• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No pain anymore but also clearly not at 100% and at his level from Dauphiné. Now the missing training sessions come into play. Hopefully he is either feeling better at Aigoual already or he let's the GC go there and focusses on stages if he doesn't improve.
The nine seconds in general are not the big problem. It all depends now on his performances on stage 6, 8 and 9.
In the Alpes I think he could reach his top shape again.

Buchmann after stage 4:

"It went pretty well up to 1.5 kilometers before the finish line. But then I had to drive myself into position again, that was not quite optimal. Since I was already in the wind. When it got really fast, there it was when I missed it a bit. So I haven't recovered from the fall yet. I haven't lost much today, it is within limits."
Sounds a bit like he was missing a mate on the last kilometers and that he is still missing something of his own shape after Dauphine incidents and
consequent loss of training units. Usually Buchmann - without fitness doubts - should not lose 9 seconds on a Bardet or Porte even at a finish like this to be honest.

His mates today:

Schachmann + 03:22
Kämna and Mühlberger + 03:59
Großschartner + 05:55

Considering their time gaps in GC, I would be surprised if one of these guys weren't represented in escape groups in the upcoming mountain stages.

He lost the chances for a top3 with his crash.
It is good that he has no pain. He was a bit unlucky in the last 3km. One time he rode to the front alone and could not find a positon behind the other teams. With 1,5 km to go he got overrolled before the fast 2 curves and then he was in bad position and he didn't have the strength to close the opening gaps.
He clearly is not in top shape. Today the result was probably worse then his shape.

His team was bad today, but mühlberger and schachmann are injured and kämna crashed 3 times.

I think they all will get better during the tour. I hope they rise offensive. There is not much to loose.

He lost the chances for a top3 with his crash.
It is good that he has no pain. He was a bit unlucky in the last 3km. One time he rode to the front alone and could not find a positon behind the other teams. With 1,5 km to go he got overrolled before the fast 2 curves and then he was in bad position and he didn't have the strength to close the opening gaps.
He clearly is not in top shape. Today the result was probably worse then his shape.

His team was bad today, but mühlberger and schachmann are injured and kämna crashed 3 times.

I think they all will get better during the tour. I hope they rise offensive. There is not much to loose.

He might recover from his injury during the next week, but I guess with the training sessions he missed, his form will not be up to top-level no matter what. Where should that fitness come from? Also during the last days, you could read that the injury itself isn't troubling him too much anymore. It has been 17 days since his crash now, so it's probably unlikely to expect some dramatic improvement in just a few more days time.

With his Dauphine legs he would have closed that gap (to the 16th placed rider, not roglic) without problems. Also, the lack of teammates in the final should not prevent him from staying with the top 16 on a MTF. That being said his 3 top mountain domestiques are injured right now, so the team isn't doing better than he is either

I highly doubt he will play any significant role in the GC this year, somewhere around 9th or 10th place at best.

He might recover from his injury during the next week, but I guess with the training sessions he missed, his form will not be up to top-level no matter what. Where should that fitness come from?
He lost 2 weeks of intensive preperation for the tour de France after his crash at the Dauphine. If you assume that he completely recovered from his injuries, then you can guess how long he will need to reach his top shape again, which he wanted to have at the start of the tour..

He lost 2 weeks of intensive preperation for the tour de France after his crash at the Dauphine. If you assume that he completely recovered from his injuries, then you can guess how long he will need to reach his top shape again, which he wanted to have at the start of the tour..

I don't know if that is what you mean but I'm not certain riding tour stages will make up for the specific training work he would have done during those two weeks?

So yesterday had been another day, when the other contenders had omitted the possibility to gain time to Buchmann.
He says he feels every day better and looks forward to the stages in the Pyrenees.
Unfortunately Kämna didn´t recover from his early crashes yet...

His performance today, compared to his competitors, was pretty much the same as on stage 4, again like 15+ riders stronger than him, I strongly doubt that he will get into top-shape this TdF. It has been 3 weeks now after his crash, there won't be any quick improvements at this stage. Maybe give it one last go tomorrow, if there will 10 or more GC contenders better than him again then I would take the rest of the Tour as training for the Vuelta, if he manages a good preparation for that race he could go for the overall victory there. Maybe win a Tour stage on the way, but fighting for your life just to maybe get a 10th place doesn't make sense after being 4th last year.

Yes. After sunday it is the only option. He still went for GC at sundays stage.

His coach (Dan Lorang) said that the Vuelta would be an option if he doesn't go to the limit on a daily basis for the rest of the Tour. According to Emu himself even going for a stage this TdF won't be easy in his current condition. He is aiming for the 3rd week, this week is for him to recover. Bora is also considering if he will get as much team support in the future in his pursuit of high placings in the GC. I think they have lost faith in him.

>Zumal es denkbar ist, dass Buchmann so schnell nicht mehr das volle Vertrauen und die volle Kraft des Teams hinter sich haben wird bei der Tour. Teamchef Ralph Denk hat gegenüber dieser Zeitung durchblicken lassen, dass auch Eigengewächs Buchmann an den vereinbarten Zielen gemessen wird. Weltweit die Nummer eins im Radsport zu werden ist das erklärte Ziel. Und dazu gehört auch eine zuverlässige Präsenz vorne im Gesamtklassement bei den großen Landesrundfahrten. Diese Tour de France ist intern zum großen Gradmesser für Buchmanns Leistungsvermögen erklärt worden. Aber der schuldlose Sturz des Schwaben zuvor verfälscht dieses Bild enorm.<<

I don't think they won't give him a second chance since his form comes from the crash, but it sounds very much like they will not carry him over any hard times but just rigidly take the one they see as their best hope for a podium. And even if for instance Kämna is probably more talented these are really not great sentences. Every rider has up and downs and if you are not willing to accept certain downs you may miss to earn when they are on the up.

For Bora I guess the issue is that they have Sagan who is a bonafide superstar and Ackermann who is a consistent winner who are both there until the end of next year (that's as long as they have Buchmann for afaik?). Schachmann meanwhile is clearly the long term bet being there another 4 years. There's a lot of one day and sprint talent and assembling a great squad of stage hunters + consistent winners can do you well across a big chunk of the season and net you more positives than having a good GC rider who can be a bit anonymous.

Buchmann's best bet is to get out and win some stages or contest the polka dot jersey now. He was unlucky with the crash and what that did to his prep, but if he's not pulling out he needs to do more than just see the race out.

TRENDING THREADS