• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Nick C. said:
Maxiton said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
As per Kimbo Slice:
"I don't think the commissioners should really blackball fighters for having to use a little extra vitamins to perform. 'Cause we're entertainers. We perform on a high level. We put our body through some extreme workout to entertain the public and the media. The commissioners should sit down and come to an agreement on what levels should be okay. The levels should be okay for professional entertainers on that level. You know, not so much like some guy who's doing this for a living. We're not those guys. We're just performing for a certain time. So yes, our levels should be just a little bit above normal. That should be okay in the professional world."
Punchdrunk, maybe?

Nah, just honest.
Which raises the question, if these "vitamins" are necessary 1) why is the "sport" legal?

Good question, I dunno. Money?

:D

Still beyond me why people would watch it, though.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
It likely is the increased sensitivity of the testing, but I couldn't help but laugh at this part:

Besides the improved testing, there is another possible culprit for the recent spike in Turinabol positives, though sources told Outside the Lines it's a bit more speculative.

"The supplement Alpha-4D, sold by Shredded Labs, includes an oral form of Turinabol. None of the players who tested positive has said he used the product, but it was placed on the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's "high risk" supplement list in March 2014 and is the one over-the-counter product that has been identified by the agency as containing the drug. The supplement is advertised as a "pro-anabolic stack," which should be a flashing neon warning sign to any athlete who is subject to testing."

Baseball Dopers’ New Drug Is an Old One Used by East Germany - Turinabol
"Antidoping experts believe that unscrupulous chemists in the United States may be creating the drug or, more likely, that it is being imported. Dr. Don Catlin, an antidoping pioneer in the United States who ran the drug testing lab at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, said Turinabol was easily obtainable online. He added that it was contained as a labeled ingredient in at least one supplement that can be bought off-the-shelf. It is also possible the steroid is contained as an unlabeled product in a supplement, he said."

"The fact that the drug is now so easily detected is the reason Victor Conte Jr., who ran the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative in Northern California that figured in a widespread doping scandal a decade ago, wrote on his Twitter account that the knowing use of Turinabol was “dumber than dumb.”"
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/s...-drug-is-an-old-one-used-by-east-germany.html

BullsFan22 said:
This kid is the son of a former Major League baseball player (Raul Mondesi Sr.), one who played in the steriod era hitting home runs with the rest of the big boppers, and has a brother who's a pro with the Brewers system. (It's funny, they're both named Raul) :D

Although he accepts his suspension this quote is complete BS -
Mondesi said he took the medication without reading the label or consulting his trainer.
He knew exactly what he was doing, he was trained from the time he could walk by his pops on how to become a MLB player himself.

No, I don't buy it but hey, he's serving his suspension without the usual defiance...

Irondan said:
BullsFan22 said:
This kid is the son of a former Major League baseball player (Raul Mondesi Sr.), one who played in the steriod era hitting home runs with the rest of the big boppers, and has a brother who's a pro with the Brewers system. (It's funny, they're both named Raul) :D

Although he accepts his suspension this quote is complete BS -
Mondesi said he took the medication without reading the label or consulting his trainer.
He knew exactly what he was doing, he was trained from the time he could walk by his pops on how to become a MLB player himself.

No, I don't buy it but hey, he's serving his suspension without the usual defiance...

Seems to me guys like Mondesi and Chris Colabello are visiting some fly-by-night doping doctors who haven't been keeping up to date on the current CBA.
Drug testing is still a joke in MLB, but it has upgraded to a point where it actually looks like they're trying to catch those looking for a little pick-me-up.
I'd like to agree with Mondesi when he says he didn't read the label. He probably just took the "doctor's" word for it.

gazr99 said:

I know it is. I just brought it back for some 'comic relief' or shock value. Obviously everyone would have known about this already had it actually happened. I am hoping his name ACTUALLY appears FOR REAL in the Beijing doping reports, but that will probably never happen.

TRENDING THREADS