiracy. It seems much more likely the she just smoked weed and tripped the allowed limit.

ASK THE COMMUNITY