• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
You could tell Steph Curry would have the greatest single season of all time, 12 years ago? Wow, ain't that something. Its funny how you always knew all these guys would become stars but never said anything.

Even at the beginning of the season, after being named MVP last year, Curry wasn't considered one of the favourites for the award this season. But Robbie Cannuck knew all along it was coming :rolleyes:

BTW are you seriously going to try to tell me there is no endurance aspect to Basketball? So the star players take 10-15 minute rests every game just for fun?

You are so out of touch with understanding basketball. Did you watch those You tube vignettes of Curry at age 13/14/15 as I suggested. As of today, everyone who actually understands basketball concedes Curry is the best shooter and the best player in NBA basketball. The fact you did not consider him one of the favourites for an award this year is ample proof you don't have a clue what you are talking about :eek:

I played University basketball for 4 years and in the Pan Am Games. Basketball is a sport that requires anaerobic speed and quickness and a whole host of other skills I referred to in my post, not endurance. Endurance does not hurt, but for basketball you don't need PEDs. Usually when a player is pulled it is because his shot is off, he is not playing defence or he has done some bonehead thing that pisses the coach off.

You really are out of your depth with lack of knowledge of sport generally along with that Australian who gets too much sun, Wiggo. Both of you remind me of the golfer Tommy Armour's observation about commentators “The most abysmal advice ever given by the ignorant to the stupid.”

You guys really should give it up. You are eons past your best before date!

Half of the fighters in the co-main events in what in my experience were the most abysmal performances in (recent) professional MMA history have been busted for PEDs. Kimbo Slice, who fought Dada 5000 in the co-main event at Bellator 149 (19 February, Houston, Tx), and Ken Shamrock, who lost to Royce Gracie in the main event, both tested positive for something not yet announced. With Slice, weed is always a possibility but Shamrock was busted in 2009 for a 'roid cocktail. Slice's win got knocked down to a NC, which is precious little consolation to Dada 5000, who went into cardiac arrest after the fight due to what was claimed to be an electrolyte imbalance (last reported to be recovering normally).

UFC lightweight Felipe Olivieri tested positive for a yet-unannounced substance after his (UFC Fight Night on Fox: Johnson vs. Bader) submission loss to Tony Martin on 30 January. This makes (I think) three positives since USADA assumed control of the UFC's anti-PEDs efforts in July 2015, not including the positive erroneously attributed to Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović, who subsequently confessed to using HGH (prior to receiving an "all clear" letter from USADA).

RobbieCanuck said:
The Hitch said:
You could tell Steph Curry would have the greatest single season of all time, 12 years ago? Wow, ain't that something. Its funny how you always knew all these guys would become stars but never said anything.

Even at the beginning of the season, after being named MVP last year, Curry wasn't considered one of the favourites for the award this season. But Robbie Cannuck knew all along it was coming :rolleyes:

BTW are you seriously going to try to tell me there is no endurance aspect to Basketball? So the star players take 10-15 minute rests every game just for fun?

I played University basketball for 4 years and in the Pan Am Games. Basketball is a sport that requires anaerobic speed and quickness and a whole host of other skills I referred to in my post, not endurance. Endurance does not hurt, but for basketball you don't need PEDs. Usually when a player is pulled it is because his shot is off, he is not playing defence or he has done some bonehead thing that pisses the coach off.
If that is the case, why has steph curry been rested in every game this season?

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

The Hitch said:
RobbieCanuck said:
The Hitch said:

If that is the case, why has steph curry been rested in every game this season?

That is just to make the games competitive, If Curry played all 48, I should note all the while not getting tired, the games would be boring. He sits to give the other team a chance for sport. It's dictated by sponsors. :rolleyes:

BTW, did some of our posts get deleted from this thread?

^^Basketball: Anything that would build lean muscle and increase endurance/decrease recovery would give you an advantage, especially toward the end of a game or season. Strength is very important especially at the NBA level. How often do you hear: "Once xx fills out he'll be great. Right now guys are pushing him around." Sure enough a year or two later, said player has indeed "filled out."

Re:

Bolder said:
^^Basketball: Anything that would build lean muscle and increase endurance/decrease recovery would give you an advantage, especially toward the end of a game or season. Strength is very important especially at the NBA level. How often do you hear: "Once xx fills out he'll be great. Right now guys are pushing him around." Sure enough a year or two later, said player has indeed "filled out."

xx gained 25 pounds of muscle in the 4 month off-season.
The sports section of a newspaper is always good for a larf.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
Bolder said:

xx gained 25 pounds of muscle in the 4 month off-season.
The sports section of a newspaper is always good for a larf.

Matt Semenko ftw*

Dave Semenko's more talented brother and wingman to Gretsky before Gretsky;s daughter in LA (Kings) takes off with the coke head golfer, yeah, say that three times, cokehead golfer, cokehead golfer, cokehead golfer Dustin Johnson. say it staccato say it fast. be a beat poet alliterationz

RobbieCanuck said:

You really are out of your depth with lack of knowledge of sport generally along with that Australian who gets too much sun, Wiggo. Both of you remind me of the golfer Tommy Armour's observation about commentators “The most abysmal advice ever given by the ignorant to the stupid.”

[I realize I'm replying to an old-ish post, but whatever]

So what you're saying is... PEDs would help?

Anything that has a physical component would benefit from one PED or another. Put another way, imagine every minute of practice you spent in the weight room, every plyobox you jumped, every agility drill on the court, suicide drills, cut back drills... imagine every ounce of effort you put into those workouts.

Now image the benefits being amplified with PEDs. Would you be a better player? Of course.

Further, the fact that melodnium is being found in such a diverse set of sports speaks to the fact that athletes from any sport can believe a PED will improve performance. The actual performance gains in say, figure skating, is debatable, but you cannot deny the fact that athletes think a drug will improve their performance. That reality alone should always stand higher than the "it's a skill sport" argument: that the very participants believe it it is a PED.

RobbieCanuck said:
The Hitch said:

You are so out of touch with understanding basketball. Did you watch those You tube vignettes of Curry at age 13/14/15 as I suggested. As of today, everyone who actually understands basketball concedes Curry is the best shooter and the best player in NBA basketball. The fact you did not consider him one of the favourites for an award this year is ample proof you don't have a clue what you are talking about :eek:

So you're saying that PEDs that help with explosiveness, strength in the key, jump height and recovery wouldn't be used? Even with the money available in the NBA?

:rolleyes:

Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
We can argue whether it is a "sport" but professional wrestling without question is an athletic endeavour. That in mind, the WWE wrestler known as "The Undertaker," aged near as makes no difference 51, demonstrates a 500 pounds (227 kg) rack pull and a 40-inches (101.6 cm) box jump:

www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/3/16/11244492/wwe-video-the-undertaker-is-50-years-old-and-still-training-like-a-monster

I have no idea what he is on, only that I want some.

On that note, check out Mark Felix. He's 1 year and 1 month younger than Taker and finished 8th in the most recent world's strongest man. That after having failed to qualify for the final for the last 7 years and the weights continuing to increase in the sport pretty much every year.

42x16ss said:
RobbieCanuck said:
The Hitch said:

So you're saying that PEDs that help with explosiveness, strength in the key, jump height and recovery wouldn't be used? Even with the money available in the NBA?

:rolleyes:
Also ignores the impact that PED's have in maintaining technique for longer. A physically fresher player will make the shot more often than one who is on the limit. They will be mentally fresher and also more in control of their muscles than a guy who is out on his feet. It's the same argument for people who say PED's aren't so important in tennis or soccer, because they are mainly technique based sports - ignoring the fact that PED's allow a player to maintain top technique for much longer.

Re:

wansteadimp said:
Should the question now be is there any one in Russia who wasn't on Meldonium? Maybe it was being added to the water supply!

The whole of the U18 ice hickey team has tested positive and been replaced for the U18 World Champs

http://deadspin.com/reports-entire-russian-u18-hockey-team-replaced-before-1769366600

Meldonium has been around for a number of decades. Originated in Latvia, when it was still a part of the USSR and apparently a lot of people, not just athletes, still use this in Russia and other former Soviet countries. I found this interview with Russia's sports minister quite interesting. He talks about a number of issues, including Sharapova, meldonium, RUSADA, WADA, and Russia's race against the clock as far as the Rio Olympics are concerned. It was very interesting. To me, at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV-DyVKR1h8&nohtml5=False

Irondan said:
BullsFan22 said:
How's this possible when Norwegians don't dope? :rolleyes:

I can already sense the Norwegian officials thinking that, well, she isn't Norwegians, she's Ugandan...I wrote this weeks ago regarding the Swedish track runner and her positive for meldonium. The Andy Murray effect. When they win, they are yours, when they lose or get in trouble, they are from where they came from.

With the news that anti doping officials and organizations will look at meldonium and see how long it actually stays in the system and whether or not it's even performance enhancing (strange, I know) and if they will drop the cases of those that failed the tests post January 1, I am not sure what will happen. She, along with those that took meldonium, might be cleared.

It is very strange to see this popping onto the radar just weeks ago, and how it came on WADA's banned list on January 1st, after it's been used for decades in various parts of the world. Whatever happened with XENON?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
It is very strange to see this popping onto the radar just weeks ago, and how it came on WADA's banned list on January 1st, after it's been used for decades in various parts of the world. Whatever happened with XENON?

died with dennis hopper and inhaling amyl nitrite in blue velvet

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/sound/45089 PBR #ftw and monica lewinsky soiled gown linda tripp and korean dry cleaners

TRENDING THREADS