• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
jens_attacks said:
With last years giro form, he still would have won that 2012 giro

Stars alligned for him but no fluke.
Debateable, but I tend to agree. Scarponi and Basso waited all Giro for those uber hard Dolomiti-stages and weren't able to shake a super peak Hesjedal 3 week, rather the opposite, since they at that point were past their prime. It became obvious that week. Bring on a 2010 Basso or 2010 or 2011 Scarponi, heck any version of Nibali from 2010-2015, and it woulda been different. Rodriguez was strong, but fortunately for Hesjedal, not that smart.
Even 2011 Rujano would have been very interesting for that Giro and Pozzovivo in his Giro del Trentino peak shape could have won the 2012 Giro.

Re: Cannondale Pro Cycling

Zinoviev Letter said:
yaco said:
Can definitely win stages with this team - Anyway a stage win in a GT = success.
at

Yes that team can win stages, although it is not clear how much they will be let off the leash if Uran is competitive in GC.

More importantly, while a stage win normally makes a GT a success for a team, Cannondale have put a lot of eggs in the Giro basket. To be a "success", this Giro will have to go a long way towards rescuing their season. Uran on the podium or more than one stage win or better still both, would constitute real success.

Put it another way - A WT team fails if it doesn't win a stage in a GT - Team may have high hopes for GC but your GC rider falls and is injured, gets ill etc,etc and that's the end of GC - Cannondale Garmin only has an average squad - Your expectations are too high.

yaco said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
yaco said:
Can definitely win stages with this team - Anyway a stage win in a GT = success.
at

Yes that team can win stages, although it is not clear how much they will be let off the leash if Uran is competitive in GC.

More importantly, while a stage win normally makes a GT a success for a team, Cannondale have put a lot of eggs in the Giro basket. To be a "success", this Giro will have to go a long way towards rescuing their season. Uran on the podium or more than one stage win or better still both, would constitute real success.

Put it another way - A WT team fails if it doesn't win a stage in a GT - Team may have high hopes for GC but your GC rider falls and is injured, gets ill etc,etc and that's the end of GC - Cannondale Garmin only has an average squad - Your expectations are too high.

My expectations are not too high.

When a team has signed a rider who has come second in the Giro twice in recent years, has made it clear that they signed him to lead at the Giro, and has provided him with a much better support squad than he has previously had in the Giro, of course expectations are higher than winning a random stage.

Even more so when the team leaders have in general failed to feature prominently in races so far this year. Cannondale need to perform at the Giro. It's the whole reason they signed Uran and it's where they are sending most of their best GT riders.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

jahn said:
They have the best website though. Love the portrait art for each rider on the plates. The artist wisely drew them with a slightly more dignified and serious facial expressions from the photo it's based off of, great stuff.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/cannondale-garmin-pro-team/
The portraits are made of real food by an Instagram user: https://www.instagram.com/pedalstrike/

Food art? Now you only need to throw in a couple of cats and you've got the epitome of Instagram.

Really disappointing end of the Ardennes campaign for Cannondale. No top10s and only one top20 in 3 races. Sad for a team that had one of the strongest rosters for this kind of races not so long ago and even from the press releases from the team it seemed like they were coming to the Ardennes with some hope this year.

On a positive note: Howes finished 21st and was up there in the final kilometers. Probably his best ever performance in Ardennes. I didn't see that coming based on his pre-Ardennes form this year, although he was good at Amstel actually. I was curious who was this Cannondale rider who lasted the longest from the team today because I couldn't recognise him during the race and I found myself rather surprised that it was him when I checked the results. Too bad that none of the more capable riders from the team had such a good day like him.

I have an impression that Cannondale participate in little races outside of WT this year, especially as for full, 30-men roster.

As for late April, they don't race anything. Croatia, Turkey, Yorkshire, Trentino they're not there. They also didn't race much earlier in the year. They didn't ride any of those Middle-East races, neither Herald Sun Tour, Ruta Del Sol nor any of those continental cobbled one day races nor Strade Bianche nor Circuit Cycliste Sarthe which they used to ride in recent years. I know they can't participate in all af them, but it seems strange they didn't race in at least one or two races I mentioned.

I've tried to do some research if Cannondale racing little is anything but my impression and I've found this:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics.php?stat_id=111

They're not dead last among WT teams, but Lampre, Trek and both Lottos have no more than 27 riders each, so yes, my impression was right that they race little this year.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Anderis said:
I have an impression that Cannondale participate in little races outside of WT this year, especially as for full, 30-men roster.

As for late April, they don't race anything. Croatia, Turkey, Yorkshire, Trentino they're not there. They also didn't race much earlier in the year. They didn't ride any of those Middle-East races, neither Herald Sun Tour, Ruta Del Sol nor any of those continental cobbled one day races nor Strade Bianche nor Circuit Cycliste Sarthe which they used to ride in recent years. I know they can't participate in all af them, but it seems strange they didn't race in at least one or two races I mentioned.

I've tried to do some research if Cannondale racing little is anything but my impression and I've found this:

They're not dead last among WT teams, but Lampre, Trek and both Lottos have no more than 27 riders each, so yes, my impression was right that they race little this year.
Any reason? Perhaps not being invited?

CheckMyPecs said:
I don't think that is the case? There are many continental races with just 2, 3, 4 WT teams, surely organisers would welcome Cannondale in most of these races if they wanted to participate? :confused:

Rolland said in recent interview that his approach has changed at Cannondale to race less and train more. Maybe that's the general method they've implemented for this year? Doesn't seem to work well for most riders anyway.

It's interesting, that most of the bright points of the team this year are riders who've joined this year. If the rest of the team performed like that compared to their actual potential, the results would look much better IMO. It seems that they've screwed something training-wise in 2015 and now they're struggling to recover, but riders hired for 2016 are doing fine.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Anderis said:
CheckMyPecs said:
I don't think that is the case? There are many continental races with just 2, 3, 4 WT teams, surely organisers would welcome Cannondale in most of these races if they wanted to participate? :confused:

Rolland said in recent interview that his approach has changed at Cannondale to race less and train more. Maybe that's the general method they've implemented for this year? Doesn't seem to work well for most riders anyway.

It's interesting, that most of the bright points of the team this year are riders who've joined this year. If the rest of the team performed like that compared to their actual potential, the results would look much better IMO. It seems that they've screwed something training-wise in 2015 and now they're struggling to recover, but riders hired for 2016 are doing fine.
Interesting. If so, let's hope they realise soon and start making the necessary changes.

Anderis said:

OGE basically didn't race in february, ouside of the Herald Sun Tour and the first of the Belgian races on February 27 - Seems that riders are entered in less races.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty curious about Uran in Romandie, I don't have high expectations when it comes to the gc, he finished 14th in 2014, but the ITT should show us if his TT-skills are as good as they used to be.
Cannondale could have a really good Giro and the made the right choice, their best gc rider got most of the climbing domestiques.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Uran to lead Cannondale Pro Cycling Team at Romandie

It's another spring classics season completed as the sport transitions from one-day races to stage-racing. Up next for the Cannondale Pro Cycling Team is the Tour de Romandie, followed closely by the Giro d’Italia.

It’s a shift in the season that suits the Cannondale team well, and the squad has made no secret of its major season objective — to win the Giro on the legs of Rigoberto Uran.

“For me, Romandie is very important for the Giro d’Italia test. We have a very strong team with Pierre [Rolland] and Talansky,” Uran said. “For sure we have to do well and be ahead in Romandie.”

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/newswire/uran-to-lead-cannondale-pro-cycling-team-at-romandie/#.Vx5p8DB97IU

The fun starts tomorrow!

If Uran can replicate his last year result in this race, I will be satisfied.

If the team will leave Romandie with nothing, I will be disappointed. There's not much more they could send to this race GC-wise.

I'm looking forward to see where Talansky is with his form. He used to do well in this race but he said this year he is at different point of his TdF preparation at this part of the year due to racing less and going into mountain training camp before the race.

And what happened with Ruben Zepuntke? He didn't race since February. There's no mention of any kind of problems on his twitter, at least I can't see it. But you would think that if he was fit, he would be taken to races like Paris-Roubaix before Gaimon, wouldn't you?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Anderis said:
And what happened with Ruben Zepuntke? He didn't race since February. There's no mention of any kind of problems on his twitter, at least I can't see it. But you would think that if he was fit, he would be taken to races like Paris-Roubaix before Gaimon, wouldn't you?
Not 100% sure, but it probably has something to do with the nasty fall at Tour La Provence which sent him to hospital for a week and left his elbow ganz kaputt.

Granted, it might not be on the level of Giant-Alpecin this year, but Cannondale's 2016 must be up there among the most hampered early seasons in a while. The entire classics team being struck down by illness, and a lot of other riders getting injured or ill left and right as well.

TRENDING THREADS