• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alphabet said:
On a lighter note, here's an amusing picture I found of Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi.

40966133002249375681263.jpg

:D

I am suprised Shola is managing to stay on his bike.

I don't think you could accuse Shola of being on PEDs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In Australian Rules Football, there is doping story that has just evolved in the past 24 hours. The players have been all alleged to have taken a peptide, which very much seems to fit the description of HGH.

Interestingly, he also said he'd rather be naive than believe doping exists in football.

One of these days, a journalist should confront one of these buffoons with all the hard evidence that exists about teamwide doping programs in football. Then ask them again.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
zebedee said:
It's unlikely in my opinion that Fuentes had any connection with AC Milan. Doping would most likely have been organised on a team-wide basis and controlled through MilanLab which is the club's own high tech sports science facility.

http://www.acmilan.com/en/club/milan_lab

One cannot say for sure, but it seems unlikely in my view that such a prominent Italian club would use a Madrid-based, Spanish doctor as an outreach doping facility.

That would be the famous Milan Lab that keeps ageing players at the peak of physical fitness way past their mid-30's? ;)

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
slowspoke said:
That would be the famous Milan Lab that keeps ageing players at the peak of physical fitness way past their mid-30's? ;)
indeed. and Ancelotti apparently brought some of that expertise along with him to Paris. Otherwise I don't see the point in contracting a slow 38 year old Englishman.

Anyway, zebedee's point is not that AC Milan aren't doping. of course they dope.
the point is that it's hard to understand why they'd reach out to a madrid-based doc for that. I'm inclined to agree. But "hard to understand" of course doesn't mean "impossible". Thus far, clearly AC Milan still seems the most plausible candidate for being "milan".

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
indeed. and Ancelotti apparently brought some of that expertise along with him to Paris. Otherwise I don't see the point in contracting a slow 38 year old Englishman.

Anyway, zebedee's point is not that AC Milan aren't doping. of course they dope.
the point is that it's hard to understand why they'd reach out to a madrid-based doc for that. I'm inclined to agree. But "hard to understand" of course doesn't mean "impossible". Thus far, clearly AC Milan still seems the most plausible candidate for being "milan".

Really? No other reason? Massive global profile, one of the most famous sportsmen on the planet, huge commercial potential?

Arsenal signed a Japanese player several years ago. He rarely played. His nickname in the dressing room was 't shirt' because of the shirt sales he generated in his native country. Not every footballer is signed solely for their ability on the pitch.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Really? No other reason? Massive global profile, one of the most famous sportsmen on the planet, huge commercial potential?

Arsenal signed a Japanese player several years ago. He rarely played. His nickname in the dressing room was 't shirt' because of the shirt sales he generated in his native country. Not every footballer is signed solely for their ability on the pitch.

true. anyway. interesting to see Beckham extend his playing years first at AC Milan, now at Ancelotti's club in Paris. May be a coincidence of course.
But AC Milan were clearly at the forefront of medically extending player's carreers. Jaap Stam used to give that as a reason for his late transfer to AC Milan. And look at guys like Maldini, Seedorf.
Nowadays, it seems the wonderforumla has become more widespread, though the most remarkable cases of carreer extensions are still found in Italy, as far as I can tell.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
true. anyway. interesting to see Beckham extend his playing years first at AC Milan, now at Ancelotti's club in Paris. May be a coincidence of course.
But AC Milan were clearly at the forefront of medically extending player's carreers. Jaap Stam used to give that as a reason for his late transfer to AC Milan. And look at guys like Maldini, Seedorf.
Nowadays, it seems the wonderforumla has become more widespread, though the most remarkable cases of carreer extensions are still found in Italy, as far as I can tell.

The Italians are certainly masters of keeping aging players going, I'll agree, although their style of football is of a fairly low tempo, and Beckham's strength has never been his pace, more his passing.

Given the paucity of testing in football, I wouldn't be surprised if he was juiced though.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Very good point. What about Michael Owen to Madrid way back? Boy Wonder was a little popular in Asia...

On the other hand, it is not like PSG are short for Quatarian money :D

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Very good point. What about Michael Owen to Madrid way back? Boy Wonder was a little popular in Asia...

On the other hand, it is not like PSG are short for Quatarian money :D

For me PSG are a weird little project. The French league is probably 4th or 5th in the European pecking order in terms of crowds, revenue and success on the pitch. Seems a curious decision to buy a French club and chuck a vast amount of cash at it, but unfortunately a sign of the times these days. Shame British clubs aren't better protected from foreign ownership, as we see a succession of mega-rich owners buy clubs, run them with complete financial irresponsibility, pay impossible wages and transfer fees and create a literal false economy which endangers the sport beyond them.

Used to be so passionate about football, now I just think it's crap. I'd love it if it was exposed as been riddled with drugs, coupled with the various betting rings scandals it might bring the whole thing crashing down

JimmyFingers said:

You are right about this, though some.good performances could sell shirts even more;)

That said i don't really see any motivation for him.to.do.it. People dope for money or.to.win. Beckham doesn't need the money, and though he may want to succeed , a win or 2 as the substitute as part of a celebrity stint. Not worth it.

sniper said:

In my view, all these big clubs used doping programmes. The commercial pressures to sustain success are simply too great and doping provides that edge. Plus it's a sport full of unscrupulous people, dirty practices and black money that make cyclists look saintly by comparison. Then, of course, you have the old school types like del Bosque providing the veneer of respectability, who look the other way while it all goes on.

I don't believe that the bods at Milan Lab have an awful lot to learn from Dr Michele Ferrari or Dr Eufemiano Fuentes either. Rather the other way round.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
For me PSG are a weird little project. The French league is probably 4th or 5th in the European pecking order in terms of crowds, revenue and success on the pitch. Seems a curious decision to buy a French club and chuck a vast amount of cash at it, but unfortunately a sign of the times these days. Shame British clubs aren't better protected from foreign ownership, as we see a succession of mega-rich owners buy clubs, run them with complete financial irresponsibility, pay impossible wages and transfer fees and create a literal false economy which endangers the sport beyond them.

Used to be so passionate about football, now I just think it's crap. I'd love it if it was exposed as been riddled with drugs, coupled with the various betting rings scandals it might bring the whole thing crashing down

Allegedly linked to French support for the Qatari world cup bid.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Duartista said:
Allegedly linked to French support for the Qatari world cup bid.

That wouldn't surprise me. Surely one of the most inappropriate venues of a world cup, undoubtedly born of corruption we know if rife at FIFA. The idea of it sounds crazy: all the stadiums will be around the same city, the temperature will be so high in the summer those stadiums will need to be air-conditioned. It's a joke, just crazy

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
JimmyFingers said:
That wouldn't surprise me. Surely one of the most inappropriate venues of a world cup, undoubtedly born of corruption we know if rife at FIFA. The idea of it sounds crazy: all the stadiums will be around the same city, the temperature will be so high in the summer those stadiums will need to be air-conditioned. It's a joke, just crazy

Not only that; the stadium where the final is supposed to be held doesn't even exist. No biggie, right?

The city where that stadium is supposed to be built doesn't exist yet.

Don't get the complaints about the heat. If they have the games at 8 and 11 (6 and 9 for the European market which is perfectly normal) then the heat will have calmed.to.about 35 and under. Cyclists ride through temperatures above that sometimes at the tour and especially vuelta. I think superstars on 20 mil a year can manage it for 90 minutes.

The Hitch said:
Don't get the complaints about the heat. If they have the games at 8 and 11 (6 and 9 for the European market which is perfectly normal) then the heat will have calmed.to.about 35 and under. Cyclists ride through temperatures above that sometimes at the tour and especially vuelta. I think superstars on 20 mil a year can manage it for 90 minutes.

Cyclists are able to withstand that because they're doped.

For footballers it's really hard though.