• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Discgear said:
kosmonaut said:
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/doping/eks-langrennsloeper-var-frisk-fikk-astmamedisin/a/23749728/

Finally someone speaking up. The highlight:

Siri Halle (44), junior world champ and on the Norweigan national team in the 90- and 00s, was advised to use Ventoline even though she never thought she had asthma.

– It wasn't said straight out that "now you'll gain a few seconds". What was said was that "you'll benefit from using this (Ventoline), you will gain time from using it", and "I recommend that you use this medicine.

– That being said, I remember I took one of those tests where I blew a little and a lot. Then they found some irritation there and that qualified to be some kind of asthma, or an irritation, enough to get Ventoline. I can today not understand that I was asthmatic, and I have not had problems breathing, but I cannot to this day understand how I could have the need for medicine.

Great work by VG. Is this just the beginning?

The Berlin wall is coming down brick by brick.... My popcorn bag is starting to need a refill. Is Norwegian media finally starting to act like professional journalists and not just a supporter club? Hopefully it will also spread to the Swedish newspapers.
No surprise to see who the authors are. These are proper journalists, and hopefully they have time to keep pushing this.

Excellent stuff. Wont get my hopes up just yet, but this might turn ugly if the bubble bursts properly.

In Finland Seppälä of Finnish antidoping has voiced some concerns, as quoted upthread. However, the media has not been in any sort of frenzy / schadenfraude mode. Perhaps they are playing it safe - the next WC is held in Lahti afterall... :D

kosmonaut said:
No surprise to see who the authors are. These are proper journalists, and hopefully they have time to keep pushing this.
From the todays article in VG:
En av Norges fremste eksperter på allergi og astma, Kai-Håkon Carlsen
Det er mange som sier at det bedrer prestasjonene, men det finnes mye rikholdig litteratur som viser at det ikke er tilfelle. Hvis ikke hadde ikke medisinene blitt sluppet fri av WADA og IOC. Mange var redd for at det skulle forbedre prestasjonene, så det ble satt i gang mange studier etter 1993 som viser at så ikke er tilfelle, sier Kai-Håkon Carlsen.
This honorable professor seems to be one of the key guys in this whole mess. When Norges Skiforbund and FIS time after time say that asthma medication doesn’t “forbedre prestasjonene” and that studies shows the same (studies that often involves the very same professors and doctors connected to NSF), nobody refers to scientific articles that shows the opposite.
If those journalists are as good as you say, please pass on the following links so they could ask follow up questions!

Studie fra 2000 som viser at inntak av 12mg oral salbutamol daglig er prestasjonsfremmende:
http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/2/430.full

Studie fra 2004 som viser at 800 mikrogram inhalert salbutamol er prestasjonsfremmende:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyWvJ0zpMgAYUJRcGM1azc3TG8

Following claims in this article http://www.dn.se/arkiv/sport/astmam...-ny-undersokning-baddar-for-het-dopingdebatt/: already in 1993:
"New research shows that Salbutamol (chemical name on Ventoline) in tablet-form, in surprisingly short time, increases muscle strength considerably on young men".
MD Torbjörn Conradsson on Draco, the company who is marketing Bricanyl: "It’s hard to understand that one [tablets] is forbidden and the other [spray] is allowed. If you’re using spray a number of times it gives a similar effect as the tablets. If you want to dope with inhalator, you can".
Bertil Nyborg expert on Glaxo the company who is marketing Ventoline: "We have been doing testing that shows it has a performance-enhancing effect also on healthy people"
This article where medical director of Anti-Doping Committee in Finland ADT, Timo Seppälä says that the very high concentrations of salbutamol in MJS urin has anabolic effects. http://www.iltasanomat.fi/maastohiihto/art-2000001223864.html

And finally this article about Salazars Oregon Nike project including runners like Mo Farah:
https://www.propublica.org/article/elite-runner-had-qualms-alberto-salazar-asthma-drug-performance

Re: The press conference

Discgear said:
First, my interest in this subject is my background. I'm having severe asthma problems since early childhood. I've been in hospitals for emergency treatment with Nebulisators and since maybe 25 years I've been inhaling bricanyl and symbicourt and similar medicins just for daily need. I was a talented athlete and the best thing I knew was XC-skiing. In the 70s asthma wasn't very well documented and treated. I always blamed myself for failing so severly in XC-competetions during my early school years. I went into other sports, involving balls and puck, sports where you could sit down when you couldn't catch breath. I simply do not believe that anyone with real asthma problems would have any possibility being prominent in aerobic sports, thus being able to make it into junior championships and nationals. One of my goals in life is to one day being able to complete a Wasaloppet. Not sure if it ever will be possible.

Since I spent so much time doing the cutting and pasting in my last long post I'll cheat and do it like this:

I'm sorry about your own experiences with Asthma. I find it strange that you believe asthma precludes anyone from being prominent in aerobic sports. With such a belief, I understand you think everything is doping.

As for completing Wasaloppet, a Danish TV commentator said something interesting during the Olympics that I find pretty accurate. XC Skiing is 1/3 physique, 1/3 technique and 1/3 materiel.

In your case you would need to focus on technique and material in order to compensate for your physique.

On the Nebulizer. I don't see a need to get into the too and from arguments about nebulizers. The discussion is in the CAS paper, with both sides having good points, and both sides being experts.(I doubt either of us could add anything valuable there)

Also this was not something he used regularly. My understanding was he used it in 2009 and for 3-4 weeks in the 13/14 season. He had a TUE in 2009 but the doctor thought he didn't need one in 13/14. And this quote from CAS panel in page 54:
the consequences to be imposed range, under both editions, from a
minimum of a reprimand and no ineligibility to a maximum of two
years’ ineligibility, depending on the Athlete’s degree of fault, given
that the Athlete indisputably established how salbutamol entered his
body, i.e. by his use of the nebulizer, and WADA accepts that he did
not intend to enhance his sporting performance
;

I'm sorry if you felt offended, but I spent a lot of time looking into your points and felt I had been lied to throughout. That makes me a bit lets say dissapointed. And I feel it insults my intelligence. My Norwegianess was not insulted.

Again. Wada decides the limits, rules and regulation based on their expert interpretation of the available research. Quoting out of context research does not prove anything other than you took the time to read and find research you think proves your point. I don't have the time or interest in digging into asthma research and finding errors or weak points in studies. Wada has already done that. And see quote above about not believing he intended to enhance his performance.

I think it's good that your errors are not intentional. Only sick people would use their time to purposely mislead others on an internet forum.

The problem of selective reading remains. This is something one has to be very aware of. For example, in this case, you might ask yourself, why haven't wada read this, or if they have, why haven't they agreed with my/the papers conclusions.

As for your final point. I don't see the logic in your argument.

Re:

meat puppet said:
Excellent stuff. Wont get my hopes up just yet, but this might turn ugly if the bubble bursts properly.

In Finland Seppälä of Finnish antidoping has voiced some concerns, as quoted upthread. However, the media has not been in any sort of frenzy / schadenfraude mode. Perhaps they are playing it safe - the next WC is held in Lahti afterall... :D

It could be they know better and understand there is no bubble that needs bursting, or that at least this is no bubble. Seppala was head of Finnish AD in 2001, and he tried to minimize the Finnish doping at the time by intimating that every one else doped too. This has been at the core of a lot of arguments from Finland towards the Norwegians.

They think they got caught while the Norwegians were able to get of scott free. The problem is the assumption of doping. The dopers rationalize their own doping to themselves with an idea that others are doing this too. It's still surprising that Seppala seems to still hang onto this after 15 years. He should know better by now.

Re: Re:

ToreBear said:
meat puppet said:

It could be they know better and understand there is no bubble that needs bursting, or that at least this is no bubble. Seppala was head of Finnish AD in 2001, and he tried to minimize the Finnish doping at the time by intimating that every one else doped too. This has been at the core of a lot of arguments from Finland towards the Norwegians.

They think they got caught while the Norwegians were able to get of scott free. The problem is the assumption of doping. The dopers rationalize their own doping to themselves with an idea that others are doing this too. It's still surprising that Seppala seems to still hang onto this after 15 years. He should know better by now.
First, and for the record, I have no sympathy towards Finnish skiers or skiing brass. They got what they needed to get. Point is, others got to get got too.

But sure, there is no doping. Only stoned grinding.

When head of Antidoping Finland, Timo Seppälä, calls out for an international investigation of doping within the Norwegian Ski Association and how it handles positive tests, he might have a very valid point.

In the pressconference Norwegian Ski Association did send out the following comments:

The team doctor understood the provision so that the dose specification applies to the legal dose delivered to the body (the actual inhaled dose), and not the dose installed in the device (measured dose).
http://www.skiforbundet.no/Images/2.2.%20Short%20summary%20of%20the%20award%20%28english%29.pdf

and
According to the understanding of the Norwegian Ski Association the amount of medicine reaching the lungs represents the dose of Ventoline inhaled by the athlete, while WADA is of the opinion that the dose is the amount of drug that is metered into the inhaling device
http://www.skiforbundet.no/Images/The%20Case%20-%20Engelsk%20versjon%20av%20Dette%20er%20saken[4].pdf

This is really the key issue. WADA makes clear that it is the amount of drug that is put into the inhaling device that the limits are based upon. But Norway has clearly used a much more creative interpretation. By cherry-picked studies (CAS wording) they’ve come to conclusion it would be alright to meter up an almost 10 times bigger dose when using Nebulizers.
No one what I can recall, have asked the question how much of the inserted dose an ordinary inhaler delivers to the lung? I’ve seen different numbers, but this well-referenced scientific study claims the following:
Delivery of more drug to the lung may appear to be a desirable goal in the treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, since only 10 to 15% of a drug dose administered via a metered dose inhaler (MDI) reaches the lung.
https://www.scopus.com/record/display.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0035117761&origin=inward&txGid=0

So Timo Seppälä have a valid point that an international investigation is needed. Because, why should we assume that the Norwegian Ski Association have narrowed down this view of “the amount of medicine reaching the lungs” only to Nebulizers? It would take a fool to believe they haven't done the same with ordinary inhalers and also maybe other medicaments.

BullsFan22 said:
ToreBear said:
@Discgear I think USADA had the same understanding of the rules as the NSF. So i'ts not like it's a unique misunderstanding.

Why in the world would USADA get involved in this? Wouldn't this be between WADA, FIS, the NSF, NADA, Sundby and his coaches/team doctors??

The Cas decision really isn't a bad read(P55): ;)
questions as to the possibility to use nebulizers and the amount of
salbutamol they could nebulize while remaining below the Use Threshold were (apparently) asked by American athletes. When asked,
USADA did not respond simply that any athlete wishing to nebulize
salbutamol must request a TUE. Instead, it advised athletes who wanted
to nebulize to contact the manufacturer to “ask what percentage of the
drug you are using is administered with each dose”
. This approach,
focussing on what amount of the substance actually reached the
Athlete’s body by use of the nebulizer, is that adopted by Dr Gabrielsen
and, in consequence the Athlete before he used it, and was also the
approach sought to be defended by his experts before the Panel;

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Discgear said:
If those journalists are as good as you say, please pass on the following links so they could ask follow up questions!
I must admit that I did not pass on your links, because I don't know than any better than you, but they are following up the story nevertheless ;)

http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/langrenn/strid-om-astmamedisin-gir-fordeler-i-skisporet/a/23749560/
http://www.vg.no/sport/fis/roestes-selektive-virkelighet/a/23751307/

The latter is an opinion piece, which is rather okay. Nothing new and quite similar points as the Facebook post that where passed around – but still good that the public and fanboys gets to read it.

kosmonaut said:
Discgear said:
I must admit that I did not pass on your links, because I don't know than any better than you, but they are following up the story nevertheless ;)

http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/langrenn/strid-om-astmamedisin-gir-fordeler-i-skisporet/a/23749560/
http://www.vg.no/sport/fis/roestes-selektive-virkelighet/a/23751307/

The latter is an opinion piece, which is rather okay. Nothing new and quite similar points as the Facebook post that where passed around – but still good that the public and fanboys gets to read it.
This seems like a real turning point. Also in Dagbladet it was maybe an even more outspoken article that discuss nearly everything we have lifted in this thread the last days.
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/doping-i-skisporet/60344447
Now I only wish that the journalists could ask NSF how much they are overdosing with ordinary inhalers, since scientific articles points to only 10-15% of the dose reaching the lungs...... ;)

Maybe the most devastating article against the press-conference claims of NSF, FIS, Antidoping Norge and Sundby so far.
http://www.tv2.no/sport/8478304/
FIS Antidoping cleared MJS but FIS central quarters had the same view as WADA (a two year ban).
Their expert was prof. Ken Fitch from Australia. His main critique:
• That the national association economically compensates a doping convicted athlete
• That the national association, in conflict with WADA-code, takes away the responsibility from the athlete
• He emphasizes that the explanations from the team doctor “lacks credibility” and is like “clinging to a straw”
• He asks rethorically if the Norwegian Ski Association would have handled the case in the same way, if it was about a foreigner
And maybe the most stunning thing:
In the first answers team doctor Gabrielsen and Johnsrud Sundby gave to FIS, nothing is mentioned about the rules and uncertainty about Ventolin together with nebulizer. That explanation is given much later, after three other explanations were given regarding MJS positive tests
1. Sundby was dehydrated
2. Test results positive due to the high altitude in Toblach and Davos
3. Test results due to intense training by Sundby
Vow! :surprised: So much later the explanation came, that it was due to severe asthma and intense treatment with Nebulizer. (not intense training which doesn’t really cohere with severe asthma) :rolleyes:
Fitch strongly rejects all those explanations.
Finally Fitch says:
1-2 times before I’ve come across other athletes that have tested positive for Salbutamol due to use of Nebulizer. But they didn’t use it every day for one month, only once due to severe asthma.

Re:

Discgear said:
Maybe the most devastating article against the press-conference claims of NSF, FIS, Antidoping Norge and Sundby so far.
FIS Antidoping cleared MJS but FIS central quarters had the same view as WADA (a two year ban).
• That the national association economically compensates a doping convicted athlete
• That the national association, in conflict with WADA-code, takes away the responsibility from the athlete
• He emphasizes that the explanations from the team doctor “lacks credibility” and is like “clinging to a straw”
• He asks rethorically if the Norwegian Ski Association would have handled the case in the same way, if it was about a foreigner
In the first answers team doctor Gabrielsen and Johnsrud Sundby gave to FIS, nothing is mentioned about the rules and uncertainty about Ventolin together with nebulizer. That explanation is given much later, after three other explanations were given regarding MJS positive tests
1. Sundby was dehydrated
Vow! :surprised: So much later the explanation came, that it was due to severe asthma and intense treatment with Nebulizer. (not intense training which doesn’t really cohere with severe asthma) :rolleyes:
Finally Fitch says:
1-2 times before I’ve come across other athletes that have tested positive for Salbutamol due to use of Nebulizer. But they didn’t use it every day for one month, only once due to severe asthma.

Short addition from dr Fitch in this article:
http://www.nrk.no/sport/ekspert-i-sundby-saken_-_-derfor-kunne-jeg-ikke-forsvare-utoveren-1.13065436

It was impossible for me to defend the athlete in this case due to the two following specific things, says prof Fitch to NRK:
-a) I cannot support the advice from the team doctor, especially since it was given over the phone and without an examinaning the patient. :surprised:
-b) the decision by the athlete to use the Nebulizer three times in a time-span less than five hours, on days of competition.

So "the acute exacerbation of the illness in December 2014" was just communicated over the phone to the team doctor. No foregoing examination. Prescription of a drug almost 10 times allowed dose. And everyone trust MJS in this. No need to investigate, decides FIS antidoping, Antidoping Norge and NSF. :eek:

Discgear said:
Discgear said:
1. Sundby was dehydrated

Finally Fitch says:

Short addition from dr Fitch in this article:
http://www.nrk.no/sport/ekspert-i-sundby-saken_-_-derfor-kunne-jeg-ikke-forsvare-utoveren-1.13065436

It was impossible for me to defend the athlete in this case due to the two following specific things, says prof Fitch to NRK:
-a) I cannot support the advice from the team doctor, especially since it was given over the phone and without an examinaning the patient. :surprised:
-b) the decision by the athlete to use the Nebulizer three times in a time-span less than five hours, on days of competition.

So "the cute exacerbation of the illness in December 2014" was just communicated over the phone to the team doctor. No foregoing examination. Prescription of a drug almost 10 times allowed dose. And everyone trust MJS in this. No need to investigate, decides FIS antidoping, Antidoping Norge and NSF. :eek:

To the bolded: If this were a case of high hemoglobin, that would be a nice explanation, a simple one, but a valid one, however it is not a case of high hemoglobin. It seems that the NSF and FIS, tippy toed around the issue, wanting to clear Sundby and the doctors of any wrongdoing. WADA and anti-doping officials wanted a two year ban, but FIS rejected it.

Matti Heikkinen was interviewed today in Helsingin sanomat, Finlands biggest daily, on this topic. Basically says MJS is my mate, yes there was a clear cut violation of rules, but that's that. Wont say anything about whatever anyone does in a sports context. Also underlines that nothing doping related in the media concerns him anymore in any way, since he developed a thick skin after 2001. He is cleans, of course.

So, MJS cheats. But it does not bother heikkinen because - well, guess everyone can fill their preferred interpretation here.

No further questions were asked, of course. Funny that.