• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
he looked great last year in the dauphine but i am pretty sure he said himself that he was in is absolute peak shape already for that race whereas other riders were still building up a bit more .. pogacar and porte looked terrible compared to later in the tour

guillaume martin similar, he was great in the dauphine on some stages but then only 11th in the tour later on

i am afraid buchmann and bora overate him slightly when they expect him to challenge for podiums in GT's, realisticly he is more a guy who would come between 5-10th in GC ..he would be better off going for stages or miraculously get stronger in 2 or 3 years and step up to becoming a proper contender for the win but i am afraid he is already close to his absolute physical peak

He didnt peak for the Dauphine last year, his coach said during the race that we can expect (even) more for the TdF, well then he crashed.

Simply put he wasnt performing close to his physical peak yesterday, just look at his powerfiles on Strava.

That last climb was about 14mins long and he did 371w over that time, on a stage that featured bad weather ( heavy rain but with 12-13 degrees not overly cold) but wasnt ridden especially hard (his WAP was 261w, lower than on all Basque Country stages- that crazy Arrate stage he had 334WAP..) At the Iztulia he consistantly did around 400w for such 14min efforts. Even at Arrate, where he must have been already properly fatigued after riding much harder than he did yesterday, he did well over 385w for also roughly 14mins. With his low bodyweight this means 6,28W/kg vs 6,52w/kg. So with at least Arrate legs Im pretty sure he could have answered the attacks and finished with the first groups of favorites. With 400w (6,78w/kg) they would have had a hard time following him.

He was saying after the stage that the climb didnt suit him, which is true I guess, but it doesnt really explain why he was putting out watt well below what he has shown in prep races. Considering at the last stage of that tough Tour of Basque Country (he attacked the day before as well..) he should be more fatigued than he was yesterday. Only valid explaination could be the weather or that he isnt in top shape right now imo. The altitude training has been mentioned but he actually went there cos he is reacting very well to that kind of training with no real need of an adjustment period. The bora coaches, which are no dummies, also wouldnt send him there if that was the case.

Reactions: Remy55
he looked great last year in the dauphine but i am pretty sure he said himself that he was in is absolute peak shape already for that race whereas other riders were still building up a bit more .. pogacar and porte looked terrible compared to later in the tour

guillaume martin similar, he was great in the dauphine on some stages but then only 11th in the tour later on

i am afraid buchmann and bora overate him slightly when they expect him to challenge for podiums in GT's, realisticly he is more a guy who would come between 5-10th in GC ..he would be better off going for stages or miraculously get stronger in 2 or 3 years and step up to becoming a proper contender for the win but i am afraid he is already close to his absolute physical peak
I don't think he should give up GC aspirations, it's way too soon. He was getting better every year till his TdF 4th place in 2019. Then he had one down year because of the crash. We have riders who year after year target GC in GTs, yet are at best fringe top10 level. He has shown with his 4th place, he has the capability to be above that level. If you are a contender for a GC top 5, you should go for GC IMO, or else we'll end up with only 3 riders battling it out. He can still change his target during the GT if it doesn't go according to plan. Even in this Giro. If he loses more time and feels by the end of week two he is too far back and out of contention, he should maybe take it easy one stage and then target a stage win. But he should absolutely give it a couple more tries at GC in my opinion.

It was to be expected that he would lose a bit time again with this kind of finish today. Buchmann is not considered to be particularly dynamic - rather the opposite is true. And his prologue (104th place on saturday - he usually finishes TTs in the top 30-40 in stage races) left no questions unanswered about his current state after his altitude training camp.

He is really a sensitive driver who is dependent on circumstances in several ways. Over the past few days, viewers at Eurosport Germany have asked what Buchmann would be missing to become a top cyclist. The moderators called out his limited skills at time trials. I think they have forgotten characteristics on descents, the lack of punsh to be up to date when the pace is changing which in his case is followed by a poor sprint to gain a good position out of small group. It is precisely these restrictions that make him somehow likeable to me. ^^

Now he is in 16th place with ~1.30 minutes back to Remco. If his hopes rise and he ignites in the third week (of course in warm weather conditions and dryness) I wouldn't be blown away if he will be one of the best 4-5 climbers in the classement and that he could still end this Giro on place 4-8 if everything goes well for him. In any case, there are a number of names ahead of him that he should be able to overtake if he should reach his shape for heavy mountains. Until then, there are still some classic stages waiting for him on which he could lose time.:rolleyes::D

Reactions: Sandisfan
He was able to make a difference through his dedication and shake off a few challengers with his attack - I think Nibali, Ciccone and Soler? - and he previously participated in the leadershipwork with Bernal 15 kilometers from the finish. That was a bit unexpected on this kind of stage and I feel happy for him and Bora.

I still mourn a lost ~ 30 seconds on previous stages, because Buchmann could probably be within a striking distance with Yates, however we get closer to the terrain in which he feels most comfortable (if the weather cooperates).

He has been improving consistantly since the first mountain stage, I wrote about his powernumbers before and those 371 watts he was able to hold for 14mins during the last climb of the sestola stage he did today for 20mins and that at the end of a much tougher race.
He went to that late altitude training and according to Dan Lorang he isnt a rider who is known to fade in the last week of a GT so considering that he is my favorite for the 2nd place right now.

He has been improving consistantly since the first mountain stage, I wrote about his powernumbers before and those 371 watts he was able to hold for 14mins during the last climb of the sestola stage he did today for 20mins and that at the end of a much tougher race.
He went to that late altitude training and according to Dan Lorang he isnt a rider who is known to fade in the last week of a GT so considering that he is my favorite for the 2nd place right now.
Just checked his strava file and it was exactly as you wrote. The numbers are there but the TT still being the biggest concern for him I suppose.

Yes, it's always a bit awkward to speculate about these things, but from his looks... this shouts eating disorder. I hope that's not the case.
In any case he obviously suffers much in rain.
I really don't think it's any kind of ED. This is just his body type, the Harthy- or Poels-like one. And belive me, it's not that easy to put on weight in this case, especially if you're endurance athlete.

Yes, it's always a bit awkward to speculate about these things, but from his looks... this shouts eating disorder. I hope that's not the case.
In any case he obviously suffers much in rain.

For sure cold weather isnt for him but with such things you have to consider who he is up against, there arent any heavy classics riders fighting for the overall in a GT, its all super skinny climbers and based on their bodyfat none of them will like the cold.

After all, he seems to have tried to close the gap on Bernal and Yates, as the picture shows, but in the end he was still overtaken by Caruso, Ciccone and Martin. I don't think there were any TV pictures of this development. Bora seemed to be at least satisfied with the outcome of the stage, as time gaps on Vlasov and Carthy could be made up. Let's see how the mountains to come run.

E2Ac5lvWUAQ_iVK

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts