• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My favorite story regarding doping in other sports:

If I even mention pro cycling near a guy I know, he will launch into a rant about how he couldn't possibly care about that sport because the riders all dope. His favorite sport? Baseball.

Even after the huge doping scandals surrounding the Sosa/McGwire/Clemens era of US major league baseball, the sport still has limited drug testing and far more lenient penalties for doping than cycling does. It's obvious that there's still plenty of doping going on there.

Yes, I've attempted to point out the hypocrisy, but to no avail.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
That does annoy me, a little. At least when I discuss cycling with football (soccer) fans, they have a semi-reasonable excuse to remain ignorant about the nature of that sport, because there haven't been very many huge scandals in football at all, especially in the last decade or so after the nandrolone busts died down. Baseball is an entirely different kettle of fish, though.

avanti said:
As one gets older medications are often required. I used steroids for a while to overcome an eye problem. I could have obtained an exemption but since I had double vision I refrained from competition for both mine and fellow competitor safety.

We all use steroids (cholesterol - made "in house" ;) is an example) and we have probably used some sort of topical steroid at some point in our lives.
I would venture to say that you weren't on an ANABOLIC steroid or a form of testosterone designed to boost your T/E ratio like the gent from Florida.

Now if you were...and you got caught....the eye drops would be your "go to" excuse. :)

Not sure if the Spanish press are reporting it, but there is more bad
news for a country whose sporting reputation is already in tatters.
Three, as yet unnamed, athletes returned adverse analytical findings
from tests conducted at the Spanish Athletics Championships in July.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Not sure if the Spanish press are reporting it, but there is more bad
news for a country whose sporting reputation is already in tatters.
Three, as yet unnamed, athletes returned adverse analytical findings
from tests conducted at the Spanish Athletics Championships in July.

they've been named

sergio sanchez is one of them

him and his doped up compatriots won a few medals at european xc

sanchez has been called out as a probable doper for a few years

Is anyone surprised the Spaniards didn't announce their
latest list of drug cheats (distance runners Alberto Lozano,
Sergio Sanchez, and Angel Mullera) until after the 2020
Olympic host city was announced? Especially coming so
soon after four others, including marathoner Ricardo Serrano
and Alberto Lazono's brother, Alvero Lazano) were busted
for importing and trafficking in Chinese steriods, EPO, and HGH.

Spain has a serious problem that runs very deep throughout
their whole sporting community, amateur and professional.
These latest seven busts are just the tip of the iceberg.

patrick767 said:
My favorite story regarding doping in other sports:

If I even mention pro cycling near a guy I know, he will launch into a rant about how he couldn't possibly care about that sport because the riders all dope. His favorite sport? Baseball.

Even after the huge doping scandals surrounding the Sosa/McGwire/Clemens era of US major league baseball, the sport still has limited drug testing and far more lenient penalties for doping than cycling does. It's obvious that there's still plenty of doping going on there.

Yes, I've attempted to point out the hypocrisy, but to no avail.
I have a number of mates who are baseball fans, and they by and large could not care less about the doping. To an extent, I see why.

Doping cyclists might defeat all the non-dopers, but, in the moment (unless they pull a FLandis and go off the front for like 300 km), it doesn't necessarily look so different from any other race result. It's not until we learn someone just rode a 37:35 up Alpe d'Huez that we realise what a phenomenal thing it was. In the moment, we likely aren't aware.

But when Barry Bonds makes contact with a high, hanging fast ball, and you hear that distinctive crack of the bat, and the ball lands in the cheap seats out in left center, you know without being prompted that you just have seen something spectacular. Times 72 in a single season = molto spectacular.

So the dope doesn't really improve the spectacle in cycling, but it did in baseball, to the tune of relegating poor old Babe Ruth to the dustbin.

They don't seem to make the association that there were pro-quality "clean" players who never got the chance to play in the bigs because too many dopers had got there ahead of them. And they probably got paid more than their clean competitors. So the dopers were as good as picking the pockets of the clean players.

But at least it increased the tempo of the game. :rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
I have a number of mates who are baseball fans, and they by and large could not care less about the doping. To an extent, I see why.

Doping cyclists might defeat all the non-dopers, but, in the moment (unless they pull a FLandis and go off the front for like 300 km), it doesn't necessarily look so different from any other race result. It's not until we learn someone just rode a 37:35 up Alpe d'Huez that we realise what a phenomenal thing it was. In the moment, we likely aren't aware.

But when Barry Bonds makes contact with a high, hanging fast ball, and you hear that distinctive crack of the bat, and the ball lands in the cheap seats out in left center, you know without being prompted that you just have seen something spectacular. Times 72 in a single season = molto spectacular.

So the dope doesn't really improve the spectacle in cycling, but it did in baseball, to the tune of relegating poor old Babe Ruth to the dustbin.

They don't seem to make the association that there were pro-quality "clean" players who never got the chance to play in the bigs because too many dopers had got there ahead of them. And they probably got paid more than their clean competitors. So the dopers were as good as picking the pockets of the clean players.

But at least it increased the tempo of the game. :rolleyes:

That's true from what I've observed about baseball fans. However, in pro wrestling there is a demand for drug free wrestlers hence CM Punk becoming their second longest reigning champion in history.

No way would he have been muscular enough to be champion in the 80's:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=3gMEBYS9BDw

Plus it's not even a sport!

Being a professional baseball player though is inherently more healthy than being a pro wrestler.

Rugby

OK its no surprise that a pro sport with huge emphasis on size dopes.

But what is interesting in these articles is how far down the "food chain" it has gone.

Craig Chalmers was one of the finest players of his generation: he's now a successful coach (even if his face doesn't fit at the SRU). That his son would dope shows the pressure on these kids and how they respond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24153964

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24082242

(Interestingly, I could not find this on the sport or rugby homepage, but found it via the scottish news of the BBC, but that may just be me )

Oh and by the way, the Scottish International team must be the smallest in the top 10, so no way can I believe this is just a Scottish problem

coinneach said:

But what is interesting in these articles is how far down the "food chain" it has gone.

Craig Chalmers was one of the finest players of his generation: he's now a successful coach (even if his face doesn't fit at the SRU). That his son would dope shows the pressure on these kids and how they respond.

(Interestingly, I could not find this on the sport or rugby homepage, but found it via the scottish news of the BBC, but that may just be me )

Oh and by the way, the Scottish International team must be the smallest in the top 10, so no way can I believe this is just a Scottish problem

It's not. Doping has long been an issue in rugby league (just look at the change Leon Pryce went through in his early career at Bradford) and when Union turned professional it crossed over, to an even greater extent it seems.

I used to play with someone who currently plays professionally and, I thought, was unlucky to miss out on a Lions place. I look at him, compared to some of the guys he plays with (I'm fairly sure he's clean) and I can't believe he keeps his mouth shut.

I also know someone who coached a lot of current and ex-Super League players and, while I've never heard doping mentioned, what some of them get up to puts me in doubt it goes on.

As a general point, does the media seem to be wising up to the farce that is professional sports? There seem to be an awful lot of stories about doping these days. This is both good and bad, I can see the ITF burning papers, deleting data and closing doors as I type this.

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
As a general point, does the media seem to be wising up to the farce that is professional sports? There seem to be an awful lot of stories about doping these days. This is both good and bad, I can see the ITF burning papers, deleting data and closing doors as I type this.

The media are almost conflicted here. If they call it out, they implicitly say they've been idiots writing nonsense for the last several years, kil the sport which they earn a living writing about, no more jock sniffing, etc

coinneach said:

They are now, under Frank Haddon they were muscle bound freaks, the most obvious physical change in appearance I can remember, it looked like someone had taken an air pump to them.

Jack (6 ch) said:
The media are almost conflicted here. If they call it out, they implicitly say they've been idiots writing nonsense for the last several years, kil the sport which they earn a living writing about, no more jock sniffing, etc

Not helped by the media hiring more and more ex pros as journalists/commentators and the slow death of proper journalists. The ex-players aren't going to blow the whistle if they were at it in their career are they?

gooner said:
This is the weirdest and strangest thing I have ever heard on how someone tried to beat a dope test. Unbelievable.

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...-_9347394.html

StyrbjornSterki said:
You need to get out more. The Whizzinator has been on the market for about eight years. Comes in five colors (but only one length).

Ironically Devis Licciard's parents always thought their boy was a whiz-kid.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Boat Doping?

How about sailing??? LOL anyone watching the America's Cup Finals? TNZ up 8-1, now it's 8-8. In sailing. SAILING? I'm sure everyone's heard the term "boat raced". TNZ cruising, now tied. This comeback by Oracle is unfathomable. So...are they DOPING THEIR BOAT??? :eek::D