• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sometimes the way he races, pretty passively, annoys me

We all have our reasons for liking or disliking riders, but you do realize although riders are paid to entertain that is not what motivates them?

Riders are paid and motivated to win. You win based upon ability, hard work, team support and courage. I think its too early to say Mas lacks courage. He is riding to his physiological limits. This Vuelta he stepped up another level. Clearly better than Haig and the rest , but nobody was close to Roglic. Others might disagree but I think the field at this Vuelta was deep and the level high. Mas finished 2nd, good job!

Had Mas attacked he might also have blown up any chance of a podium. If on big MTFs if he is riding above his threshold then he simply won't be able to attack even if he wanted to. That's how the physiology works. Entertaining riders in the past (like Contador) were not riding at their threshold when they attacked.

We all have our reasons for liking or disliking riders, but you do realize although riders are paid to entertain that is not what motivates them?

Riders are paid and motivated to win. You win based upon ability, hard work, team support and courage. I think its too early to say Mas lacks courage. He is riding to his physiological limits. This Vuelta he stepped up another level. Clearly better than Haig and the rest , but nobody was close to Roglic. Others might disagree but I think the field at this Vuelta was deep and the level high. Mas finished 2nd, good job!

Had Mas attacked he might also have blown up any chance of a podium. If on big MTFs if he is riding above his threshold then he simply won't be able to attack even if he wanted to. That's how the physiology works. Entertaining riders in the past (like Contador) were not riding at their threshold when they attacked.

I suspect as he gains more confidence in his own abilities he learn more when he can attack and not blow up as well. That's assuming he will gain confidence in his own abilities.

I wonder about people who incessantly post about riders they dislike - There is no purpose behind these posts, unless you are seeking attention.

Anyway, Mas is a 'safe pair of hands' as a team leader moving forward.

It's not a "dislike". Mas is just very "Meh" as a rider.

Has he progressed as a GC rider? Probably? But he is still 2 steps below Roglic and Pogacar and a step below Bernal. Yes, he is very much on the same step with the Jack Haigs of this world.

Mas is a very talented climber and 3 week rider who can win a grand tour but probably not many and not much else.

He also looks great on the bike and I enjoy watching him.

If he brings a bit more attacking spirit back into his racing, like in 2018, he will be very popular.

The only problem seems to be it takes him a full season to build form. Meaning he is always at his best for the vuelta and will struggle in Giro/Tour.

What is the purpose behind posts praising riders you like, other than sycophancy?

Or perhaps it's just that it's fun to talk about things you have an opinion on.

I don't post incessantly about riders whether I like them or not - To be honest, I am fine with all riders in the peleton and don't have particularly strong feelings about individuals or feel the need to make numerous, non-sensical posts.

I don't post incessantly about riders whether I like them or not - To be honest, I am fine with all riders in the peleton and don't have particularly strong feelings about individuals or feel the need to make numerous, non-sensical posts.

I have feelings about riders and I come here to "talk" about those, because I don't have anyone in my real life to talk to about this topic. What exactly counts as non-sensical for you?

Normally I'd agree that he is a boring rider but this Vuelta was fine. He had a big attack on stage 9 which was the only time Roglic looked slightly unease, he also was surprisingly aggressive on that punchy finish on stage 11.
Both times Roglic beat him at the end so it's fair enough to concede that he can't beat this guy anyway. Third week he was therefore quite passive because he had to defend his position while his team was depleted and a way stronger team in Bahrain was in prime position to take advantage as well as two Ineos guys lurking that are on their day both better climbers.
Only thing I'd do differently if I were him was going full out on stage 20 in the hope that if he drops Yates, Roglic might gift him the win (due to the thing of no Spaniard winning and the fact that he had mugged him before it wouldn't surprise me if Roglic actually would've done that). He had nothing to lose in that situation and going into a game of chicken with Yates and Roglic made no sense to me.
But yeah, overall promising showing and for someone who went also deep in the TDF (up with the best on Luz Ardiden) this was a great performance.

Lot depends, but probably did not have the legs to follow Roglic and Bernal on Llomena, after that there was basically nothing they could do. Week 2 was poorly designed.

I do think his tactics on stage 20 were really dumb considering it was basically impossible for him to lose 2nd on GC yet he insisted on trying to sneak away from Roglic rather than attacking hard and hoping he was somehow stronger.

I hope he goes to the Giro next year, he might add a lot more to that race than he would to the Tour.

Reactions: gunara
The "boring rider" stamp is easy for us to put on a rider. Mas was more aggressive than "usual", probably because he was stronger than he has been. He did what he could but Roglic was just too strong, so he defended his 2nd place towards the end of the Vuelta. Nothing to be ashamed of. Like many others, Enric Mas needs to find a way to improve his ITT, otherwise if Pog and/or Rog are there, he can't lose 4 seconds per kilometer against the clock and hope to win.

Mas was at the best form of his life at this years Vuelta.
IMO It will be unlikely that he can win a GT in the future because of his lacking iTT skill.
Besides he’s at the same level as a lot of other GC riders atm and a step below Roglic, Pogacar and a full fit Bernal so…
Despite that I really enjoyed the way he rode at this Vuelta

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lot depends, but probably did not have the legs to follow Roglic and Bernal on Llomena, after that there was basically nothing they could do. Week 2 was poorly designed.

I do think his tactics on stage 20 were really dumb considering it was basically impossible for him to lose 2nd on GC yet he insisted on trying to sneak away from Roglic rather than attacking hard and hoping he was somehow stronger.

I hope he goes to the Giro next year, he might add a lot more to that race than he would to the Tour.

Agree that ideally he should be best suited to the Giro - He won't do the Giro in 2022 because it means three consecutive grand tours and when you factor in the changed 2020 COVID affected season, this would mean 5 GT's in 20 months.

Not really - It's about incessant posting which is repetitive - Anyway lets get back to discussing Enric Mas.

Okay, since you aren't reacting to me I don't know if you have me on ignore, but I honestly wonder what do you consider incessant repetitive posting? I mean, after all I've read quite many posts of you this Vuelta writing about BikeExchange letting Mezgec work for Matthews. And how are we supposed to discuss a rider when we can't say what we think and feel about him?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Agree that ideally he should be best suited to the Giro - He won't do the Giro in 2022 because it means three consecutive grand tours and when you factor in the changed 2020 COVID affected season, this would mean 5 GT's in 20 months.

Froome did Tour/Vuelta 2017, then Giro/Tour 2018. I think Mas should do Giro/Vuelta next season. He might achieve similar results to Aru 2015.

It's not a "dislike". Mas is just very "Meh" as a rider.

Has he progressed as a GC rider? Probably? But he is still 2 steps below Roglic and Pogacar and a step below Bernal. Yes, he is very much on the same step with the Jack Haigs of this world.

Jack Haig has 1 podium, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10 in GTs- all from this Vuelta.

Mas has 2 podiums, 4 Top 5s, and 5 Top 10s in GTs and is a year younger. I like Haig, but come on...