• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Drugs in rugby

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This doesn't surprise me at all. My mate thought it was just creatine or something similar, if you look at a lot of the rugby players notice how big their jaws/chins are.

Lets not get into how lucky most players probably are that there isn't much testing for recreational drugs

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Decision:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6760

Release:
UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) has today confirmed that rugby union player Oliver Bilton (21) has been suspended from all sport for two years following an anti-doping rule violation.

Mr Bilton, who plays for Cardiff Met RFC, a university team in the Welsh Rugby Union National Championships and BUCS Premier South League, tested positive for Oxandrolone and metabolite Epioxandrolone, an exogenous anabolic androgenic steroid. The positive finding followed an in-competition test on 13 December 2014 after a SWALEC Championship match between Cardiff Met RFC and Narbeth RFC.

Mr Bilton, who is studying Sport and Exercise Science at Cardiff Metropolian University, claims to have ingested the Prohibited Substances through his use of sports supplements.

The player is banned from all competition from 13 December 2014 midnight on 12 December 2016. The full written decision can be found under current rule violations.

UKAD’s Chief Executive Nicole Sapstead said:

“Oliver Bilton’s case highlights that supplements that have not been batch tested are a huge risk to an athlete’s future as jeopardised his playing career and potentially his working career in sport as well.

“We work closely with BUCS and the WRU, to ensure athletes are aware of the risks of using supplements and to help them make the right choices.

2 years backdated to the date of sample collection. About the best possible result for the athlete was obtained.

Cardiff Met, who I believe share the same gym as Cardiff Blues

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

gazr99 said:
This doesn't surprise me at all. My mate thought it was just creatine or something similar, if you look at a lot of the rugby players notice how big their jaws/chins are.

Lets not get into how lucky most players probably are that there isn't much testing for recreational drugs

and brows, simian brows... but dont get into this, this is too much phrenology for people to handle.

UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) has today confirmed that a Welsh rugby league player, Paul Songhurst, from Bridgend South Wales, has been suspended from all sport for four years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.

Songhurst (24), who plays for South Wales Scorpions in the Kingstone Press League, tested positive for an exogenous anabolic androgenic steroid, drostanolone, following an out-of-competition test at a club training session on 23 February 2015.

Press Release:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/rugby-league-player-paul-songhurst-banned-for-four-years/

Full decision:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6803

Link is now working

*le sigh*

Key points, he admitted but claimed supplement contamination.
The UKAD side pointed out:

We note that drostanolone is a steroid that is potentially of use to sportsmen and that it normally enters the body by intra-muscular injection, that it is not normally digested orally, and that if it was so ingested, it would rapidly be de-activated by the liver and would then cease to appear in a urine sample.

so that doesn't wash at all

When will they start doing doping tests on under 14/15s. I was watching Somerset u14 vs Dorset and wilts u14 a couple of months ago as they were playing at the Rec and they were all monsters! What have their coaches been supplying them?! They're 6 foot+ tall and weigh at least 75 or 80kg, all muscle. I'm 5' 6.5" and 50kg and their age. I know I'm small but they're ridiculous. Two of my friends play for them, and both of them are big but not that big. When a 14 yo has biceps larger than James Haskells then you start asking questions.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
When will they start doing doping tests on under 14/15s. I was watching Somerset u14 vs Dorset and wilts u14 a couple of months ago as they were playing at the Rec and they were all monsters! What have their coaches been supplying them?! They're 6 foot+ tall and weigh at least 75 or 80kg, all muscle. I'm 5' 6.5" and 50kg and their age. I know I'm small but they're ridiculous. Two of my friends play for them, and both of them are big but not that big. When a 14 yo has biceps larger than James Haskells then you start asking questions.

i actually think that can be natural as an outlier. this person's physique might round out to 200cm and 100kg at 18, with some puppy fat.

They did some tests in South Africa on school rugby.

Steroid abuse was sadly very common.

I am not aware of UKAD position on school aged kids outside of the national testing pool. (Such as the cycling academy kids).

A quick check shows they follow the WADA protocols in regards to testing and minors.

They can do it, but there needs to be an adult around, not necessarily a parent, when thy start the process and at various steps along the way.

I have little doubt based on evidence from elsewhere that steroid abuse starts early (ie as a teen) in rugby.

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
Don't let Haskell (better known as "The Brand") know that there's a 14 year old with bigger guns than him.............he'll undoubtedly seek them out and DOMINATE them !

Re: Re:

blackcat said:
Brullnux said:

i actually think that can be natural as an outlier. this person's physique might round out to 200cm and 100kg at 18, with some puppy fat.
Maybe one, but not 15 of them. They had no fat though. Just muscle, and looked, to an untrained eye, like steroid use.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
They did some tests in South Africa on school rugby.

Steroid abuse was sadly very common.

I am not aware of UKAD position on school aged kids outside of the national testing pool. (Such as the cycling academy kids).
yeah, just like in American with football.

and people are fundamentally the same in this western lens sports culture. if they dope in highschool there, they will dope here. may not be today or tomorrow, but a leg in play. and women, not just men.

Re: Re:

wansteadimp said:
42x16ss said:
Benotti69 said:
Funny.

Big huge rugby guy calls cops...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-leagues-leigh-centurions-complain-6201429#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Bet Rugby is happy IAAF are making doping news
For sure. It is a World Cup year after all.

Next Rugby League World Cup is 2017.
Meh. That's tiny stuff, a dying sport that's only played in two Australian states and by Rugby rejects across NZ, England and a few other Commonwealth nations.

UKAD appointed as the test agency for the Rugby World Cup.

There will be many many IC tests, but I very much doubt any positives as that is not when you would be taking steroids* which is the key thing in bulking up.

*there is a small chance I guess someone needs a recovery boost between matches.

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I think the comment was just that the dude in the article posted is a League player, not Union. Not sure such specificity really takes away from the original point, but there you go.

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Leigh Centurians player get 2 year ban for GHRP6, which I assume is growth hormone, not looked into it yet. More to come on this story too....

As the appeal period has passed now, this is the player Chipist mentioned

UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) today confirmed that former Wales international rugby league player Sean Penkywicz (33) has been suspended from all sport for two years following an anti-doping rule violation.

http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/former-wales-international-rugby-league-player-banned-for-two-years/

They went back and reanalysed the sample for GHRP-6, after the initial screening.

Full decision:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6846

After asking for the B sample confirmation, he admitted the violation. As the sample was collected in Dec 2014, its a 2 year ban under the rules active at that time.

UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) today confirmed that Welsh rugby union player, Ben Murphy, has been suspended from all sport for six months following an anti-doping rule violation.

Murphy (19) who was registered to Merthyr RFC, tested positive for the presence of 1, 3-dimethylbutylamine (DMBA), following an in-competition test on 7 March 2015. The test took place after a match against Bridgend Athletic RFC in the SWALEC Championship.

The substance was believed to have been in a supplement which Murphy had been using. As a result, Murphy is banned from all sport from 7 March 2015 to midnight on 6 September 2015.

http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/welsh-rugby-union-player-ben-murphy-banned-for-six-months/

Full decision:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6853

I have some sympathy with the player in this case, in that he did take some steps to try to ensure the supplement he was taking did not contain a prohibited substance, but there is a lot of evidence that many, many supplements do not contain only what is on the label.
(There is also the risk of deliberate doping of a container of supplement, and using that as 'evidence' to get a lighter ban if ever caught)

I personally feel 6 months is a little light, but the 2015 code does make this sort of ban more likely than the previous code.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
45 UK drugs bans:

16 rugby union
12 rugby league

boxing 6
weightlifting 3
track & field 3
cycling 2
ice hockey 2
bobsleigh 1
other 2

No doping problem in Rugby, none whatsoever!