• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm worried about Mühlberger, he lost 17 minutes today. Something must going on with him, Emu will need him in last years form. Kämna looked good today and Schachmann will be fine too. But Buchmann needs Mühlberger in the high mountains like at last years TdF.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Podium won't be easy.
There are Roglic and Bernal.
And then there is Pinot, Buchmann, Landa, Lopez Moreno, Quintana for the 3rd spot.
And in a few weeks, Pogacar, Dumoulin, Yates, Thomas, Uran, ... all could be better than today.
Don't know how Buchmann can be a rival to himself! Also, in the past two years he's shown more than most of those guys, but people continue to underrate him.

Your avatar! :cool:

Yes, it's tough if you have to face yourself as a rival. How can you ever win that duel?

I rate him highly (although I still want to feed him), but of course the podium won't be easy. But he can do it!
I have to raise awareness of the invisible man!

I think in this age of riders bursting on to the scene he gets overlooked for his slow start. But he's quite consistent and has been improving every year and looks like he's taken another step this year. Considering that the average age of a Tour winner is 28 and the way he's been slowly developing it's not unreasonable to suggest he could podium.

Also if it weren't for the scenes in Tignes, I think he would have got 3rd last year - or higher, considering he was stronger than Thomas in the mountains!

I have to raise awareness of the invisible man!

I think in this age of riders bursting on to the scene he gets overlooked for his slow start. But he's quite consistent and has been improving every year and looks like he's taken another step this year. Considering that the average age of a Tour winner is 28 and the way he's been slowly developing it's not unreasonable to suggest he could podium.

Also if it weren't for the scenes in Tignes, I think he would have got 3rd last year - or higher, considering he was stronger than Thomas in the mountains!

I am still wondering whether these mini-attacks that he puts in are a result of him not being able to do more or not willing to do it. I think WKA was the one who wrote Buchmann does attack if he can and that it is not a result of his character. But today, again, it looked like he could totally go deeper, just was not willing to do it because he would have risked too much? I cannot really estimate this with him... (but maybe his rivals can't either and that can be an advantage?)

He is one of the least explosive riders in the bunch, but he is naturally a very aggressive rider. I think he could have gaped the other riders if it was just for pure watt/kg today. But it wasn't steep enough at the end and thats why he would have just lead the other riders to the finish, because he can't really gap other strong riders if it is not very steep.
He seems to be in really great form. The other riders should worry a bit, he was even able to sprint a bit :tearsofjoy: His weight looks totally on the limit. I think he lost one kg to last year and really starts to look unhealty, but it seems to be good for his performance.

Don't know how Buchmann can be a rival to himself! Also, in the past two years he's shown more than most of those guys, but people continue to underrate him.

Did I say he's a rival to himself? I said I see 5 candidates for the 3rd spot, so 3rd will not easy, especially because even more riders will be in better shape at the start of the Tour.
Out of those riders, I would favor Pinot for 3rd spot.

He is one of the least explosive riders in the bunch, but he is naturally a very aggressive rider. I think he could have gaped the other riders if it was just for pure watt/kg today. But it wasn't steep enough at the end and thats why he would have just lead the other riders to the finish, because he can't really gap other strong riders if it is not very steep.
He seems to be in really great form. The other riders should worry a bit, he was even able to sprint a bit :tearsofjoy: His weight looks totally on the limit. I think he lost one kg to last year and really starts to look unhealty, but it seems to be good for his performance.

Roglic and Pinot look like bodybuilders compared to him. Agree that he might be among the if not the strongest climber if we are just talking about pure watt/kg. Last year he was among the top 3 climbers. Maybe even the 2nd best in the race.
Ignoring Alaphilippe Pinot dominated the first two weeks. Bernal the third week. Buchmann was second best through the entire race. Not a single bad day. Take away the TTT and he is 14s in front of Bernal after stage 17. 18s behind him after stage 18. Stage 19 was shortened so we will never know if the chasing group could have regained some time.
Obviously different race situations lead to different results and Ineos never needed to attack but Buchmann was able to follow Bernal and Pinot when no one else could.

Ignoring Alaphilippe Pinot dominated the first two weeks. Bernal the third week. Buchmann was second best through the entire race. Not a single bad day. Take away the TTT and he is 14s in front of Bernal after stage 17. 18s behind him after stage 18. Stage 19 was shortened so we will never know if the chasing group could have regained some time.
Obviously different race situations lead to different results and Ineos never needed to attack but Buchmann was able to follow Bernal and Pinot when no one else could.

Yea, Buchmann was extremely close to Bernal level that last Tour, not much separating them at all. Though they are perceived very differently, Buchman being a dark horse candidate for a podium stop, while everyone is debating if Bernal or Roglic is the best stage racer of the world. I would also say that Pinot was actually quite a bit stronger than Bernal last TdF, as long as he was in the race.

Yea, Buchmann was extremely close to Bernal level that last Tour, not much separating them at all. Though they are perceived very differently, Buchman being a dark horse candidate for a podium stop, while everyone is debating if Bernal or Roglic is the best stage racer of the world. I would also say that Pinot was actually quite a bit stronger than Bernal last TdF, as long as he was in the race.
Pinot gained Time on Bernal on every summit finish. The only time Bernal dropped Pinot was on stage 18, when Pinot got injured.

I really want him to do well in the dauphine and maybe if win a stage.

I think him never winning a stage against the big guys could be a mental barrier for him at the tour because based on his current form and what he did last year he even has what it takes to win if things go his way.
But he is missing the winning mentality still as far as i can tell.

As far as I know Buchmann he has no mental barriers. He has a killer focus and is just doing his thing without thinking much about the public, the other riders and so on. He seems to really like training all day. He just doesn't have the abilities to win a lot of races, because he has no sprint. He will win when he his just stronger then the others. If he sees a chance he will attack, but he also knows when it makes absolutely no sense against JV and Ineos.

I agree with everything Faserr said.

My impression from him yesterday was actually that I think we saw for the first time an Emu Buchmann with some sort of resemblance of explosivity. His attack, him closing gaps and following other riders looked smooth and he didn't immediately lose several bike lenghts. I think the specific work he did the past 2 or so years to get more explosive is starting to pay off. In relation to his former level obviously.

Also interesting comment from Lorang on Twitter saying that there is more to come. He looks ready for a Tour that is right up his sleeve from a parcours point of view.

Also interesting comment from Lorang on Twitter saying that there is more to come. He looks ready for a Tour that is right up his sleeve from a parcours point of view.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw that too. And if Lorang says there is more to come, there is more to come...

Another good showing today. His sprint wasn't bad at all in the finish. It seems Buchmann has managed to kick on again from last year and now himself and Pinot are the best of the rest. Roglic is of course stronger, but a 20s gap after two summit finishes shouldn't worry Buchmann in the slightest.

He's a classic early 2000s rider - built solely for July (or in this case September). He's sort of like Kloden in that regard.

Another good showing today. His sprint wasn't bad at all in the finish. It seems Buchmann has managed to kick on again from last year and now himself and Pinot are the best of the rest. Roglic is of course stronger, but a 20s gap after two summit finishes shouldn't worry Buchmann in the slightest.

He's a classic early 2000s rider - built solely for July (or in this case September). He's sort of like Kloden in that regard.

What you mean with built for July?
Both Buchmann and especially Klöden had some good early season results as well, Klöden won the Tour of Basque country twice I believe. As well has PN and Tour de Romandie.

What you mean with built for July?
Both Buchmann and especially Klöden had some good early season results as well, Klöden won the Tour of Basque country twice I believe. As well has PN and Tour de Romandie.
Most of Buchmann's rivals perform better in the early season but he's flying come July. That's not to say he's weak in the spring.

Kloden podiumed the Tour twice, but both years he was quite unspectacular in spring. After he won in the Basque country he barely got top 5 in stage races for the next 7 years, yet he managed to podium the Tour twice in that time.

TRENDING THREADS