• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sniper said:
Frank de Boer, Pep, Edgar Davids, Fernando Couto.
Four (ex-)Barca players, all tested positive in roughly the same time frame, all(?) for nandrolon.
I don't have time to check the chronology of events for each of them.
But at least one pattern seems to be that all four played for Barca.
Potential patterns: there might be some Barca-Ajax-AC Milan link if we consider also Jaap Stam.
All five except Frank de Boer played (and I believe got caught) in Italy, which is not an unimportant detail either.
Anyway, no time to dig into this deeper, but seems to me this is worth looking into renewed.

Yup, good memory.

Davids tested positive before joining Barcelona.

De Boer got caught while playing for Barcelona, while Guardiola and Couto got caught in Italy.

All of them tested positive for nandrolone (and all got ridiculously soft sentences...).

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I liked this quote from Mills.

I’d come down to breakfast and there’d be a cup of pills with my name on it. I had six in the morning, six at night. I didn’t ask what was in it. You trust what you are given. It was legal.

Of course it was all legal Danny.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Joey Barton.... Whilst not the most reliable punter kicking about has said he was only urine tested 3 times during his whole career in English football. Never blood tested.

A complete farce if that is true

nevada said:
Didn't xavi admit to being given hgh and the retracted it.
Nah, it was blurted out by an Irish radio journalist when covering the great amazing depths of Barcelona's system, and when queried whether it was legal by the show's host, kind of fumbled around for a bit on how it must be otherwise they'd be in trouble. The journalist later apologised, saying he mis-spoke or mis-remembered or something like that.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Bribery and match fixing is a much bigg problem in football than drugs.

And drugs are a HUGE problem in football. Match fixing is HUGEx3 and FIFA and UEFA do nothing. This means they will do less than that about drugs.

My own personal favourite was the 2-2 played out in Portugal by Denmark and Sweden in the 2004 Euros. There was no money in it - just devilment. On the BBC, Peter Reid the former England midfielder was livid whilst Peter Schmeichel's defence of the farce was sickening.

In last year's Olympic soccer tournament, Honduras (what have they done to anyone?) were destroyed by the ref to guarantee the Brazilians made the final.

Professional sport serves no other purpose in Western civilization other than to act as a metaphor for its impending collapse. Like the banks, it believes itself to be too big to fail.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wengers comments didn't even make the front internet page.

t least it is starting to be talked about, which is positive. Football is the goose that laid the golden egg, and up until now it has been allowed to coast along unchallenged. It's perhaps the trickle down from LA and the ACC report in Oz, people are starting to wake up to the problem, which before in most people's minds was limited to cycling and athletics

Libertine Seguros said:
Nah, it was blurted out by an Irish radio journalist when covering the great amazing depths of Barcelona's system, and when queried whether it was legal by the show's host, kind of fumbled around for a bit on how it must be otherwise they'd be in trouble. The journalist later apologised, saying he mis-spoke or mis-remembered or something like that.
Liber got his fact wrong for once :p :D not an Irish guy....
Graham Hunter Scottish journalist author of Barca - The Making of The Greatest Team In the World.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wenger might as well have made those comments in his sleep for all the press it got.

Well it was one of the lead sports stories on the Guardian website, so front page in a manner of sorts. I think the media are going to be very slow easing themselves into a debate on doping in football. It is the goose that lays the golden egg in terms of circulation etc, and there will be major enertia from the sport itself in tackling it, coming all the way down from Sepp, a person, lest me not forget, who thinks racist language on the pitch is acceptable and should be be handled by a handshake at the end of the game. Disgusting human being

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting post on a Dutch football web page. Apparently Robin van Persie mentioned he has gained 4kg additional muscle power since joining Manchester United. He says this is not because of extra weight lifting, but that he became super-fit by himself.

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=181982

One has to wonder how it is possible to gain 4kg of muscle in half a year, without additional weight lifting. If true this seems more than a little bit dodgy to me. What is Man United doing that Arsenal is not? Or alternatively what has van Persie started doing?

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
pascoa341 said:
Interesting post on a Dutch football web page. Apparently Robin van Persie mentioned he has gained 4kg additional muscle power since joining Manchester United. He says this is not because of extra weight lifting, but that he became super-fit by himself.

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=181982

One has to wonder how it is possible to gain 4kg of muscle in half a year, without additional weight lifting. If true this seems more than a little bit dodgy to me. What is Man United doing that Arsenal is not? Or alternatively what has van Persie started doing?

If I was to defend RVP here, I would say that this is probably the longest I ever remember him not being injured for and, also, he's 29 now....I put on a couple of kilos of muscle when I physically matured between the age of 27-30 from nothing more than a lot of running and a bit of cycling (I'm no adonis but I remember looking in the mirror a couple of years ago and thinking jaysis, that's not a bad set of shoulders I have now :) And I did no weights, just running) . Could explain it.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Is it possible that Arsenal are a clean club? Their players for some time now have been notoriously injury prone (Rosicky, Fabregas and van Persie for instance),and usually crack in the final third of the season (not quite as common, but they threw away a shot at winning the Premier League back in 2007/08 with a late season collapse).

If so, then big (albeit grudging) respect for Wenger and the club for staying fairly competitive in a very dirty world.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Is it possible that Arsenal are a clean club? Their players for some time now have been notoriously injury prone (Rosicky, Fabregas and van Persie for instance),and usually crack in the final third of the season (not quite as common, but they threw away a shot at winning the Premier League back in 2007/08 with a late season collapse).

If so, then big (albeit grudging) respect for Wenger and the club for staying fairly competitive in a very dirty world.

touré tested positive at city after a move from arsenal.
but that doesn't conclusively show anything either way, i assume.

i'm hard pressed though to think arsenal are clean.
i think their results correspond more or less to their budget (but I could be wrong)