• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eki frustrated by AC's comments

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

gree0232 said:
Yes, like his incessant ranting, and overly emotional prattle prior to this years Giro, and adding into the hysterics with theatrical performances involving the Italian National Jersey was a touch of pure class. I am pretty certain that Simeoni burned more than a few bridges quite on his own with the benefit of a vast, imperial conspiracy with Lance at helm:)

He certainly earned the ire of the Giro's director.

Also, for the record, Simeoni and Darth Armstrong sortta buried the hatchet in the run up Giro. Go figure.

That's right. They are supposed to do some charity work together.

I guess that means that Simeoni has been seduced by Darth Armstrong and has gone to the dark side. Bummer.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Astana's Yaroslav Popovych, Haimar Zubeldia, Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Gregory Rast are set to join Radio shack...Hmm looks like to me this years tour team was buit more for LA than AC...IF Lance had his way Horner would have been there two so maybe AC was right to take the fight to LA to prove that he was the best. In my view LA and JB wanted to be as close to AC as they could till the TT. Thats was lances best chance to win. AC knew and felt the whole team was built for Lance this year and untill the first day in the alps 2 weeks into the race Lance never said he would ride for AC..thats a teamate? Seriously LA is a an Ego maniac.

A

Anonymous

mivarone said:
Astana's Yaroslav Popovych, Haimar Zubeldia, Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Gregory Rast are set to join Radio shack...Hmm looks like to me this years tour team was buit more for LA than AC...IF Lance had his way Horner would have been there two so maybe AC was right to take the fight to LA to prove that he was the best. In my view LA and JB wanted to be as close to AC as they could till the TT. Thats was lances best chance to win. AC knew and felt the whole team was built for Lance this year and untill the first day in the alps 2 weeks into the race Lance never said he would ride for AC..thats a teamate? Seriously LA is a an Ego maniac.

If in fact these guys are racing with LA next year what does that say about AC? (Please don't respond that it's a money thing.)

Did you see the way Horner performed at the Giro? According to Horner, when he was notified that he would not be on the TdF team, he asked out of his contract so he could find a team to take him to the tour. JB said "no". It was not that long ago that Horner and LA were fairly bitter rivals (Daniel Coyle's book 'Lance Armstrong's War'). So how does that square in keeping with the Darth Armstrong theory? If Darth Armstrong is so powerful then why was Horner not on the team in the first place?

Most driven and wildly successful people are egocentric. So what?

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
mivarone said:

What, do you have insider info? I've seen no announcements about any other than Lance being on the RS team yet. How many times have rumors been proven wrong. Not that they're not, but to state so, is premature isn't it?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:
Yes, like his incessant ranting, and overly emotional prattle prior to this years Giro, and adding into the hysterics with theatrical performances involving the Italian National Jersey was a touch of pure class. I am pretty certain that Simeoni burned more than a few bridges quite on his own with the benefit of a vast, imperial conspiracy with Lance at helm:)

He certainly earned the ire of the Giro's director.

Also, for the record, Simeoni and Darth Armstrong sortta buried the hatchet in the run up Giro. Go figure.

I don't know... The Italian national champion not being invited to the Giro seems like a valid complaint to me... ;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
[/B]

If in fact these guys are racing with LA next year what does that say about AC? (Please don't respond that it's a money thing.)

Did you see the way Horner performed at the Giro? According to Horner, when he was notified that he would not be on the TdF team, he asked out of his contract so he could find a team to take him to the tour. JB said "no". It was not that long ago that Horner and LA were fairly bitter rivals (Daniel Coyle's book 'Lance Armstrong's War'). So how does that square in keeping with the Darth Armstrong theory? If Darth Armstrong is so powerful then why was Horner not on the team in the first place?

If is not money then what is it? Lance's good looks and charming personality??

You guys are thick! Give us a break fanboys..:D

Scott SoCal said:
[/B]

Nothing. It's not like Contador has a team being built around them that they could join. Their current team is folding in a matter of weeks, they have contracts with JB's company, and he's moving to Radio Shack. So it is about money. It certainly doesn't say that they are going because they believe Lance has the best chance to win out of the two, or any loyalty to him beyond the dollars/euros (if they are smart).

A

Anonymous

Popo made it one whole dismal year riding for Evans. He comes back to Astana.. but then I guess that for just for money.

I read where Astana has offered $4M Euro a year to AC. I also read where AC turned it down. Was that all about the money too?

Do you really think that Milram (and many other teams I suppose) would'nt want Klodi on their team? Is it all about money, or is it also about winning? If LA is soooooo bad, then why has he been able to consistantly recruit outstanding talent?

Rant from the haters would seem to indicate that no one in their right mind would race with/for LA. I guess it must be all the mind control from Dark Side...

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Nothing. It's not like Contador has a team being built around them that they could join. Their current team is folding in a matter of weeks, they have contracts with JB's company, and he's moving to Radio Shack. So it is about money. It certainly doesn't say that they are going because they believe Lance has the best chance to win out of the two, or any loyalty to him beyond the dollars/euros (if they are smart).

So that's why Astana reportedly offered AC $4M Euro/year to stay?

AC reportedly turned down the offer.

Not ALWAYS about the money, no?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
[/B]

All these riders contracts are with JB's holding company Olympus SARL - not with Astana (the Kazakh Federation)- who have the Pro Tour licence.
Which is where the problem with Vino arises - and why JB twittered about a 'bull in a China shop".

JB has to honor those contracts - it has nothing to do with your implication about AC.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
These guys are getting paid a lot to ride.
Horner is on the record as saying he gets a lot of money from Astana.
Why would he mess that up?
You have to remember that Armstrong = $. and these guys aint doing this for free!

Scott SoCal said:
So that's why Astana reportedly offered AC $4M Euro/year to stay?

AC reportedly turned down the offer.

Not ALWAYS about the money, no?

The bulk of the team is going to Radio Shack. AC is refusing to ride for them. It may not fold, but it won't have a Pro License for long.

But your point was to suggest that they were going with LA over AC, which is why I pointed out that AC doesn't have a contract with a new team (and theoretically can't negotiate with anyone prior Sept 1) and there really isn't an option to go with AC. Who knows why they are going with Radio Shack. Maybe they really like JB. Maybe it's because JB holds all of their contracts and won't release them. Or it could be that Lance promised them all raises. Or put severed horse heads in all of their beds. Who knows? Who cares?

As for the Dark Vader theory, JB tried to split the baby. Bringing Rast instead of Noval, and Paulhino instead of Horner. Turned out to be one of the smarter moves on JB's part.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
ThisFrenchGuy said:
So every new twitter deserves his own thread (if not several)?

This is getting ridiculous: we get it, Contador "has lot to learn" and Armstrong "is not very likeable".

Couldn't agree more, the race is over lets move on! They don't like each other, shock horror. This is getting more like Days of our Lives and less like bike racing with each passing day.

RhodriM said:
Thanking members of the team for undermining and questioning him throughout, setting up and announcing their new team while the tour was still going on and ******ing off to celebrate that rather than the tour win?

There were riders on the team other than Lance Armstrong and Levi. All of the "nobody's" on the team like Rast, and co. worked their asses off. I have no idea whether or not Contador thanked those guys, but he certainly should if he hasn't. Leave those guys out of the LA-AC ****ing match. They deserve thanks and prize money. Period.

Kevin

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
nslckevin said:
There were riders on the team other than Lance Armstrong and Levi. All of the "nobody's" on the team like Rast, and co. worked their asses off. I have no idea whether or not Contador thanked those guys, but he certainly should if he hasn't. Leave those guys out of the LA-AC ****ing match. They deserve thanks and prize money. Period.

Kevin

Haimar Zubeldia said that Alberto Contador thanked the guys on the team for their hard work and effort each night. I would imagine that he thanked them again at the dinner.

We do know that Armstrong didn't thank the team at the dinner. :)

UpTheRoad said:
Haimar Zubeldia said that Alberto Contador thanked the guys on the team for their hard work and effort each night. I would imagine that he thanked them again at the dinner.

I am very glad to hear that. The team deserved his thanks.

UpTheRoad said:

Though I think on one level it wasn't "cool" to skip the dinner, it was probably better that he wasn't there to take the tension away. Let AC and the team be happy and celebrate the coming victory together. Still, there are some things that it seems like you should do even if it creates more tension.

Kevin

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:

Could I get a link source for this statement from Zubeldia?

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
What did Armstrong lie about? What did I miss???

The list of lies is long.

In this case Armstrong tired to paint Contador as ungrateful teammate who did not thank his teammates. When actually he did, every night according to Zubeldia

"end stage he went from room to room to give thanks for the work."

http://www.diariovasco.com/20090729/deportes/ciclismo/relacion-contador-armstrong-sido-20090729.html

He also thanked them at dinner after the last big stage, the dinner that Armstrong skipped. Classy.

TRENDING THREADS