• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Inglewood - not the best area :(

My guess he was doing a variation of what I knew as the "dump run" when I was living in Brisbane. A great ride but some of the roads around Inglewood and Archerfield were full of bogan drivers who'd happily do something like this if they knew they could get away with it :mad:

RedheadDane said:
What. Did I. Just read?

What the **** is wrong with people? :mad::eek:

There is a little more to it than meets the eye on both sides. (It may be a a counter suit on lawyers' recommendation, issue of cyclists' culpability with late night, no lights etc, potential "cover-up", possible "drunk driving" etc..) But yes, it seems ridiculous.

Archibald said:

I loved this bit...

"NSW will not legislate a mandatory one-metre gap for cars overtaking cyclists as is *currently being tried in Queensland because of the dangers it poses to drivers crossing into oncoming traffic."

Clearly the "dangers posed" to drivers (which they control in this case) trump the "dangers posed" to cyclists (who have no control over an overtaking motorist). The implied message is that cyclists deserve all the danger they experience lest they delay motorists.

So motorists should continue to squeeze past closely and unsafely (and occassionaly run down cyclists) becasue they are incapable of scanning the road ahead to ensure it is safe to overtake.

That's the argument being used by detractors against the metre laws in Queensland, claiming that it's dangerous and may cause head on collisions when leaving a metre clearance when passing!!!

It really is too difficult for some people to look ahead and check if they need to slow down and wait before passing :eek:

42x16ss said:
That's the argument being used by detractors against the metre laws in Queensland, claiming that it's dangerous and may cause head on collisions when leaving a metre clearance when passing!!!

It really is too difficult for some people to look ahead and check if they need to slow down and wait before passing :eek:

Yeah, it's ridiculous. So apparently it is "safe" to squeeze past provided you are in a hurry and can't wait a few seconds for the road ahead to be clear. :confused:

42x16ss said:
Of course not but when you consider that Queensland now allows you to break the speed limit and forget to indicate up to three times during your licence test, does it really surprise you that people can't overtake a bicycle?

add to that the whole log book palaver (see "fudging") so you don't have the pressure of taking a practical test... :rolleyes:

Ever see that Worst Driver reality show? Perfect sample of the general driving population that was incredible that they even existed, let alone that there were enough that were dumb enough to volunteer for such a show.
(ignoring that they were even on the road!)

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Average Intelligence isn't very bright.....and that is just the average, so you can imagine what drivers of below average intelligence might be like.

Also some people are just nasty, regardless of their brain power.

Its a shame isn't it, but this is what happens in a culture where car is king.

I think what often gets overlooked is the other damage done by car culture.....villages and communities bisected by roads, how often do you see people standing around chatting? They don't for two reasons, streets are unpleasant and noisy places to be plus people aren't around because they drive everywhere.

Also, look at what has happened to the shape of people now that they drive everywhere rather than walk, cycle, or use public transport which necessitates some walking...here in the UK the norm is noe for people to look like human Space Hoppers.

stutue said:
Average Intelligence isn't very bright.....and that is just the average, so you can imagine what drivers of below average intelligence might be like.

Also some people are just nasty, regardless of their brain power.

Its a shame isn't it, but this is what happens in a culture where car is king.

I think what often gets overlooked is the other damage done by car culture.....villages and communities bisected by roads, how often do you see people standing around chatting? They don't for two reasons, streets are unpleasant and noisy places to be plus people aren't around because they drive everywhere.

Also, look at what has happened to the shape of people now that they drive everywhere rather than walk, cycle, or use public transport which necessitates some walking...here in the UK the norm is noe for people to look like human Space Hoppers.

the predictions made of human evolution in the movies Idiocracy and Wall-E are looking to be rather accurate, no?

This morning's 11km commute = 3 near misses. 2 that pulled out of side streets without looking and 1 taxi that blared his horn and swerved across the lane at me... you gotta love Sydney drivers :rolleyes:

Archibald said:
the predictions made of human evolution in the movies Idiocracy and Wall-E are looking to be rather accurate, no?

This morning's 11km commute = 3 near misses. 2 that pulled out of side streets without looking and 1 taxi that blared his horn and swerved across the lane at me... you gotta love Sydney drivers :rolleyes:

Had a huge "right hook" this week. I was rolling to a (semi) stop at a four-way stop. Stupid, selfish, impatient, b!+ch in a black SUV rolls up from behind, alongside me, brushing my elbow, and then rolled through, turning right across my path. Fortunately, once she was alongside, I sensed the danger due to her oblivious behaviour and I slowed dramatically to be safe no matter what random and unpredictable move she might pull. But christ, what an arsehole.

winkybiker said:
Had a huge "right hook" this week. I was rolling to a (semi) stop at a four-way stop. Stupid, selfish, impatient, b!+ch in a black SUV rolls up from behind, alongside me, brushing my elbow, and then rolled through, turning right across my path. Fortunately, once she was alongside, I sensed the danger due to her oblivious behaviour and I slowed dramatically to be safe no matter what random and unpredictable move she might pull. But christ, what an arsehole.

SUVs and a particular group of drivers are a big issue

oldcrank said:

I've said for years that all learner drivers should have to do 3-6 months of riding bikes on roads

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I always find it strange that nobody mentions that the auto industry is in turbo mode to find ways for drivers not to look at the road. Devices like LCD screens and buttons on the steering wheel, indicators in the dash display, indicators on the windshield, flashing something in the the side view mirror, all kinds of computer assistance for parking, lane changes and on and on. Nobody talks about the simple act of paying fu--ing attention while behind the wheel.

Yes I love the concept of selecting a Pearl Jam song list on a dash mounted touch screen, just not while driving through a school zone or past a group of people on a bike ride. Texting and driving kills more people than drunk drivers do but the issue is glossed over because everybody is doing it. Lots of people are driving while not looking at the road...by design.

fatandfast said:
I always find it strange that nobody mentions that the auto industry is in turbo mode to find ways for drivers not to look at the road. Devices like LCD screens and buttons on the steering wheel, indicators in the dash display, indicators on the windshield, flashing something in the the side view mirror, all kinds of computer assistance for parking, lane changes and on and on. Nobody talks about the simple act of paying fu--ing attention while behind the wheel.

Yes I love the concept of selecting a Pearl Jam song list on a dash mounted touch screen, just not while driving through a school zone or past a group of people on a bike ride. Texting and driving kills more people than drunk drivers do but the issue is glossed over because everybody is doing it. Lots of people are driving while not looking at the road...by design.

I'm very mindful of the distraction that comes from selecting music on the screen when driving. I think it is a bit better than scrambling on the floor or through the glovebox for a cassette tape or CD, though.

TRENDING THREADS