• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 195 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
What action? Not to give Tyumen World Championship at time when nobody should give Russia organizing of any such event. With that your question and basically all your post is answered sufficiently.
Not a single russian skier or biathlete was caught with doping in 2016 or 2017. Why did Koukalova go to Tyumen post season event in 2016?

Very Czech behaviour. Traditional one. And Besseberg words about Hitler's-like approach perfectly suit the situation. While ten's of millions of innocent russians were killed in WW2 "zlatý český ručičky" (Czech golden hands) were producing weapons and ammunition for that purpose and getting their salaries.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
not sure the generalization about the modern czechs are fair. just as the generalizations about the russian dopers are fair...

i lived and worked in prague in the 90s. learned the language...many a time i went skiing with my czech friends among whom.... were the russian speakers. i can only vouch for my own experience - there was zero prejudice towards them among the czechs i befriended. not that there was no resentment among the older generation re. the 1968 or even earlier. old people have their own old opinions..

btw, it was casper not bessberg. and he was right. too bad being politically correct about anything re the jews had poisoned the european freedom of expression.

Libertine Seguros said:
Kokoso said:
Libertine Seguros said:
The problem is, it's being reported as if the whole problem - and the athletes' petition that was rejected that led to the US and CZE delegations and Fourcade walking out of the meeting at Antholz - is to do with the handling of the Russians in the wake of the McLaren report, and frankly given some of the concerns about the report and the fact that 2/3 the athletes named in it have since been cleared, it's difficult to see what exactly they are supposed to have done. A lot hinges, like I said, on whether they are able to take action not against the Russian athletes but the SBR, because that's where the problem lies. I think that while Besseberg may anger the Americans and the Czechs with a lack of action and hoping the investigations will sort out enough bad apples to keep people happy, there's not really much of a middle ground to be taken, and any swifter, heavier action against athletes would lead to some pretty tail-between-the-legs backing down once so many of them were cleared of wrongdoing.

If the concerns are more wide-reaching ones and the reportage reducing it down to the Russia issue is inaccurate, then it does them a disservice. The fact that the two countries who've raised the most concerns and made the most fuss on this issue (and indeed, apart from Fourcade, all the athletes you name are from those two countries) are the countries that have the most to gain (either politically or sport-wise) may be coincidental, or it may not. YMMV. There are many issues with the running of the sport and plenty of reasons to critique the people in charge, however while I'm sure some of it is, I don't think all of the anti-Russia posturing is rooted in an altruistic commitment to cleaner sport.
Pointless post since it again stems from Koukalova not shaking Besseberg's hand; which you've automatically assigned to not suspeding or banning suspicious Russian athletes, or even all Russian athletes.

I don't quite understand how you've managed to include the petition there. The points of the petition had nothing to do with requirement for swifter action against Russian athletes (or as you've called it "baying for the Russians to be banned outright" - which is blatant lie).
Actually, Koko, it's not a pointless post, because it adds clarity to the previous one, pointing out that the way the actions of the teams are being reported - and I think it would be a bizarre argument to try to suggest that Fourcade, the US and Czech teams aren't the most vocal by far in this, and also the reason for including the petition was that these were the groups that walked out of the Antholz meeting - helps to create the feeling that there's a push for more action against Russia (especially Russophone sources, for obvious reasons) which, if inaccurate, does them a disservice - as I specifically stated in the post you regard as pointless. A Russian biathlon site ran an interview at Hochfilzen with a Czech trainer who talked of the team being afraid to accept gifts from fans anymore, "closing its windows and doors" (although I think this is metaphorical, not literal as it's been published) and of receiving abuse from Russian fans (taking care to specify that it's not the team) "probably because we are actively opposing doping" (here) - you can see how the statement, and the subsequent way in which it's been reported, creates a feeling of mutual antagonism, where context is not given and the interview comes across as quite hostile from the interviewer and guarded from the interviewee. I agree though, awarding Tyumen' the World Championships in 2021 was outright stupid.

I would point out, however, the names of the 31, the dates they were tested and McLaren report observations thereon actually are out there. My talking about the 12 juniors, and guesses at those still being investigated (posted a few weeks ago when Glazyrina's suspension was announced) after 22 of the 31 were cleared, is not idle speculation but all based on the information that has been provided.

Why was that stupid? When was Tyumen awarded the 2021 world's?

This is a very good article by one of the top journalists in Sweden, Anna-Lena Laurén, the correspondent of Dagens Nyheter in Moscow. She's not a sport journalist, but she basically raises all basic problems we have pointed out in this thread surrounding both Johaug and Johnsrud Sundby cases.

Use google translate to read this link: http://www.dn.se/arkiv/nyheter/anna-lena-lauren-idrottspamparnas-dubbla-mattstockar-ar-forodande/

Btw, Anna-Lena is a Swedish Finn - as Hasse Svens, seems the Finns are not accepting BS as easily as their fellow Swedish journalist collegues.

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Discgear said:
This is a very good article by one of the top journalists in Sweden, Anna-Lena Laurén, the correspondent of Dagens Nyheter in Moscow. She's not a sport journalist, but she basically raises all basic problems we have pointed out in this thread surrounding both Johaug and Johnsrud Sundby cases.

Use google translate to read this link: http://www.dn.se/arkiv/nyheter/anna-lena-lauren-idrottspamparnas-dubbla-mattstockar-ar-forodande/

Btw, Anna-Lena is a Swedish Finn - as Hasse Svens, seems the Finns are not accepting BS as easily as their fellow Swedish journalist collegues.

There is a gradual realization even in the Norwegian media, to a small degree, that the Johaug-case-is-special is non-story outside Norway. Everyone has a good explanation for why they got busted.
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/joh...ngen-johaug-debatt-internasjonalt/a/23955845/

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Meanwhile in Finland: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSHCUtUgJHt/?taken-by=kerttuniskanen
Pekka Vähäsöyrinki becomes the new personal coach of Kerttu Niskanen and Juho Mikkonen. I really expected something like that. Kerttu was very disappointed in her season and it was quite obvious that her cooperation with Jussi Piirainen didn't lead to good enough results.

All the gangsters from the 90s are now truly back in the game apart from Kyrö who also will also begin coaching again soon:
Jarmo Punkkinen: Kaisa Mäkäräinen
Antti Leppävuori: Finnish national biathlon team
Jarmo Riski: Sami Jauhojärvi (and still consulting Aino-Kaisa Saarinen)
Pekka Vähäsöyrinki: Ari Luusua, Kerttu Niskanen, Juho Mikkonen

It's also fairly common knowledge in the Finnish skiing circles that Kyrö and Anne Kyllönen worked together when Kyllönen was at her peak, but I believe she already has switched coach.

Good post. Niskanen hiring vähäsöyrinki is ridiculous, but it is even more ridiculous that no journalist asks her about it. Or the others you listed. I mean mäkäräinen and punkkinen, for Petes sake. It is only a month since mr vähäsöyrinki "confessed" his involvement in the team wide shenanigans before Lahti 2001.

No substantial difference to Johaug and MJS in my book.

BullsFan22 said:
I am sure most of us that have contributed and those that just like to read this particular part of the Clinic know about the SVT documentary on high blood values in the 90's, but as I was thinking about the recent doping cases in skiing, I couldn't resist searching for it, and would like to share it:

http://www.svt.se/ug/svensk-skidchef-morkade-blodvarden
Bengt-Erik Bengtsson let Silvio Fauner and Manuella Di Centa compete even though they had over the limit blood values in Lahtis 1997.

The grand old man of XC-skiing in SVT, Jakob Hard comments on Anti Doping Norges decision to free Bendiksen:
"En landslagsläkare som köper, ordinerar och tillhandahåller anabola steroider till en elitidrottare och dessutom försäkrar att det inte är doping bryter inte mot dopingreglerna. Nu vet vi det."
http://www.svt.se/sport/vintersport/hard-om-friade-lakaren-kanns-minst-sagt-markligt/

translation:
A team doctor that buys, prescripts and provides anabolic steroids to a top athlete and furthermore assures it's not doping, doesn't violate the doping rules. Now we know.

Pretty much sums it up. :eek:

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I like this verdict.

This is why:
1. Johaug is caught with stereoids in her blood.
2. She is asked to explain how that could happen
3. A completely improbable chain of events is fabricated. Funny thing is that it was the least improbable story that could be fabricated.
4. A very experienced sports doctor had to be sacrificed in order to make the story stick with the public.
5. FIS won't buy the story, brings it to CAS. :D
6. ADN gets uncomfortable with the coming fallout from the CAS verdict.
7. ADN re-evaluates the story and realizes it's fabricated.
8. By logic, doctor is not guilty of the "fabricated actions".

Is there any other logical explanation?

Re:

Nicko. said:
I like this verdict.

This is why:
1. Johaug is caught with stereoids in her blood.
2. She is asked to explain how that could happen
3. A completely improbable chain of events is fabricated. Funny thing is that it was the least improbable story that could be fabricated.
4. A very experienced sports doctor had to be sacrificed in order to make the story stick with the public.
5. FIS won't buy the story, brings it to CAS. :D
6. ADN gets uncomfortable with the coming fallout from the CAS verdict.
7. ADN re-evaluates the story and realizes it's fabricated.
8. By logic, doctor is not guilty of the "fabricated actions".

Is there any other logical explanation?

This whole thing is just mind numbing. I still don't understand how something that is supposed to go on the lips gets into the bloodstream or urine. That's essentially the start of the problem, or number 1 in your list of 8. I still can't get past number 1, so you know that I am bewildered by this whole debacle. Everything from 2 to 8 is one big soap opera that only Norwegian XC and the people surrounding it can conjure up. They should do another season of Lillyhammer on Netflix that only revolves around the Johaug case.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the norge state agency exoneration of the doping doc whose earnings are almost exclusively norge state-derived should surprise NO ONE.

if you you were surprised, you don't understand how a state sponsored system of 'health care' is essentially the same animal as the very mafia concept - designed, conceived and actually practicing - legally - mind you, the same 'family' values.

you naive folks should get it, the doc was part of the family. the big norge family - from the clown northug to lofshus to olympiatoppe etc...all earning their living by exploiting the national obsession with the sport. the 'grey areas' were always a part of the the 'family business'.

don't count on learning much unless 'the family' gets busted.

Re:

python said:
the norge state agency exoneration of the doping doc whose earnings are almost exclusively norge state-derived should surprise NO ONE.

if you you were surprised, you don't understand how a state sponsored system of 'health care' is essentially the same animal as the very mafia concept - designed, conceived and actually practicing - legally - mind you, the same 'family' values.

you naive folks should get it, the doc was part of the family. the big norge family - from the clown northug to lofshus to olympiatoppe etc...all earning their living by exploiting the national obsession with the sport. the 'grey areas' were always a part of the the 'family business'.

Still have a hard time to believe there is a full blown state sponsored system in place in Norway.

Yes I believe EPO was introduced and used on a broad basis among the Norse in the build up before Lillehammer. I believe it was used many years after. When the truth slowly came out about high blood values and testing started, some athletes simply finished their career prematurely. There is still rotten tomatoes in the basket from the Lillehammer era: among leaders, officials, trainers, medics and so on. Even partners. Bjoergen is married to one of the prime suspects.

But because of the official attitude concerning doping in Norge, I can't believe that the young ones joining the team are instantly entering a full blown state sponsored doping program. Yes, I think they are introduced in grey areas that gradually are numbing their conscious. Yes, I believe some of the athletes are, with the support of rotten tomatoes, crossing the Rubicon.

Re:

meat puppet said:
Niskanen hiring vähäsöyrinki is ridiculous, but it is even more ridiculous that no journalist asks her about it...
Kerttu Niskanen has now commented on her decision to cooperate with Pekka Vähäsöyrinki:

http://www.is.fi/maastohiihto/art-2000005150164.html?ref=rss

Finnish is barely readable through Google Translator, so I'll provide here the highlights from the interview:

- "The discussion is totally ridiculous. If we keep coming to this subject time and time again, it is better not to do interviews at all. I am familiar with his history: what took place over twenty years ago should not influence anything. I am living now and so is Pekka and we are looking into the future."
- "There was discussion about making some changes throughout the season. I made the first move towards Pekka, he didn't contact me."
-"Through these years Pekka has asked about my exercises and about the races I participated. He is very sharp-eyed and systematical and still to wants learn new things."
- "Everyone who knows about modern cross country skiing understands that it is possible to triumph clean. If someone doesn't get it, there is nothing I can do about it."

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

Discgear said:
python said:

Still have a hard time to believe there is a full blown state sponsored system in place in Norway.
i don't believe it either. definitely not in the sense of the german communist model or even the alleged modern russ model.

that post was inspired by the thoughts i had following the recent re-run of the 'god father' film...recall, even the main hero's family had a code of honour. for instance, he looked down on street drugs and tried to convince the other families to follow...

still it was a criminal family offering a life-long protection and care for being loyal and tight-lipped.

keep in mind, the extreme effort we have seen the norges skiforbund was ready to go thrr to obfuscate the blood values from the 90s etc. we've discussed it at length here, haven't we ? to me, it's the same omerta as the reflex of protecting the big family in the movie.

the absolute support or sympathy for the convicted dopers by virtually all state agency - from paying their expenses to white washing their hurt image - stands in stark contrast with the anti-doping practice of most countries. particularly the nordic neighbors. exonerating the doc was just the predictable and logical extension of the 'big family' principle.

fortunately, most norwegians are genuinely anti-doping. but i am not so sure about their xc ski clique.

at least this mindless unwavering support for the obvious rule breakers isn't helping.

python said:
Discgear said:
python said:

i don't believe it either. definitely not in the sense of the german communist model or even the alleged modern russ model.

that post was inspired by the thoughts i had following the recent re-run of the 'god father' film...recall, even the main hero's family had a code of honour. for instance, he looked down on street drugs and tried to convince the other families to follow...

still it was a criminal family offering a life-long protection and care for being loyal and tight-lipped.

keep in mind, the extreme effort we have seen the norges skiforbund was ready to go thrr to obfuscate the blood values from the 90s etc. we've discussed it at length here, haven't we ? to me, it's the same omerta as the reflex of protecting the big family in the movie.

the absolute support or sympathy for the convicted dopers by virtually all state agency - from paying their expenses to white washing their hurt image - stands in stark contrast with the anti-doping practice of most countries. particularly the nordic neighbors. exonerating the doc was just the predictable and logical extension of the 'big family' principle.

fortunately, most norwegians are genuinely anti-doping. but i am not so sure about their xc ski clique.

at least this mindless unwavering support for the obvious rule breakers isn't helping.

Couldn't agree more. :)

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Mechanical doping on the way in XC?

Rottefella have got a binding with a motor that can move it backwards and forwards via a remote control switch mounted in the ski pole, whilst skiing, i.e move it forwards for uphill sections and backwards for downhill glides. http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/skire...-motorisert-skiutstyr-i-verdenscupen/67448103
An application has been made to FIS to use it in competition. Of course nobody would have used it in competition yet, because it's not been approved. Obviously.

Saw Bendiksen not being prosecuted. Read the rage and indignation here. :lol: How this illustrates that something is rotten in Norway etc.

Bendiksen was freed because WADAs rules don't allow for punishing doctors unless they do something intentional. The rules are stupid, but they are the rules.

TRENDING THREADS