• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He attacked in Velefique and Valdepeñas and couldn't beat Roglic. And that was the end of his attacking days.
In Covadonga he chose not to follow Bernal's long range attack and in Gamoniteiru they went for the stage with MAL as they knew he wouldn't be chased if he went with a late attack, so he played teammate. Movistar was short of climbing domestiques from the start and missing Valverde and Verona just depleted the team in that department.
Another unspectacular podium to his modest trophy cabinet.

He did attack multiple times before yesterday. The guy just can’t win with people.

Sorry, but he really can't with me. Of course you can look at all the moments where he did some micro attacks and then count every single one and point at them, but he's one of the least attacking riders among the guys with some capabilities. He follows wheels and he's good at not exploding, it surely is a quality to be consistent, but you will find few less attacking riders. He doesn't go for wins, he goes for places and hopes everyone in front of him falls off their bike or explodes.

Sorry, but he really can't with me. Of course you can look at all the moments where he did some micro attacks and then count every single one and point at them, but he's one of the least attacking riders among the guys with some capabilities. He follows wheels and he's good at not exploding, it surely is a quality to be consistent, but you will find few less attacking riders. He doesn't go for wins, he goes for places and hopes everyone in front of him falls off their bike or explodes.
He went with 5 KM to the finish on stage 7. Hardly a micro attack. From a career standpoint, he’s still young. Yeah he wasn’t as polished as Tadej or even Bernal straight away, but every rider has the potential to improve.

And I take it you weren’t around for the Greg LeMond years, or you wouldve really hated that guy.

And I take it you weren’t around for the Greg LeMond years, or you wouldve really hated that guy.

Indeed I never saw LeMond. So I don't know how I would have felt about him.

Look, I don't hate Mas. Actually there aren't any cyclists I really hate, at best I really don't like them, like Keisse. There are some I don't like much, like Evenepoel, and Mas doesn't even belong into that category. I just don't care about him, he has a nice smile and has never said anything that made me think "what a d***", but he doesn't get me excited in any positive way either. Sometimes the way he races, pretty passively, annoys me and since I'm an emotional person I can get a bit heated then. But most of the time I just don't think about him much and it's not like I wish him anything bad.

Indeed I never saw LeMond. So I don't know how I would have felt about him.

Look, I don't hate Mas. Actually there aren't any cyclists I really hate, at best I really don't like them, like Keisse. There are some I don't like much, like Evenepoel, and Mas doesn't even belong into that category. I just don't care about him, he has a nice smile and has never said anything that made me think "what a d***", but he doesn't get me excited in any positive way either. Sometimes the way he races, pretty passively, annoys me and since I'm an emotional person I can get a bit heated then. But most of the time I just don't think about him much and it's not like I wish him anything bad.

It's exactly what I realize how I feel about him. With probably one difference : I always have a bit extra care for riders growing up or making a name in a Spanish team. But even with that, I find it hard to be less indifferent to Mas.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm actually fascinated by why Netflix series doesn't give Mas a story. It's like I have no idea why he's racing. I see no drive and it's like he doesn't even feel competitive?

He has an extreme pain face which is kinda fun and he's quite beautiful.

The only story he has is being insecure and needing Valverde?

Is he still just being insecure? Because if so he definitely could only improve.

Ok, so he wasnt as strong as expected on the Asturian climbs, but he crashed before. I wonder how different he would have looked had it been +30 celsius and sunny since he really seems to thrive in those conditions to me, but we must admit that Roglic is simply a better, more well rounded rider than Enric Mas is.

He is a better rider than Sastre and he managed to fluke a Tour-win. Enric could win the Tour, but the most likely outcome is probably a few podium and 1 or 2 Vueltas.

He does seem to really like the heat and do better in it. The crash did take a bit out of him. He said on social media on the first climbing day after the crash he was struggling because of the effects of the crash, but the more stages after the crash he improved. I suspect for GT overalls with his consistency he's likely to end up with a career that has several podiums and a victory or two somewhere most likely la Vuelta.

Reactions: noob
Enric Mas thoroughly deserved his 2nd on GC. Very consistent and finished with a strong TT. We should remember three weeks ago most of us were saying how strong the field was at this Vuelta, well finishing 2nd to one half of the two most dominant riders of the current generation isn't half bad.

Mas only suffers because he was heralded by Alberto Contador as Spain's next big thing. That doesn't mean he can attack like AC. Too many fans think riders ride to entertain. They ride to win based upon their ability. That applied to Contador too.

He does seem to really like the heat and do better in it. The crash did take a bit out of him. He said on social media on the first climbing day after the crash he was struggling because of the effects of the crash, but the more stages after the crash he improved. I suspect for GT overalls with his consistency he's likely to end up with a career that has several podiums and a victory or two somewhere most likely la Vuelta.
Oh I had forgotten about the crash. And I think I never saw it either. If it wasn't when they played with a barb wire??

Reactions: Koronin
I'm actually fascinated by why Netflix series doesn't give Mas a story. It's like I have no idea why he's racing. I see no drive and it's like he doesn't even feel competitive?

He has an extreme pain face which is kinda fun and he's quite beautiful.

The only story he has is being insecure and needing Valverde?

Is he still just being insecure? Because if so he definitely could only improve.

I've heard Mas suffers from the same lack of confidence that Valverde has spent his entire career suffering from. I wouldn't be shocked if that is part of why he wanted to race with Valverde. One thing I think we did learn in this Vuelta is that Mas does have leadership abilities. With multiple teammates crashing out the team didn't fall apart.

Enric Mas thoroughly deserved his 2nd on GC. Very consistent and finished with a strong TT. We should remember three weeks ago most of us were saying how strong the field was at this Vuelta, well finishing 2nd to one half of the two most dominant riders of the current generation isn't half bad.

Mas only suffers because he was heralded by Alberto Contador as Spain's next big thing. That doesn't mean he can attack like AC. Too many fans think riders ride to entertain. They ride to win based upon their ability. That applied to Contador too.

I agree with this assessment and then last year Valverde anointed him as the next leader of Movistar Team.

• Love
Reactions: Cookster15 and noob
I think Velefique was the first time that an attack instigated by him resulted in a major time gain vs his direct rivals.

Even in his greatest moment of triumph in Andorra 3 years ago I think it was Yates who got him up to the front group.

Maybe it is lack of confidence or whatever, but it does limit the number ways that he can win a GT to simply being more consistent than the rest.

@Koronin
Ah, I didn't know Valverde always struggled with his confidence. I thought it was just after being world champion. But that explains their bond.

Is it all set up for Valverde taking over after Eusebio (or at least being DS) in the future or is it just in my head?

Valverde has never had much confidence in his own abilities. I've heard a few pros say that if he just half the confidence that a normal pro has he'd have a lot more victories to his name. I had no idea until I heard about Mas' issues during this Vuelta that he suffers from the same problem. That may be part of why he's gone the consistency route, he just doesn't have the finishing kick that Valverde has so he's going to struggle to get many wins over his career. You may be right about that being part of why they bonded the way they have.

No. Valverde has stated multiple times he wants no part of being a DS. The only time he's willing to DS is for the Junior team he owns.

And just to add, with Lopez spontaneously combusting and Valverde getting even older, Mas is probably destined to ride the Tour and Vuelta for GC for a while which does not increase his chances of winning either.

I suspect you're right. Although it appears Mas needs a lot of racing to really be in/near top form and he's much better in the heat than cold, so I'm not sure the Giro is actually a great option for him anyway.

I was impressed with Mas in this Vuelta, enough to think there might be a GT Win in this kid. Before this race I would’ve said no.

I still don’t think he has a TdF in his legs. It would have to be a perfect route with some favorites missing.

TdF win I think a podium is possible, but a win may be out of reach. I think if he's on his best form with the consistency he can have a podium should be possible.

Reactions: perico and noob