• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Best EF rider in each recent WT race (except MSR):
Catalunya: 26th (as of stage 3)
Classic Brugge-De Panne: 20th
Paris-Nice: 40th
Tirreno Adriatico: 40th
Strade Bianche: 12th
UAE Tour: 20th
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: 54th

Man, without Bettiol they would be totally pathetic this spring. After a decent 2023, relatively good last transfer window and a good start to 2024 in Mallorca, I didn't expect such a calamity. :(

Good to see Van den Berg winning in Catalunya because otherwise it would look stupid to send the team's only decent sprinter to a stage race with just 1-2 sprint opportunities when they have nobody for sprinter-friendly classics like Brugge-De Panne that take place at the same time.
And they come away with a WT victory that they weren't going to get at Brugge-De Panne.

So what I thought was silly, looks like a stroke of genius.

Well done these past 8 days with two wins.

A year ago they had 13 victories by the end of March. This year they are now on 5.
They've been pretty close a few times, I'm especially excited about Bettiol's return to form. I missed Ryan's top placing -- high hopes for him.

I'm a little concerned with Powless, though. Not sure if his training is correct or if he's sick, but I thought he'd do well in T-A and Strade Bianche. Hoping Healy can pull off a classics win, although he showed his hand last year so it's going to hard to get riders to work with him in a break or late attack...

Reactions: Sandisfan
They've been pretty close a few times, I'm especially excited about Bettiol's return to form. I missed Ryan's top placing -- high hopes for him.

I'm a little concerned with Powless, though. Not sure if his training is correct or if he's sick, but I thought he'd do well in T-A and Strade Bianche. Hoping Healy can pull off a classics win, although he showed his hand last year so it's going to hard to get riders to work with him in a break or late attack...

I read or heard Powless hurt his knee at T-A.

I agree with you about Healey. Now he's clearly a strong opponent instead of a relatively unknown quantity.

Last two weeks have been the whole Bettiol experience at its finest.
Fantastic legs, crashes, not feeling the chain, cramps, a solo win you still talk about with your friends, doubts, dreams...

He's honestly the only rider I could see challenge Van der Poel on Sunday even in case it becomes a race of brute force. But he could DNF without ever being shown on TV and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. It's absurd.

If the cramp was because he (or the team) are not staying on top of his electrolytes and hydration, we can hope this happening today will get him prepared so it won’t happen Sunday.
Tbf, he has a cronic disease, so I don't know how much that plays a part.
But yeah, if they managed to get this under control he could be even better. Not the first time he's having them either (Olympic RR, 2020 Strade Bianche, that TDU stage...)

Tbf, he has a cronic disease, so I don't know how much that plays a part.
But yeah, if they managed to get this under control he could be even better. Not the first time he's having them either (Olympic RR, 2020 Strade Bianche, that TDU stage...)
The frequency with which this happens makes me think that this is 100% related to his intestinal issues. Gut inflammation -- > reduced nutrient absorbtion --> cramps is a logical chain, though I have no proof other than my guesswork.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
That's a pretty solid lineup. Sweeny or Doull in the break, maybe, then just see how things develop. I was also happy to see Valgren competitive again.
It’s all about Bettiol for EF, though I hope they can get at least one rider in one of the earlier front groups who could then provide support for Bettiol when the group is caught. But by that point in the race it probably won’t matter much—it will be simply be a matter of whether Bettiol has the legs to stay with the MVDP group (at last for while) or he doesn’t.