• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

kingjr said:
What are you talking about man, I'm not asking you to 'know' anything, so I fail to understand who you are adressing in your 1st paragraph or how it relates to my post. I repeat, I just thought you maybe had some idea or theory, if you don't that's fine, neither have I.

Its just the same old shot at how football gets away with doping, especially in the ultimate hypocrite land - Germany.

Goetze's decline might have nothing to do with doping. I have no idea what it is. But whenever i see his name I am reminded of how Germany had a team of super skilled and super physical players in the world cup.

His achievement is greater than any other sports person can ever acheive. A cyclist could win the TDF 20 times and it will never be as big as scoring the winning goal in a world cup final. You can win 40 olympic goals and it will never be as big. That the footballers get away with it while other athletes get scrutinized is for me always the biggest injustice in sport and doping.

This is quite anecdotal, but seems plausible and is talked about in Germany off the record: Goetze was a Wunderkind early on and as such he had the status of a teen idol. As we know, football stars get judged by their look today too and Goetze fought with a receding hairline early on. The rumors are he took finasterid to solve the problem, which was of course a big mistake, as it serves as an anti-androgenic. Combine that with possible hormone doping since years and its very reasonable to conclude he destroyed his hormonal axis. This is also in line with the fact that he trains a lot, but still has a bad fitness level, lots of muscular problems and fatigue and the latest development, where the team's doc found out that there is "something wrong with his blood values".

e5smcBf.jpg

Re:

Red Rick said:
Turning a 4 goal deficit into a win and advance in CL? No **** problem
I mean obviously there was a lot of stuff at play there. They got very lucky towards the end, with how the ball fell, with the decisions, PSG made mistakes etc. It was more than just strong play, but there was also skill.

However, to beat a team like PSG 6-1 in 90 minutes, and outplay them the way Barcelona did, controlling the ball throughout, is a massive physical effort too.

The parts of the game I watched, the commentators were talking about what a tragedy it is that Barca lose this game, and leave the competition at such an early stage. The pressure on the team from the whole city and wider community of Catalunya is massive.

Lets just say that if the tests in football weren't so strict and prevalent, there would be very little to stop a team from doping under this situation.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Red Rick said:

Did anyone ask the same question when PSG won the first leg by 4 goals ?

Strange indeed !

Yes they did and the assumption was PSG outdoped Barca. Similar behaviours could be identified during the Euros when an average Italian team outdoped Spain.

I maintain that England did not dope during that championship and played out of their skin to beat Wales with a doped Bale. Only to lose to a heavily juiced Icelandic team who in turn were outdoped by France.

buckle said:
yaco said:
Red Rick said:

Did anyone ask the same question when PSG won the first leg by 4 goals ?

Strange indeed !

Yes they did and the assumption was PSG outdoped Barca. Similar behaviours could be identified during the Euros when an average Italian team outdoped Spain.

I maintain that England did not dope during that championship and played out of their skin to beat Wales with a doped Bale. Only to lose to a heavily juiced Icelandic team who in turn were outdoped by France.

Can you show me the posts in this thread where PSG were called out after defeating Barcelona ?

Yours is another ' throw it away ' post which lacks credibility.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Like this?

AlbineVespuzzio said:
Whoever saw PSG vs Barcelona knows PSG just stepped up another level. Making a team full of World Class footballers looking like children, even though PSG also has first level players demands something else.

Basically PSG did to Barcelona what Barcelona did to everybody else for the past decade, they entered the pitch more charged than the opponents.
Great match to watch though

The Barcelona pressing games was insane on Wednesday. Mascherano was non stop.

T_S_A_R said:
Like this?

AlbineVespuzzio said:
Whoever saw PSG vs Barcelona knows PSG just stepped up another level. Making a team full of World Class footballers looking like children, even though PSG also has first level players demands something else.

Basically PSG did to Barcelona what Barcelona did to everybody else for the past decade, they entered the pitch more charged than the opponents.

The "tell" is the ability to press. It's not clear that all the players are charged for every game of a given season. I suspect that, just like in cycling, certain games (races) are targeted and certain players agree to charge up.

As a "non-believer" (as inexperienced as I am) I was intrigued by England under Roy Hodgson. I have suspicion that firstly under Gerrard and then Rooney, an agreement was reached by the players with the coach not to charge during summer tournaments (in other words, they made me a temporary "believer" again). As a measure of the advantage doping affords a committed team therefore I offer the Icelandic pub XI who made their relatively clean English opponents look ridiculous in 2016.

I further contend that doping was behind the tensions during the Capello regime especially in South Africa 2010 as a dispute broke out between the Chelsea dopers and the then England captain Steven Gerrard.

T_S_A_R said:
Like this?

AlbineVespuzzio said:

This has been happening in football for the last 30 years - Go back to AC Milan and especially Juventus who were running around like supermen.

yaco said:
T_S_A_R said:
Like this?

AlbineVespuzzio said:

This has been happening in football for the last 30 years - Go back to AC Milan and especially Juventus who were running around like supermen.

30 years

So going back to the mid 80's. When EPO and steroids exploded on the sports scene.

Is that what you mean?

Not a single reason to believe, football isn't one of the most juiced up sports around. Combine the immensely financial strength with the utter lack of control and you could put the puzzle together. Also the profile of a world class player is complex. Run like an endurance athlete, while having the needed strength and top that of with agility that needs to be preserved.

The Hitch said:
yaco said:
T_S_A_R said:
Like this?

AlbineVespuzzio said:

30 years

So going back to the mid 80's. When EPO and steroids exploded on the sports scene.

Is that what you mean?

The difference is that some and probably most of the substances taken at time were probably legal - Not that it helps a number of Italian footballers who suffered serious health issues.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

yaco said:
The Hitch said:
yaco said:
T_S_A_R said:
Like this?

AlbineVespuzzio said:

30 years

Is that what you mean?

The difference is that some and probably most of the substances taken at time were probably legal - Not that it helps a number of Italian footballers who suffered serious health issues.

Interesting. I didn't know that, the details of football doping has kinda passed me by.
Just did a quick google and found this article an interesting ( and quick) read:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/apr/30/newsstory.sport9

Exactly as you say, 'legal' drugs, and used openly.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re:

frisenfruitig said:
Is there any reason to assume they weren't also taking loads of illegal substances though?

Not sure if directed at me but no! there's no reason to assume that. Probably up to their eyeballs on everything innit.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
Haha. This is hillarious:

Messi manages a top speed with the ball faster than one of the best NFL running backs does while doing a timed sprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyr0oVJSXE

Yep, good illustration of Messi's...erm...'amazingness.'
Really impressive too though cos the NFL players are about as juiced up as you can get.

(As an aside, what a incredibly annoying effing video. Why the hell does American TV present stuff like this. I felt like smashing the laptop half way through).

Re:

frisenfruitig said:
Is there any reason to assume they weren't also taking loads of illegal substances though?

It's only illegal if its on the prohibited list - Back in the 1980's/1990's there was no WADA Code underpinning all sports - So different sporting federations had a hot potch of banned substances and the IOC tended to over-arch all Olympic Sports - Remember we are discussing professional football, so their list of banned substances would be limited 30 years ago.

Dan2016 said:
frisenfruitig said:

Not sure if directed at me but no! there's no reason to assume that. Probably up to their eyeballs on everything innit.

We are talking about Italian football Seria A going back 30 years ago - Different drug codes ( if any at all ) were in existence at that time - There was no WADA so sports ran their own race - Because a sporting team used substances that are banned in 2017, doesn't mean they were banned in 1987 - My guess is few have thought through the issue.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

yaco said:
Dan2016 said:
frisenfruitig said:

We are talking about Italian football Seria A going back 30 years ago - Different drug codes ( if any at all ) were in existence at that time - There was no WADA so sports ran their own race - Because a sporting team used substances that are banned in 2017, doesn't mean they were banned in 1987 - My guess is few have thought through the issue.

Yep, was just a reply to previous poster agreeing we can't make assumptions, I wouldn't pretend to know much about the footballing nitty-gritty. You seem to know more, do you know what was on the go at that time? I'm interested. Reports of deaths due to doping etc. I wonder if EPO was on the go. Certainly copious amounts of steroids I imagine.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Dan2016 said:
The Hitch said:
Haha. This is hillarious:

Messi manages a top speed with the ball faster than one of the best NFL running backs does while doing a timed sprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyr0oVJSXE

Yep, good illustration of Messi's...erm...'amazingness.'
Really impressive too though cos the NFL players are about as juiced up as you can get.

(As an aside, what a incredibly annoying effing video. Why the hell does American TV present stuff like this. I felt like smashing the laptop half way through).

look at the size of his head Dan2016, and he was on the hgh when he was a child to make him grow. this is on-the-record. not a conspiracy.

TRENDING THREADS