• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almeisan said:
The Marchisio foul was a deliberate attempt to hurt an opponent.
Often players try to step on the foot or ankle to intimidate. Marchisio hit the shin below the knee. He misplaced his attempt to foul. To his credit, he did pull back his leg. If he doesn't, the guy breaks his shin.

Obvious red card if you follow the rules, which most refs dont.

LS has been biting since he is a youth player or even as a child before he started playing soccer. Nothing to do with steroids, lol.

Balotelli couldn't do anything with Pirlo's passes and Pirlo or the other midfielders don't have the pace or power needed in modern football. The defending players aren't of Nesta, Maldini or Cannavaro in their peak. Not even close.
No big surprise they went out so soon out. Don't need help of FIFA refs here.

Curious how the refs always follow the rules when it comes to Italy … The Italians become the whipping boys in soccer and feed off the very prejudices or “narratives” which enabled Lance to survive for so long. The “he stuck to them pesky Euros …” narrative kept Lance afloat for ten years with everybody getting some kickbacks from the action.

How on earth does anyone know what LS did in his childhood? (LOL).

The Italians reached the Euro 2012 final, qualified with 2 games to spare out of a tough group and weren't even seeded. They were then given a tougher playing schedule than Iran and a dodgy ref in the Uruguay game. If that doesn't fuel their paranoia, I don't know what will?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
buckle said:
Italy were not lethargic against Uruguay (66:33 passing stats for the first 45) - it was a bad call which changed the game. I suspect that was influenced by traditional anti-Italian bias by FIFA appointed officials. Whether LS's behaviour was itself driven by steroid abuse is also worthy of consideration. Most of the Uruguayans were also shattered after their CR game though.
objectively, i'd say the opposite is true.
you surely remember this one, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS5yLSynG2g

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Almeisan said:
I think we don't really see a pattern of EPO being used in performance at all.
They may be using it, they may not. But I don't see the pattern.
I cannot see any reason for them to not use it.

Running distance and intensity have drastically improved when EPO has been released. The average running distance were 8.5km and now sometimes that is 13km.

Who is using the large amount of produced EPO that doesn't go to medical entities or the chinese, russian EPO of black market?

sniper said:
objectively, i'd say the opposite is true.
you surely remember this one, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS5yLSynG2g

That was just one incident where Grosso bought a penalty after Materazzi had been unjustly sent off earlier in the game. Italy dominated even with 10 men (doped, yes) but 10 men nevertheless. For the most part Italy have been on the receiving end of bad calls. I think this thread is moving towards the "anglo-saxons" don't dope type of ethos (it's the same gig and is wrecking sports) . Try out David Coleman's commentary on the 1962 World Cup game against Chile for a taste of how deeply prejudiced we in Northern Europe are towards Southern Europeans. It's against this background and narrative that dopers and cheats prosper in our own countries.

thrawn said:
Don't forget about the ridiculous dive and subsequent penalty against NZ at the last world cup too.

Show the film then. DeRossi was having his shirt pulled. There was no dive. NZ bought the last rugby World Cup, got whacked in this year's qualification process for soccer and their cricketer's cheat. Why are they deemed paragons of virtue?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If a player is 5% short of the level they need to be to complete a 90 minute match, given its demands, then that player may well concede the half-a-second, or the half-a-meter, to the opposition that leads to the game’s decisive moment. Winning and losing are literally separated by these margins

1) Football's testing is weak.

2) The stakes for national prestige are enormous (the world cup is the most prestigious competition in the world).

3) Although there certainly is skill involved playing the game, it is a physically taxing game as well, where stamina would certainly help, especially in the last 30 minutes.

Conclusion : We know that under these conditions, participants will "push the envelope" (just like Armstrong), and other participants will see them get away with it, and will be tempted to cheat themselves.

We can argue all day, which teams are cheating more, and which are cheating less, but only a fool would suggest that cheating isn't widespread in football.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I watched the first half of Brazil/Columbia.

I have never seen a whole team run as fast as Brazil did in the first half. They were literally sprinting for the whole half. It looks like the old Charlie Chaplin movies with the "Keystone cops", where everything is "sped up".

I would like to hear from others who watch the second half to give their opinion on Brazil's speed.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Brazil was VERY fast in the first half, but did slow in the second half. Stimulants perhaps ?

I suspect FIFA would look the other way regardless, since they are the home team (just like the IOC looks the other way for the home Olympics).

Andynonomous said:
If a player is 5% short of the level they need to be to complete a 90 minute match, given its demands, then that player may well concede the half-a-second, or the half-a-meter, to the opposition that leads to the game’s decisive moment. Winning and losing are literally separated by these margins

1) Football's testing is weak.

2) The stakes for national prestige are enormous (the world cup is the most prestigious competition in the world).

3) Although there certainly is skill involved playing the game, it is a physically taxing game as well, where stamina would certainly help, especially in the last 30 minutes.

Conclusion : We know that under these conditions, participants will "push the envelope" (just like Armstrong), and other participants will see them get away with it, and will be tempted to cheat themselves.

We can argue all day, which teams are cheating more, and which are cheating less, but only a fool would suggest that cheating isn't widespread in football.

got agree, the harder the conditions the more at stake and the less likely you will be caught the more chances you will dope.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
Two yellow including one against their captain and goal scorer (will miss Germany game for second yellow).

It was getting ridiculous FFS. Brazil goalkeeper should've been sent off.

Not a fan of Germany but i hope they end Brazil's fix.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The tournament started with few "embellishments", but is getting worse and worse. Nobody is getting carded for it.

A Brazilian player was carried off prone on a stretcher near the end of the game.
2 minutes later I saw him sitting on the bench with the substitutes, looking fine (he was clearly just using up time, since Brazil was leading, and time was running out).

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I feel another Zidane incident is building against Brazil, someone will take one of them out in a very violent manner, not that Colombians didn't start trying to near the end of the match.

Not sure i will bother to watch BraVGer.....no point.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
Brazil was VERY fast in the first half, but did slow in the second half. Stimulants perhaps ?

I suspect FIFA would look the other way regardless, since they are the home team (just like the IOC looks the other way for the home Olympics).

I'm not sure Brazil are handling the emotion of the occasion all that well. They're going all out, haven't played well enough to finish teams early, and not for the first time were hanging on at the end.

By the way Andynonomous, the player you saw going off at the end is Brazil's stand out player Neymar, who rather than 'just using up time', fractured a bone in his back and is now out of the tournament

The referee was shocking last night, whistle happy and didn't give the players any protection whatsoever by refusing to dish out any yellow cards. It's particularly dodgy because his reputation in Spain is card happy, averages 7 a game apparently...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BradCantona said:
...The referee was shocking last night, whistle happy and didn't give the players any protection whatsoever by refusing to dish out any yellow cards.
agree.
he blew off harmless fouls in the box, but didn't draw any cards when it got really rough towards the end.
any fool could see colombia going full aggression mode even before neymar got hammered in the back (see benotti's post).
a shame to see him miss the game against germany.

on the other hand, i don't think the referee favored one particular team yesterday. and he did get the spotkick right.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
julio caesar should have gotten a red, more time should have been added to account for brazil's tedious time wasting and other incidents, fernandinho should have seen a couple yellows for one of his 8 fouls on james rodriguez

buckle said:
Curious how the refs always follow the rules when it comes to Italy … The Italians become the whipping boys in soccer and feed off the very prejudices or “narratives” which enabled Lance to survive for so long. The “he stuck to them pesky Euros …” narrative kept Lance afloat for ten years with everybody getting some kickbacks from the action.

How on earth does anyone know what LS did in his childhood? (LOL).

The Italians reached the Euro 2012 final, qualified with 2 games to spare out of a tough group and weren't even seeded. They were then given a tougher playing schedule than Iran and a dodgy ref in the Uruguay game. If that doesn't fuel their paranoia, I don't know what will?

Four world titles and still a Calimero? wow

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
agree, I was fairly sickened for Colombia watching last night. The ref is not a lenient ref in Spain and this was much rougher than a Spanish league match because of all the cynical and deliberate fouls. Although I will say that this ref tends to have a lower card count in internationals and CL/EL matches. But again those games are normally not full of cynical fouls from the first minute.

Brazil's game plan was to rough up Colombia and stop them playing football and the ref was probably the most influential man on the pitch in ensuring that strategy worked.

A lot of people after the game were saying that the Colombians were as bad as Brazil but I felt most of that happened after they knew they were getting stitched by the ref and were frustrated about it. I felt bad for Neymar and would never wish injury on a player but couldn't help thinking that it was a bit of karma.

The simple fact is if a yellow or two were brandished early as they should have been, we might have all seen the match we were expecting to see.

The headline in one of the Colombian newspapers today was 'The Spanish ref: son of the huge sl*t who gave birth to him'

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
The tournament started with few "embellishments", but is getting worse and worse. Nobody is getting carded for it.

A Brazilian player was carried off prone on a stretcher near the end of the game.
2 minutes later I saw him sitting on the bench with the substitutes, looking fine (he was clearly just using up time, since Brazil was leading, and time was running out).

That wouldn't be Naymar would it? The star striker out for the rest of the WC with a broken vertebra? Obviously play acting.:rolleyes:
Now lets talk about Robben.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
slowspoke said:
That wouldn't be Naymar would it? The star striker out for the rest of the WC with a broken vertebra? Obviously play acting.:rolleyes:
Now lets talk about Robben.

I saw someone sitting comfortably on Brazil's bench with brown skin, and fake blonde hair 2 minutes after Naymar was taken off the pitch (maybe there is someone else on the team that looks like him).

I am glad that you knew at that moment that he had a broken vertebrae, but I don't have that insight.

My point was that the refs are not carding embellishment, causing it to increase. Maybe you can explain how Robben overusing embellishment negates my argument (since you are all wise)?

What about Robben though.. still sprinting without tiring in the 119th minute of the match. And did almost everything right. Unbelievable performance. Out of this world if you watched him closely.

What's up with that.. from being injury phrone to being astoundlingy fit for such a long time already (for his doing). What program have Bayern put him on exactly?

TRENDING THREADS