• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
movingtarget said:
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s3986334.htm

This makes depressing viewing especially when you hear about charges to the drivers or lack thereof although one is claiming he blacked out which according to the evidence sounds implausible.
Also distressing that the Brisbane Police feel no action
(let alone criminal action) need be taken against their
officer who knowingly and willingly falsified an official
accident report where severe personal injury occurred.

oldcrank said:
Also distressing that the Brisbane Police feel no action
(let alone criminal action) need be taken against their
officer who knowingly and willingly falsified an official
accident report where severe personal injury occurred.

Yes, unbelievable. The only charge was "following too closely". I'll say.

This is the link to the police acknowledgment that they knowingly fabricated the injured's statement.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201404/r1264020_16957419.pdf

42x16ss said:
That's frightening - mostly because I lived and frequently trained in that area for several years :(

Brisbane is an absolutely appalling city in which to cycle. Terrible, terrible drivers. Fast and aggressive. Sometimes it seems worse than Sydney, and that's saying something. You see a LOT of sidewalk cycling in Brisbane. It's obvious why. I'd rather ride in Manila.

winkybiker said:
Brisbane is an absolutely appalling city in which to cycle. Terrible, terrible drivers. Fast and aggressive. Sometimes it seems worse than Sydney, and that's saying something. You see a LOT of sidewalk cycling in Brisbane. It's obvious why. I'd rather ride in Manila.
And the northern suburbs have some of the worst. Having said that, if you know where to go there are some wonderful places to train in Brisbane as well. Also the availability and standard of racing is second only to Melbourne (IMO anyway)

This one just got even better!!

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2225030/support-flows-for-texting-crash-victim/?cs=72

Defence counsel Tony Robinson said that in the time between the accident and this week’s court hearing Ms Davis was caught drink-driving (.07) and received an infringement notice when she drove her friends to the Gallery nightclub in Warrnambool.

He said she decided to drive that night because she thought she was going to lose her licence anyway because of the collision with the rider

if ever there was an need for Darwinism, this is it...

Archibald said:
This one just got even better!!

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2225030/support-flows-for-texting-crash-victim/?cs=72

if ever there was an need for Darwinism, this is it...

Do IQ scores actually go that low ? She is sub human and has no regard for others. I'm sure there is a South Park episode in here somewhere not because it's funny but because it just shows what others have to deal with. Moronic plus. She might be just as dangerous as a pedestrian that's if she actually stops driving which is no certainty. A piece of work.

movingtarget said:
Do IQ scores actually go that low ? She is sub human and has no regard for others. I'm sure there is a South Park episode in here somewhere not because it's funny but because it just shows what others have to deal with. Moronic plus. She might be just as dangerous as a pedestrian that's if she actually stops driving which is no certainty. A piece of work.
Even jail time barely slows down a bogan like her. Simply no concept of their actions or responsibility taken. Best part is, when types like this are held accountable, they turn on the waterworks and wail "Nanny State."

so sad some of these stories from oz.

In Ireland we are getting better, Dublin has some decent cycling infrastructure but drivers attitudes are mixed.

Taxis and people who use their cars quiet bit tend to drive with the you dont pay road tax attiude. Not understanding that they pay motor tax for the emissions from their engine. Lots of cyclists and I trained for a summer roads can be rough at times but found if you looked well kitted out good amount of drivers were respectable.

Also drivers are often chased up if caught from hit and runs and actually something is done.

manafana said:
so sad some of these stories from oz.

In Ireland we are getting better, Dublin has some decent cycling infrastructure but drivers attitudes are mixed.

Taxis and people who use their cars quiet bit tend to drive with the you dont pay road tax attiude. Not understanding that they pay motor tax for the emissions from their engine. Lots of cyclists and I trained for a summer roads can be rough at times but found if you looked well kitted out good amount of drivers were respectable.

Also drivers are often chased up if caught from hit and runs and actually something is done.

And what about people who just ride their bikes for regular reasons? Getting to school/work/wherever?

RedheadDane said:
And what about people who just ride their bikes for regular reasons? Getting to school/work/wherever?

I don't think it matters if you ride for sport, recreation, work or whatever - you are still often despised by many motorists you happen to impede - even for a few seconds. I am fortunate I live near a National park so use roads with light traffic to improve my odds or else ride very early to avoid the traffic. But I'd never consider commuting to work in rush hour traffic in Australia's major cities. Not worth it unless you have access to bike lanes - which is the exception usually. Also many bike lanes are designed for commuters or recreational cyclists - not anyone wanting to ride more than 30kph.

I think in Australia we are in the middle of a nadir is terms of levels of cyclist / motorist mutual respect.

In Australia over the past decade or so we have had high immigration and population growth rates by deveoped nation standards. Unfortunately our governments have not kept pace with the needed investment in transport infrastructure to support this population growth - new and better roads, public transport and especially rail (to take cars off the roads). As a result, traffic congestion has been rising rapdly - and when people lose time in traffic in rush hour they can also lose patience with anything that slows their progress - including cyclists.

I think the deterioration in respect towards cyclists in our country is symptomatic of these wider demographic issues.

None of this excuses the behavior of this woman - simply Neanderthalian. But nonetheless I am not surprised.

Whenever a news story is posted online or on talkback radio concerning cyclists there is seems a torrent of ill informed anto cyclist miopic opinions. 99% of the complaints are due to delays that can be measured in seconds rather than minutes. The same people don't froth at the mouth about huge trucks clogging major arterial roads during rush hour - but I think that is because trucks are bigger and not easy targets like cyclists are.

But as cyclists we can do small things to help change driver attitudes. Like never run a red light or on single lane roads, wave cars past when you can ses the road ahead is clear.

Now for your viewing "pleasure" get this story today ...

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...e-she-didnt-care/story-fnii5sms-1226886813516

Unbelievable :eek:

Cookster15 said:
I don't think it matters if you ride for sport, recreation, work or whatever - you are still often despised by many motorists you happen to impede - even for a few seconds.

Of course it shouldn't matter. But according to manafana's quote up there (especially the bits I bolded when quoting it in my previous post) drivers - at least in Ireland - only respect people when they're wearing actually cycling kit.
What if you're just wearing your regular clothes?

RedheadDane said:
Of course it shouldn't matter. But according to manafana's quote up there (especially the bits I bolded when quoting it in my previous post) drivers - at least in Ireland - only respect people when they're wearing actually cycling kit.
What if you're just wearing your regular clothes?

I'd have to disagree with manafana's quote as far as Australia is concerned. Here driver's don't give more respect just because you are "kitted out". In fact if anything I think it may just inflame the resentment with some drivers even more. Not only are you on "their" road, but you are wearing lycra and look fitter than they probably are.

Cookster15 said:
I'd have to disagree with manafana's quote as far as Australia is concerned. Here driver's don't give more respect just because you are "kitted out". In fact if anything I think it may just inflame the resentment with some drivers even more. Not only are you on "their" road, but you are wearing lycra and look fitter than they probably are.

I think there is a lot in that. I think that steel-cagers often look out to see cyclists enjoying themselves, cutting through traffic, saving money ($4000 carbon wheelsets notwithstanding), not polluting the planet (as much), exploring the world and even getting some exercise. I think in some, it makes them realise that they're not as conscientious, successful, active and adventurous as they might imagine/wish themselves to be. Resentment, jealousy? I don't know, but there is something happening there.

winkybiker said:
I think there is a lot in that. I think that steel-cagers often look out to see cyclists enjoying themselves, cutting through traffic, saving money ($4000 carbon wheelsets notwithstanding), not polluting the planet (as much), exploring the world and even getting some exercise. I think in some, it makes them realise that they're not as conscientious, successful, active and adventurous as they might imagine/wish themselves to be. Resentment, jealousy? I don't know, but there is something happening there.
I'm not sure that a lot of the people we are talking about in this thread have that depth of thought or emotion. Luckily, I've stumbled across some sources that describe too many Aus road users....

http://thingsboganslike.com/2011/03/07/217-driving-like-a-****ing-idiot/

http://thingsboganslike.com/2010/03/12/104-road-rage/

The first link is probably swear filtered but the "things bogans like" site is classic commentary :D For some of you in civilised countries, it might be a bit hard to understand but Australian ex pats will die laughing :D

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
The last two weeks here have been a bit of a goon show with traffic.

I got hit two weeks ago on a Sunday morning ride. Some clod decided the stop sign on his road was a suggestion, not a requirement. Ran it while making his left hand turn. Unfortunately I was making a left hand turn off the through road.

Hood ornament. He didn't stop, just kept going.

The runs to and from work have been crazy, worse then i have ever known in this town. Getting buzzed by transit busses, people wanting to "share" the bike lane while making right hand turns, F350's with the huge side mirrors getting way too close to me left ear for my liking ...

And this afternoon on the way home, in the rain, every single block I had people blocking the bike lane trying to turn onto the road, or off the road, or just make right hand turns. Every one of them forced me into traffic to get around them and then I get the blaring horns.

I can't figure out if there is a full moon coming or something but it has definitely got worse.

purcell said:
The last two weeks here have been a bit of a goon show with traffic.

I got hit two weeks ago on a Sunday morning ride. Some clod decided the stop sign on his road was a suggestion, not a requirement. Ran it while making his left hand turn. Unfortunately I was making a left hand turn off the through road.

Hood ornament. He didn't stop, just kept going.

The runs to and from work have been crazy, worse then i have ever known in this town. Getting buzzed by transit busses, people wanting to "share" the bike lane while making right hand turns, F350's with the huge side mirrors getting way too close to me left ear for my liking ...

And this afternoon on the way home, in the rain, every single block I had people blocking the bike lane trying to turn onto the road, or off the road, or just make right hand turns. Every one of them forced me into traffic to get around them and then I get the blaring horns.

I can't figure out if there is a full moon coming or something but it has definitely got worse.

Where are you riding? Can't say I've noticed the same trend here in Vancouver. Just the usual suspects. Haven't actually been right-hooked in a while. Had a stop-sign runner come after me last week, but I know the intersection and expect the usual complete disregard for my right-of-way so was well clear.

Current major irritation is the illegally off-leash dogs on the short section of shared bike/foot/paw/stoller path. Last night, a little yappy thing was running backwards and forwards randomly across the path. I just stopped and relaxed along the top tube with forearms resting on the tops in accordance with the recommended stance as stipulated in "The Rules". "The ride will begin (again) soon enough". No stress. The cell-phone-attached owner was eventually apologetic, I guess. It will be the dog I don't see that will bring me down.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
winkybiker said:
Where are you riding? Can't say I've noticed the same trend here in Vancouver. Just the usual suspects. Haven't actually been right-hooked in a while. Had a stop-sign runner come after me last week, but I know the intersection and expect the usual complete disregard for my right-of-way so was well clear.

Current major irritation is the illegally off-leash dogs on the short section of shared bike/foot/paw/stoller path. Last night, a little yappy thing was running backwards and forwards randomly across the path. I just stopped and relaxed along the top tube with forearms resting on the tops in accordance with the recommended stance as stipulated in "The Rules". "The ride will begin (again) soon enough". No stress. The cell-phone-attached owner was eventually apologetic, I guess. It will be the dog I don't see that will bring me down.

Just east of you, on the shores of a big lake. Usually the riding here is very good and the drivers are sane. This last little while though .....

Here in Northern VA, people are hardly ever respectful of cyclist. They don't seem to understand that by law they must share the road. There is the usual yelling, "get on the sidewalk" horn honking, diesel exhaust in the face. Sometimes it's a little worse, people cutting me off, getting real close, on a couple of occasions hitting me. One fellow was traveling at the speed limit of 45 mph and the passenger opened his left car door trying to hit me....luckily I had room to swerve and missed getting hit. People really can be stupid. They seem genuinely offended that I'm on the road. What do you do....:confused: I personally just hope I don't get killed! It also makes me grateful that I haven't had an incident like Rhumroma or anything....I definitely feel for him....

Then besides all the zombies out there, there is animals to watch out for! A couple of months ago I was hit by a dog, fell into the road, cracked my helmet all the way through (always wear a helmet!), sprained my neck, cut up my arms - nearly got hit by a dump truck (he skidded, slamming on his emergency brake.) I wasn't hurt to badly (was only traveling around 25mph), but the close call sure did scare me! Stupid dog was loose, owners weren't home. Anyways....things can be crazy at times....I guess you really have to love riding to do it. :D

All the experiences - good and bad. Can't be surpassed doing any other sort of activity. :)

From the Independant, words fail me

A Canadian woman who ran over and killed a teenager is suing the dead boy for “emotional trauma”.

17-year-old Brandon Majewski was cycling with two friends along Innisfil Beach Road in Alcona, Toronto, at around 1.30am on 28 October 2012 when he was struck from behind by an SUV and killed.

The driver of the vehicle, 42-year-old Sharlene Simon, has announced she is suing Brandon for the stress she has suffered since the incident, the Toronto Sun reported.

She is also suing the other boys involved in the accident, as well as the dead boy’s parents and his brother, who has since died.

The family’s lawyer Brian Cameron told the Toronto Sun: “In all of my years as a lawyer, I have never seen anyone ever sue a child that they killed.

“It’s beyond the pale. I just couldn’t bring myself to tell them on the phone.”

Brandon’s mother Venetta Mlynczyk said: “I’m devastated, I’m in shock.

“She killed my child and now she wants to profit from it? She says she’s in pain? Tell her to look inside my head and she will see pain, she will see panic, she will see nightmares.”

A statement of claim filed with the court shows that Simon is claiming $1.35 million (£803,000) in damages on account of her “sustained serious and permanent injuries to important physical, mental and psychological functions” following the incident.

She also blames the boys for negligence. According to the Toronto Sun, the claim states that the three young men were “incompetent bicyclists”.

Simon is also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

According to a South Simcoe Police report, Simon admitted to driving at 90km/h in an 80km/h zone on the two lane road. She said she did not see the boys before the collision, which cracked the windshield of her car, dented the bumper and broke a headlight.

The roof was dented and scratched from where it struck Brandon and a side mirror was knocked loose.

Simon’s husband was driving behind her on the night of the accident. He pulled over and shortly after drove his wife home in his own car.

Brandon died in hospital from multiple traumatic injuries.

Richard McLean, 16, was seriously injured, while 16-year-old Jake Roberts was knocked from his bike but came away with only scratches.

Mr Cameron has filed a routine lawsuit against the driver. He alleges Simon was speeding and may have been drunk or using her mobile phone.

None of the allegations have been tested in court.

Swifty's Cakes said:
From the Independant, words fail me

A Canadian woman who ran over and killed a teenager is suing the dead boy for “emotional trauma”.

17-year-old Brandon Majewski was cycling with two friends along Innisfil Beach Road in Alcona, Toronto, at around 1.30am on 28 October 2012 when he was struck from behind by an SUV and killed.

The driver of the vehicle, 42-year-old Sharlene Simon, has announced she is suing Brandon for the stress she has suffered since the incident, the Toronto Sun reported.

She is also suing the other boys involved in the accident, as well as the dead boy’s parents and his brother, who has since died.

The family’s lawyer Brian Cameron told the Toronto Sun: “In all of my years as a lawyer, I have never seen anyone ever sue a child that they killed.

“It’s beyond the pale. I just couldn’t bring myself to tell them on the phone.”

Brandon’s mother Venetta Mlynczyk said: “I’m devastated, I’m in shock.

“She killed my child and now she wants to profit from it? She says she’s in pain? Tell her to look inside my head and she will see pain, she will see panic, she will see nightmares.”

A statement of claim filed with the court shows that Simon is claiming $1.35 million (£803,000) in damages on account of her “sustained serious and permanent injuries to important physical, mental and psychological functions” following the incident.

She also blames the boys for negligence. According to the Toronto Sun, the claim states that the three young men were “incompetent bicyclists”.

Simon is also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

According to a South Simcoe Police report, Simon admitted to driving at 90km/h in an 80km/h zone on the two lane road. She said she did not see the boys before the collision, which cracked the windshield of her car, dented the bumper and broke a headlight.

The roof was dented and scratched from where it struck Brandon and a side mirror was knocked loose.

Simon’s husband was driving behind her on the night of the accident. He pulled over and shortly after drove his wife home in his own car.

Brandon died in hospital from multiple traumatic injuries.

Richard McLean, 16, was seriously injured, while 16-year-old Jake Roberts was knocked from his bike but came away with only scratches.

Mr Cameron has filed a routine lawsuit against the driver. He alleges Simon was speeding and may have been drunk or using her mobile phone.

None of the allegations have been tested in court.

That is just sick. A blood sucking leach with no moral fibre to her body. Says a lot about some of the people in society we unfortunately share the roads with.