• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chaves is alive. I wonder what is it with this kid. I understand that this race is not a WT race but the swing from Vuelta to here is too big. And even before July he was showing great results in high performance races.

It was curious that today he was riding like if he was training. Did not ask for rotation. Additionally he knew that he needed to score some points. Maybe some better results will come his way in the coming weeks with all those Italian classics.

Chaves left the Vuelta early because he was not at the level and to prepare for the Italian races - The two strongest riders Chaves and martinez finished 4th and 5th in the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the best illustration as to how dissapointing EF have been this year can be found in the fact that for as much as Chavez, Eiking and Marian Van Den Berg have struggled this year, they are still top ten UCI point earners for EF. As is Piccolo, who has been with the team for only a couple of weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
JV offers his thoughts on how EF ended up in the relegation battle: https://www.velonews.com/news/road/...tary-how-we-ended-up-in-the-relegation-fight/ - apparently EF only doing WT races in the wake of the pandemic to cut down on travel and exposure bit them in the ass in the following year, recruitment and resistance-wise. The article doesn't include how JV didnt' realize this year was the end of the three-year-period for the license battle though...

Kind of interesting article. A lot of "we didn't realize...", however, and not many "I didn't realize..."

In the end it looks like covid-related budget cuts almost did EF in, so not much JV could have done about that. I'm not totally sure I buy the "we should have raced more, that way we would have been exposed to various viruses" theory, but in the end they escaped relegation. Hopefully Carapaz can rack up a few big points hauls in the next few years.

JV offers his thoughts on how EF ended up in the relegation battle: https://www.velonews.com/news/road/...tary-how-we-ended-up-in-the-relegation-fight/ - apparently EF only doing WT races in the wake of the pandemic to cut down on travel and exposure bit them in the ass in the following year, recruitment and resistance-wise. The article doesn't include how JV didnt' realize this year was the end of the three-year-period for the license battle though...
An interesting read that offers some insight on how they turned one of the strongest upwards trends to one of the strongest downwards trends in the peloton in such a short time. Little surprise that the pandemics played a huge role but it's still good to learn some details. I'm still sad they haven't been able to build on the great momentum they had in 2019-2020 seasons. At the time, they looked to be in a very good place with their squad but it all fell apart very quickly.

Why am I only seeing this now?
You were not supposed to see it earlier.

Do you have a video? Or just a recording?
Yes.

Cyclingnews in their story about Guerreiro to Movistar wrote:
The Portuguese climber had another year left on his deal but it has been dissolved by mutual consent after a separation appeared to suit both parties
Which to me sounds a bit weird- because what would suit EF so much in letting one of their best riders go?

There are rumours that they are going to sign Honore. Was it about unlocking the funds for Honore's contract? Does Vaughters think Honore will be more of an asset to the team than Guerreiro?
That's the only story I was able to come up with but maybe that's not the right explanation?

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
Cyclingnews in their story about Guerreiro to Movistar wrote:

Which to me sounds a bit weird- because what would suit EF so much in letting one of their best riders go?

There are rumours that they are going to sign Honore. Was it about unlocking the funds for Honore's contract? Does Vaughters think Honore will be more of an asset to the team than Guerreiro?
That's the only story I was able to come up with but maybe that's not the right explanation?

It seems that Guerreiro wanna fight for some leadership at GT (or, at least, a protected rider), and EF cannot give him that (Carapaz, Carthy, with a 2nd line like Chavez Uran and some young one's).

At Movistar you have Mas. And is a team with more connection to Portugal and "near home" (Guerreiro word's).

I'm not sure. Guerreiro signed a 3 years contract with Movistar and it seems like Movistar is getting Carlos Rodriguez from 2024, so they'll have 2 big leaders with Rodriguez and Mas.

Carapaz will be EF's number 1 rider for GTs probably but I don't see why Guerreiro wouldn't get a free role in the GTs that Carapaz doesn't ride. Chaves is not really a GC rider anymore and I don't think Uran is expected to do much anymore either. So that only leaves Carthy who hasn't done all that much since 2020 Vuelta, they definetely could give Guerreiro a free role next to him.

Regarding Guerreiro, I get the sense that something went wrong between him and the team. He was not allowed to do Worlds, but the team didn't send him to any race after Canada. That was very strange. There is also this, from an interview with A Bola:

«O acordo para finalizar o contrato antes de tempo foi bom para ambas as partes. Depois de três anos cheguei à conclusão de que a melhor solução era procurar novos rumos e não vale a pena estarmos a levantar as questões que estiveram na base desta decisão»

Translation: The deal to end my contract earlier was good for every one. After 3 years, I concluded that the best solution was to change teams and it's not worth it to speak about the reasons why.

Yeah, Piccolo looks like an inspired signing looking at how he performed in the autumn. Hopefully he doesn't stagnate next year. With him, Bettiol, Honore, Powless and Eiking they really have a very interesting team for all sorts of hilly classics.
Piccolo was already seen as a top talent in the junior ranks and back then he was also a top TTer. The team has good TT bikes, if he works more on it he could also ride for the gc in shorter, hilly stage races with an ITT.

Last edited:
Regarding Guerreiro, I get the sense that something went wrong between him and the team. He was not allowed to do Worlds, but the team didn't send him to any race after Canada. That was very strange. There is also this, from an interview with A Bola:

Translation: The deal to end my contract earlier was good for every one. After 3 years, I concluded that the best solution was to change teams and it's not worth it to speak about the reasons why.

Yeah, it sounds like there has been a fall-out between the rider and the management. It happens sometimes when there is a disconnect between two parties on what the future looks like.

Dont think it is anything more serious than that. Each seem to handle it in a good manner and choosing to look forward.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts