• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Escarabajos" Who is the best climber?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Whos the best climber?

• Johan Chaves

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Jakob747 said:
Sadly I missed today’s stage. How strong did Quintana look? In other words on a scale from 1 to 10 how impressive was he? :)... Mil Gracias!

Saxo Bank pushed in the base of Lagos, Nairo attacked with Verdugo, then Contador sent Jesùs Hernàndez ahead for a future attack and Nairo went with him.. Later Gesink.. But the attacks didnt take distance, so a group of 6 guys with Antòn, Verdugo, Anacona, Gesink or Quintana 5" ahead the peloton in La Huesera. Valverde is the first who tried at 6 kms to go, Contador and Purito went with him, catched the group and only Quintana could stay with them. Nairo worked for Valverde and then began the moves of Bertie, 6 or 7 , but he didnt make differences, Valverde dropped and Quintana did a good job helping him to stay with Alberto and Purito... Then Quintana take 20 metres, Contador attack one more time catching him so finally the four arrived together the last kilometer. The colombian did the approximation for Valverde, who was the fastest of the "fantàsticos". I think an 8 :) Sorry for my english:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
He was probably the third strongest climber on the final climb after Purito and Ac.

yes. that sums it up well. although todays should suit him better. longer final climb. and more altitude. I can se ehim beat contador here. who isn't that strong. but probably he has to work for valverde :(

Jason_Mercier said:
Saxo Bank pushed in the base of Lagos, Nairo attacked with Verdugo, then Contador sent Jesùs Hernàndez ahead for a future attack and Nairo went with him.. Later Gesink.. But the attacks didnt take distance, so a group of 6 guys with Antòn, Verdugo, Anacona, Gesink or Quintana 5" ahead the peloton in La Huesera. Valverde is the first who tried at 6 kms to go, Contador and Purito went with him, catched the group and only Quintana could stay with them. Nairo worked for Valverde and then began the moves of Bertie, 6 or 7 , but he didnt make differences, Valverde dropped and Quintana did a good job helping him to stay with Alberto and Purito... Then Quintana take 20 metres, Contador attack one more time catching him so finally the four arrived together the last kilometer. The colombian did the approximation for Valverde, who was the fastest of the "fantàsticos". I think an 8 :) Sorry for my english:D

Thanks a lot for your summary. Sounds like he was really strong then, amazing talent! Can’t wait to see him in action today! :)

Hugo Koblet said:
He was probably the third strongest climber on the final climb after Purito and Ac.

Thanks Hugo! Best climber in the world together with Thibaut Pinot in a few years. I remember well their toe to toe battle on Col de la Croisette in Aosta -2009. Amazing edition, with Carlos Betancur cleaning up the KOMs in countless resilient attacks. There of the best riders in the world right there!

Jakob747 said:
Thanks Hugo! Best climber in the world together with Thibaut Pinot in a few years. I remember well their toe to toe battle on Col de la Croisette in Aosta -2009. Amazing edition, with Carlos Betancur cleaning up the KOMs in countless resilient attacks. There of the best riders in the world right there!
I agree! Will be interesting to see Dombrowski among these in a couple of years as well.

Ryo Hazuki said:
if yesterday was a ten then today was an 11 _O_

no he was far better yesteday. imo

He was with them to the finish and latching on to Contadors attacks everytime. Today Contador did not put in as many attacks and Nairo dropped a bit before the end.

Either way still leagues ahead of everyone other than the top 3.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the next Giro D'Italia:p Would be amazing see Quintana and Betancur fighting for a GC in a GT. I hope see Coldeportes in Italia too. Probably will be a nice race, oppossite of this year edition.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I think (Ryo, correct me if I'm wrong) it's because he prefers less steep climbs. A particularly mountainous Tour would be ideal.

steep climbs he's great in, as well as less steep climbs. in climing he has no shortcomings other than being unexplosive. which you could see today, his first attack didn't do much, but he only gets better in a climb. the guy has an incredible engine and never really breaks.