• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
mikeoneill said:
farahs dopping alright

no way did he make the transformation to world domination clean

the guy could prob choose between 1500 and marathon to specialize

Yeah he is like the Froome/Wiggins of athletics.

Im not sure the "everyone stopped doping in 2012" excuse will work in this case, but im sure there are plenty of other explanations that british people and Martinvickers can leech onto.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:

Im not sure the "everyone stopped doping in 2012" excuse will work in this case, but im sure there are plenty of other explanations that british people and Martinvickers can leech onto.

You seem upset, Septic. Did I hurt your feelings?

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:

I couldn't help chuckling when, as part of his evidence that Farrah is clean, said "everything he takes is from UK Athletics".

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
For those interested in touring some of the track&field and other running message boards, there are a lot of interesting things being said about Salazar, NIke, and doping. This obviously has direct relevance to Mo Farrah and his increasingly suspect performances. As a cycling connection for you to chew on: Alberto Salazar and Lance Armstrong have been described as "buddies", by former Nike runner/Salazar student Steve Magness.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
silverrocket said:
For those interested in touring some of the track&field and other running message boards, there are a lot of interesting things being said about Salazar, NIke, and doping. This obviously has direct relevance to Mo Farrah and his increasingly suspect performances. As a cycling connection for you to chew on: Alberto Salazar and Lance Armstrong have been described as "buddies", by former Nike runner/Salazar student Steve Magness.

Salazar's comments are absurd.

For decades Nike has given millions to dopers. They have broken every rule in the NCAA and IOC book.

Salazar was the posterboy for Athletics West. Nike set up the team to compete with the East German programs. They were educated on doping by team doctors, shown how to beat tests, and privately tested by team doctors to insure they passed all test. Salazar was a key part of this. His babble about Nike not wanting to take a risk with breaking the rules is crazy talk.......the company was founded on rule breaking

Remember when Salazar said this?

I believe that it is currently difficult to be among the top 5 in the world in any of the distance events without using EPO or Human Growth Hormone

If you can't beat them, join them

Race Radio said:
...Remember when Salazar said this?

I believe that it is currently difficult to be among the top 5 in the world in any of the distance events without using EPO or Human Growth Hormone

If you can't beat them, join them

You have to hand it to Salazar, that is the the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God...except I would consider replacing "difficult" with "impossible"

Ben Johnson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...s-after-his-defining-drug-cheat-disgrace.html

Makes interesting reading. I am struggling to think of any of the cliches he has missed. I make it:

Only did it to level the playing field.
Everyone was doing it.
I would still be the greatest if the same race was run PED free.
Didn't harm anyone.
I was stitched up.
I was stitched up a second time a couple of years later when I did my "clean" "drug-free" comeback.
I was brought up as a Christian.
Hardest bit was telling my mum.
I am evangelical about drug free sport now.

Avoids totally going anywhere near all the denials and "it woz not me guv" stuff he kept up for over 10 years before he "sawer the liiiight, the true liiight of salvation".

Comes across like the rest of them. Not even the slightest beginnings of an understanding of quite what they have done wrong apart from being caught. I want him to do a "drug free" crusade with St David, they could share a platform together, see if they can out hypocrite each other.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...s-after-his-defining-drug-cheat-disgrace.html

Makes interesting reading. I am struggling to think of any of the cliches he has missed. I make it:

Only did it to level the playing field.
Everyone was doing it.
I would still be the greatest if the same race was run PED free.
Didn't harm anyone.
I was stitched up.
I was stitched up a second time a couple of years later when I did my "clean" "drug-free" comeback.
I was brought up as a Christian.
Hardest bit was telling my mum.
I am evangelical about drug free sport now.

Avoids totally going anywhere near all the denials and "it woz not me guv" stuff he kept up for over 10 years before he "sawer the liiiight, the true liiight of salvation".

Comes across like the rest of them. Not even the slightest beginnings of an understanding of quite what they have done wrong apart from being caught. I want him to do a "drug free" crusade with St David, they could share a platform together, see if they can out hypocrite each other.

Read Syed's article in the Times about the same set of interviews. Johnson is Jaimie Fuller's pet project now, apparently. And the Syed column is very, very disturbing in relation to Johnson's capabilities re: autonomy. Ben J comes across as, frankly, mentally challenged, and his answers barely his own with one or two exceptions.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
WildspokeJoe said:
Not sure where this belongs but this is pretty comical.

Even the senior citizens in the doping game

80 year old busted for glowing.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/weightlifting/story/_/id/9617275/80-year-old-weightlifter-busted-doping

As one gets older medications are often required. I used steroids for a while to overcome an eye problem. I could have obtained an exemption but since I had double vision I refrained from competition for both mine and fellow competitor safety.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
That is just ridiculous. How did it ever get to this... in the 60s? When did these female monsters first start to appear (no 'your mom' jokes, please)?

It was ever thus - if one was cruel, Stella Walsh, Helen Stephens, Dora Ratjen, the Press sisters... but the first definte use of Testosterone in sport was by Russians in weightlifting in the 50's, i think. Could be wrong about the country.

Think it was sometime before it was outlawed though...

darwin553 said:
The driver is included in the minimum weight. Why else would they be weighed at the end of the race??
You are right. I was mistaken.

It is not particularized in the TR, which was what had me confused, but that often is the case (that a rule should not be particularized in the TR, not that I should be confused). Changes to F1 rules often are handed down as letters of clarification to the teams or instructions to the stewards and don't formally alter the SR or the TR (such as the M. Shumacher-inspired one blocking manoeuver rule).

I had to dig to find that the rule was changed in 1995, after which the driver is included in the spec weight. It never occurred to me to question why they bothered to weigh drivers after the race. :eek:

But that actually makes the driver's weight more critical since it represents a larger percentage of the total weight. Daniel Ricciardo is several kg lighter than M. Webber, but his bum proved too wide to fit into Webber's cockpit. Which must be making any number of weight loss/fat-burning supplements looks attractive to him.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
You are right. I was mistaken.

It is not particularized in the TR, which was what had me confused, but that often is the case (that a rule should not be particularized in the TR, not that I should be confused). Changes to F1 rules often are handed down as letters of clarification to the teams or instructions to the stewards and don't formally alter the SR or the TR (such as the M. Shumacher-inspired one blocking manoeuver rule).

I had to dig to find that the rule was changed in 1995, after which the driver is included in the spec weight. It never occurred to me to question why they bothered to weigh drivers after the race. :eek:

But that actually makes the driver's weight more critical since it represents a larger percentage of the total weight. Daniel Ricciardo is several kg lighter than M. Webber, but his bum proved too wide to fit into Webber's cockpit. Which must be making any number of weight loss/fat-burning supplements looks attractive to him.

They can find other ways to bring the weight of the chassis down - lower ballast for one.

darwin553 said:
They can find other ways to bring the weight of the chassis down - lower ballast for one.

Which would usually have a negative impact on the balance of the car. The more they can weigh the car down, the better. If the weight is on the driver, then it sits higher, and the balance of the car is not as good. If the ballast is placed lower in the car or on/in the chassis, this can have a positive impact on the handling characteristics relatively.

Ricciardo going to a top flight team - I'd expect that he's going to have to be working his azz off in the gym in the off-season this year if he's going to stand any chance of being competitive. Massive difference in fitness between Webber and Ricciardo - Webber is widely recognised as one of the fittest drivers out there. Unusually, and regardless of his associations with LA throughout the years, I attribute Mark's fitness to hard work rather than assistance. He's a fitness freak and gets off on it.

darwin553 said:
TR 4.2 mandates the cars weigh not less than 292 kg front, 343 kg rear, so there's only 7 kg of discretionary weight can be used for ballast without they also deliberately exceed spec weight. There is very little ballast can be lost without also losing the ability to trim the car.