• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Another fatal SMIDSY. Hope it doesn't result in another slap-on-wrist Whoopsie.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-killed-after-being-struck-by-car-in-shellharbour-20161018-gs4sk8.html

"At this stage there is nothing that we're aware of that contributed directly to the accident from the driver's driving," Superintendent Dzevlan said.

"We have a lot of messages about being careful [on the road] when it's wet, but we also need to be mindful that when the sun's coming straight into our faces that we need to be careful of how we drive and what's around us at the time ... just drive safe."

Stingray34 said:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-killed-after-being-struck-by-car-in-shellharbour-20161018-gs4sk8.html

"At this stage there is nothing that we're aware of that contributed directly to the accident from the driver's driving," Superintendent Dzevlan said.

"We have a lot of messages about being careful [on the road] when it's wet, but we also need to be mindful that when the sun's coming straight into our faces that we need to be careful of how we drive and what's around us at the time ... just drive safe."

He seems to think he can say that the sun was in his eyes and that is a valid excuse. Sun visors, sun glasses ? Smells like bullsheet to me. Probably on the phone.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Stingray34 said:

He seems to think he can say that the sun was in his eyes and that is a valid excuse. Sun visors, sun glasses ? Smells like ****** to me. Probably on the phone.

That's right: the Super's words are quite chilling in this regard - "nothing that contributed to the accident viz driver's driving."

Really, running over someone and killing them isn't negligent enough for you, Mr Plod?

"Sun in your eyes? Oh OK, I get it, nope not your fault. Dumb cyclist."

Stingray34 said:

Those two bits seems pretty mutually exclusive to me. Surely, if you're not driving according to the conditions is a directly contributing factor to accidents? :confused:

RedheadDane said:
Stingray34 said:

Those two bits seems pretty mutually exclusive to me. Surely, if you're not driving according to the conditions is a directly contributing factor to accidents? :confused:

Agree. It seems that Superintendent Dzevlan thinks it's OK to keep driving your car when you can't see where you're going. The article also mentions that speed wasn't a factor. What, the car was stationary when it ran the cyclist down? Speed is ALWAYS a factor. Vehicles at rest don't collide with each other.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/cyclist-killed-in-richmond-accident

A tragedy close to home this time. It's a road I've ridden dozens of times with my club. At least they were "wearing their helmets". Helmets are apparently required to deflect victim-blaming. They have been only partially successful in this case. No shortage of victim blaming and general hatred of cyclists in the comments. Vancouver Sun should close comments on stories like this.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Who was here asking about 'ghost bikes'? There's one in the picture heading the article...

As for the article...
"According to Mr. Maldonado’s lawyer, Howard Kirsch, Mr. Maldonado is a crane operator who has lived in Brooklyn his entire life. He lives with his mother and cares for her, Mr. Kirsch said."
Objection, Your Honour... Relevance...

Meanwhile... corrected edition;
"Mr. von Ohlen was one of at least 17 cyclists killed in traffic accidents this year. The deaths — about half of which have occurred in Brooklyn — have concerned transportation advocates and renewed calls for improvements in driver attitude and behaviour."

Mrs 42x16ss did a triathlon just south of the Gold Coast this morning where a few cars managed to get on the closed course where they were promptly stopped by police.

One special little snowflake was quite talkative and in such a rush, he had to leave with some personal police assistance ;)

The locals only had 8 weeks notice, TBF :rolleyes:

Re:

42x16ss said:
Mrs 42x16ss did a triathlon just south of the Gold Coast this morning where a few cars managed to get on the closed course where they were promptly stopped by police.

One special little snowflake was quite talkative and in such a rush, he had to leave with some personal police assistance ;)

The locals only had 8 weeks notice, TBF :rolleyes:

A snowflake meltdown ! Poor wittle snowflake.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Archibald said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Archibald said:
article is behind a paywall
interesting - i'm not a subscriber and can access it

try this one: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/aa7c1e6af66250347d3be15c158b4e2e
same problem, behind a premium user paywall
that's nuts. I found both by just googling, and could see with no problem - BUT, I click on the above links and can't view them either... :mad:

Archibald said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Archibald said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Archibald said:
article is behind a paywall
interesting - i'm not a subscriber and can access it

try this one: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/aa7c1e6af66250347d3be15c158b4e2e
same problem, behind a premium user paywall
that's nuts. I found both by just googling, and could see with no problem - BUT, I click on the above links and can't view them either... :mad:

Yeah you have to come in from a google search to bypass the paywall. The link won't work. Google "Rohan Dennis Adelaide cycling" or similar.

God, the comments make depressing reading. I'll never return to 'straya. I can't stand the hatred.

Thanks. Have seen it now. Best not to bother reading comments, especially in News Corp media.

This morning I hear a DHL truck ran into the back of a group of riders on Southern Cross Drive Sydney. 3 injured, not seriously fortunately. At least that's what my FB feed tells me.

15241231_10153895422386205_5408151419587761077_n.jpg

15253551_10153895422466205_8398064017667192596_n.jpg

15267632_10153895422306205_6613593396778972859_n.jpg

15230835_10153895422301205_5657637239568184179_n.jpg

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Thanks. Have seen it now. Best not to bother reading comments, especially in News Corp media.

This morning I hear a DHL truck ran into the back of a group of riders on Southern Cross Drive Sydney. 3 injured, not seriously fortunately. At least that's what my FB feed tells me.

15241231_10153895422386205_5408151419587761077_n.jpg

15253551_10153895422466205_8398064017667192596_n.jpg

15267632_10153895422306205_6613593396778972859_n.jpg

15230835_10153895422301205_5657637239568184179_n.jpg

I'll assume that they were all fined for not having bells. There's no way I'm reading any comments on this. Just to too depressing.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-...-cross-drive-truck-crash-20161204-gt3xmm.html
The full story including "The group had been on the road for about 15 minutes and were cycling southbound on Southern Cross Drive in Eastlakes when a truck ran into the back of them, leaving two of the riders in hospital with serious injuries.

Mr Long, 55, told Fairfax Media he was riding second to last in the group, which was travelling two abreast. He was chatting with the rider next to him when suddenly he heard the beep of a horn and a sickening crunch.

He was picked up and thrown to the ground, falling hard on his left-hand side. The fall left him with seven broken ribs, a broken collarbone, a punctured lung, a bruised pelvis and a damaged spleen."

and, "The crash site is "exactly opposite" the site of another serious crash involving cyclists from the same club two years ago. In that crash in March 2014, seven cyclists were left with injuries ranging from abrasions to serious spinal fractures when a 28-year-old Sydney man crashed his SUV into them in Southern Cross Drive's city-bound lanes."

TRENDING THREADS