• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

blackcat said:
I think I told sniper this, funny in Italy with Juve, both the dutchies get done for doping Davids and Jaap Stam, Edgar Allan Poe Davids... gotta think they are getting positive hits in Serie A in the early 2000s, but they throw the Dutchies to the wolves

Stam never played for Juve, his nandrolone positive was at Lazio.

Other Serie A players testing positive around the same time, were: -

Manuele Blasi - Italy
Marco Borriello - Italy
Fernando Couto - Portugal - also at Lazio
Mohamed Kallon - Sierra Leone
Pep Guardiola - Spain - I'm sure his name rings a bell

This article suggests there were at least 10 cases around this time, mostly in Italy.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11680/2223885/festa-slams-english-approach-to-drugs

Doesn't seem the Dutch were particularly targeted to me.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
frank de boer also smoked from the nandrolon pipe and got popped.
some of these guys got exonerated, others got a six month sitter.
all reduced to footnotes of footnotes.

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Un **** real.
It's not decided yet, but apparently it's a real possibility that Uli Hoeness will return as the president of Bayern Munich.
Spent one or two years in jail for massive, and I mean massive, tax fraud.
http://www.eurosport.de/fussball/bundesliga/2015-2016/uli-hoeness-verkundet-im-juli-die-entscheidung-zu-seiner-zukunft-beim-fc-bayern_sto5066989/story.shtml

People think Germans are so straight in comparison to say, Italians. I've heard people say "There aren't match fixing things to do with German clubs, no drugs etc"

A someone who has worked with Germans (and in Germany) IMO it's not true they're "straighter", it's more a case of Germans are just much better at covering things up.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cake said:
sniper said:
Un **** real.
It's not decided yet, but apparently it's a real possibility that Uli Hoeness will return as the president of Bayern Munich.
http://www.eurosport.de/fussball/bundesliga/2015-2016/uli-hoeness-verkundet-im-juli-die-entscheidung-zu-seiner-zukunft-beim-fc-bayern_sto5066989/story.shtml

People think Germans are so straight in comparison to say, Italians. I've heard people say "There aren't match fixing things to do with German clubs, no drugs etc"

A someone who has worked with Germans (and in Germany) IMO it's not true they're "straighter", it's more a case of Germans are just much better at covering things up.

Agree. It wasn't too long ago we had the Hoyzer incident.

UKAD want to speak with Wenger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/12111329/Britains-top-anti-doping-official-to-quiz-Arsene-Wenger-over-his-claims-that-many-football-teams-use-drugs.html

gooner said:
Cake said:
sniper said:
Un **** real.

Agree. It wasn't too long ago we had the Hoyzer incident.

UKAD want to speak with Wenger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/12111329/Britains-top-anti-doping-official-to-quiz-Arsene-Wenger-over-his-claims-that-many-football-teams-use-drugs.html

Is anything coming out of the Fuentes/Operacion Puerto case? I mean, it's been some time. I would really love to see the extent of doping in football, particularly the rise of Spanish dominance post World Cup 2006. Ironically enough, it was literally at the same time as Puerto came to being.

Excessively aggressive reaction from FA in response to relatively innocuous comments, IMO. Sport's PR playing field has changed. Pseudo-righteous indignation from international federations doesn't cut it anymore, when doping and corruption are mentioned.

It's a slow grind, but I think the public are becoming less gullible.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
To expose doping in sports like football, journalists should compare evolution of physical performance of players and of cyclists, through years.
How much was running a football player in the 80's and then in the 90's?

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

poupou said:
To expose doping in sports like football, journalists should compare evolution of physical performance of players and of cyclists, through years.
Not just distance covered but the amount of all-out accelerations. Jan Mølby would have been on Aicar had he played today...

Re:

poupou said:
To start you'd need real journalists to actually cover football.

At the moment its just overgrown fankids who think that reporting on what mourinho had for breakfast is an issue of equal importance to most world problems.

During the mourinho latest dismissal sky sports news had a helicopter taking birds eye pictures from a very high distance and then had some experts come on to debate whether mourinho was the pixel getting into the blue car or whether he was one ot the two pixels getting into the red car. Then they had breaking news that further new evidence was coming in, pictures taken from another location that corroborated that miurinho had indeed been the pixel that got into the blue car.

They celebrated this tremendous use of reporting resources from an organization that claims to be one or the worlds top news sources.

It's just a matter of time before they start sending their own drones into space in order to get better quality pictures of what sports celebrities do with their lives.

It was like finally solving the JFK assassination. Only way more significant.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Re:

beatthatrat said:
I don't think that approach could work.
It's too easy to answer it with the old "20 pints and 20 pies a night" line about footballers from the 80s.
It needs someone on the inside to break the omerta.
Armstrong was saying that they were not the cyclists of the 80's. Sure with blood doping that was a new game. Is it the same difference with the 80's players?
That would be my reply

poupou said:
beatthatrat said:
I don't think that approach could work.
It's too easy to answer it with the old "20 pints and 20 pies a night" line about footballers from the 80s.
It needs someone on the inside to break the omerta.
Armstrong was saying that they were not the cyclists of the 80's. Sure with blood doping that was a new game. Is it the same difference with the 80's players?
That would be my reply

And you'd be right. But ... nobody cared about the Armstrong evidence until he was "exposed" in 2011. The same as the Festina "scandal" showed 1990s cyclists were taking EPO. Wow, what a surprise! Everyone knew but nobody cared.
Football is the same. Many dots but the public isn't joining them. The game needs a cast iron, 100% proof doping scandal. Then people can take their heads out of the sand.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
As was seen on Twitter, all these football journalists couldn't wait to have an opinion on the IAAF scandal. Yet couldn't be bothered to ask questions of their own sport.

Re:

gooner said:
As was seen on Twitter, all these football journalists couldn't wait to have an opinion on the IAAF scandal. Yet couldn't be bothered to ask questions of their own sport.

Yep, and it doesn't just affect doping matters.
Plucky little Qatar manages to win the rights to the world cup ...
Notoriously dodgy President of Fifa mulling over changing the calendar of global football to make the dreams of some rich Qataris a reality.
No outrage from member countries. Journos tut tut and snigger at the senile old *** but for the most part focus on positives.
Whoever said it above was right - they're fanboys with typewriters.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Is anything coming out of the Fuentes/Operacion Puerto case? I mean, it's been some time. I would really love to see the extent of doping in football, particularly the rise of Spanish dominance post World Cup 2006. Ironically enough, it was literally at the same time as Puerto came to being.

Read it in the Spanish papers today but nothing comes up in English on google.

http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2016/02/01/56ae7d44ca4741f9168b4646.html

El CSD, la Federación de Ciclismo, la Agencia Mundial Antidopaje y la Unión Ciclista Internacional esperan que esta misma semana la Audiencia Provincial de Madrid dictamine sobre el recurso presentado por la operación Puerto. Estaba previsto que el veredicto se conociera en diciembre, pero los tres magistrados no estaban de acuerdo con la resolución del ponente. Lo de menos es que se modifiquen las penas al médico Eufemiano Fuentes y al preparador Ignacio Labarta, lo trascendental es la posibilidad de utilizar las bolsas de sangre decomisadas para conocer a los clientes del controvertido doctor.
//
The CAS, Spanish Cycling Federation ,WADA and the UCI hope that this week the High Court will pass judgement on the Operation Puerto appeal. The verdict was supposed to be known in December, but the 3 magistrates weren't in agreement with the judge's decision. The verdict could go from changing the sentenes of Doctor Fuentes and assistant Ignacio Labarta, right up to using the decommisioned blood bags to uncover the clients of the controversial doctor.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Doubts have arisen over the future of Algerian football following allegations of widespread drug-taking by high profile players in the country’s domestic league.

Algerian international Youcef Belaili and three other top-division players have been suspended from the game having tested positive for illegal substances.

Numerous Algerian sports commentators are now blaming the Government and Algerian Football Federation (FAF) for a lack of consistent regulation.

London-based publication Al-Arabi al-Jadid claims the four recent cases are not isolated and highlights 10 other instances where players tested positive for drug-use since 2013.

An employee of a nightclub in Algiers told the newspaper that footballers frequented the club to "let off steam and get amphetamines and other drugs, which they believe will enhance their performance on the pitch".

Medical experts told Algeria’s El-Khabar newspaper that the football industry is in "chaos" as no doctors are assigned to clubs on a regular basis, while corruption in the game often leads to various problems being swept under the carpet.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1034415/future-of-algerian-football-in-doubt-following-widespread-drug-taking-allegations

gooner said:
Doubts have arisen over the future of Algerian football following allegations of widespread drug-taking by high profile players in the country’s domestic league.

Algerian international Youcef Belaili and three other top-division players have been suspended from the game having tested positive for illegal substances.

Numerous Algerian sports commentators are now blaming the Government and Algerian Football Federation (FAF) for a lack of consistent regulation.

London-based publication Al-Arabi al-Jadid claims the four recent cases are not isolated and highlights 10 other instances where players tested positive for drug-use since 2013.

An employee of a nightclub in Algiers told the newspaper that footballers frequented the club to "let off steam and get amphetamines and other drugs, which they believe will enhance their performance on the pitch".

Medical experts told Algeria’s El-Khabar newspaper that the football industry is in "chaos" as no doctors are assigned to clubs on a regular basis, while corruption in the game often leads to various problems being swept under the carpet.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1034415/future-of-algerian-football-in-doubt-following-widespread-drug-taking-allegations

Another article on the case:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35500697

TRENDING THREADS