• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars door Vlaanderen - coming soon (March 31)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Mathieu van der Poel win Dwars door Vlaanderen 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In cycling this is certainly possible. But Merlier doesn't strike me as the type who would do that. And Mathieu is not very good at hiding when he has the legs. So if I had to guess I would say it is true.

But who knows, it could be a big scheme to drive WvA in the nr 1 contender position.

Well, it's not like Mathieu will suddenly have the freedom of Jordi Warlop or Pieter Vanspeybrouck just because he did not appear to be on top today, so I struggle to see what it would accomplish.

"Merlier in the Belgian press: Mathieu told me he was not ok. At first I thaught he was joking but he wasn't. So from that moment we rode for me. "

So, Kirby was right! and

"Kirby is a giant idiot if he didn't see MVDP was training / working for Merlier. " isn't wearing so well.

leaving out the following statement. It was the first really "hot" day, and Merlier also mentioned a lot of riders in the peloton were complaining about this first unseasonably hot day. With the sudden hot weather a lot of riders have trouble, and Merlier speculated it could have played a role.

Flanders it will be 10 degrees colder again than it was today.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lampaert's reaction on the offday of DQS:

I didn't feel good today. I only found my legs after the Trieu. The heat was a shock for my body after last sunday. A lot of riders suffered from it.

I was too far down at the Stationsberg and was blocked two times behind a crash. Asgreen crashed as well, Ballerini seems to be over his top form
(so I guess no Ballerini in the team for the Ronde) and Alaphilippe had a bad day.

Lampaert's reaction on the offday of DQS:

I didn't feel good today. I only found my legs after the Trieu. The heat was a shock for my body after last sunday. A lot of riders suffered from it.

I was too far down at the Stationsberg and was blocked two times behind a crash. Asgreen crashed as well, Ballerini seems to be over his top form
(so I guess no Ballerini in the team for the Ronde) and Alaphilippe had a bad day.

Says something about a team's general aptitude for a certain type of racing, when a 4th place is considered an "offday".

• Wow
I already thought MvdP wouldn't shine today as it seems he can't take the heat (literally) very well.
Is there one race he did well on a very hot day? I can't remember but maybe there is.

Great win by Van Baarle. I had a hard time understanding the tactics in the chase group, but one thing is sure: if the first guy on the road (Van Baarle, Asgreen in E3) is very strong, it has a strong impact (mentally) on the chase.

I already thought MvdP wouldn't shine today as it seems he can't take the heat (literally) very well.
Is there one race he did well on a very hot day? I can't remember but maybe there is.

Great win by Van Baarle. I had a hard time understanding the tactics in the chase group, but one thing is sure: if the first guy on the road (Van Baarle, Asgreen in E3) is very strong, it has a strong impact (mentally) on the chase.
Wasn't it pretty warm the day he won AGR?

That 2nd group seemed to me to have decided they were’ t going to go too deep to make the catch unless Van Baarle showed clear signs of cracking. At one point when Greg rotated to the front he was chatting and laughing with the adjacent rider. We usually don’t see that when a group has really switched “on” to chase.

I don't think neither Van der Poel or Alaphilippe had a good day but for MVDP is more concerning due to the him having a worst team and he doesn't like to hide whatever the race he competes in.

Van Aert is looking like the number 1 favourite for de Ronde, I would say.

Good win for Van Baarle today, dangerous outsider together with Asgreen.

I don't think neither Van der Poel or Alaphilippe had a good day but for MVDP is more concerning due to the him having a worst team and he doesn't like to hide whatever the race he competes in.

Van Aert is looking like the number 1 favourite for de Ronde, I would say.

Good win for Van Baarle today, dangerous outsider together with Asgreen.
Mathieu isn't often off his game, but when he is, it's more easily a bad day. I wouldn't really draw too many conclusions from one bad day. He could flip the switch back to dominator mode by sunday. We've seen this in Cyclocross too often, once or twice per season he's not good and immediately he's much worse than expected... then 5 days later he's back on his moped.

he destroyed Schurter in some really hot weather in MTB. Multiple times btw.

I don't think he is really effected by weather unless it's really really cold and rainy in fact...

Reactions: Volderke

TRENDING THREADS