• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised we don't have one for him yet.

Looks like he's Colombia's only hope for at least a day in pink this year. How do you fancy his chances for that?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or does it look like OGE will most probably get a better return from the Yates?
I'm thinking Chaves isn't GC material, or at least not for a GT.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I think OGE will probably give him one more year to develop, maybe two if they're feeling generous. Two year from now puts him at 27 though so it's not like he has all the time in the world.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

trevim said:
He strikes me as a new Igor Anton: one of the best climbers on his day, inconsistent as hell and very prone to crashing and getting sick.

Apart from that horrorcrash in 2013, how many times did he crashed the last 2 years?

Lets see what he does in the upcoming Vuelta, will probably tell a lot.

But I agree, he seems kinda fragile. I had high hopes for him last year after he basically was the best of the rest on the first mountain/hilltop finish, but he faded like he always does.

Re:

SergeDeM said:
Is it just me or does it look like OGE will most probably get a better return from the Yates?
I'm thinking Chaves isn't GC material, or at least not for a GT.

I know im biased but I was very confident the Yates brothers would be more successful than Chavez. It seemed in the Giro that he was getting very tired so perhaps is struggling for stamina and recovery over a long GT, of course this can get better with experience and the Giro was very tough. Perhaps next season look to target stage races that the Yates's don't ride and stage hunting in the Vuelta.

Lack of TT power or prowess is the main mitigating factor against Chaves as a GT GC contender. As to whether he will ever be able to climb with the elite guys on a consistent basis has yet to be established but then again, that has yet to be established with either of the Yates.

One positive is that Chaves certainly has seemed to have gelled well with the OGE team vibe/ethos which was perhaps a question mark for a rider from outside the Anglosphere/Low Countries.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Good job Chavez. He picks his victories well. Please keep it coming.

I guess he understand that he is usually very strong during the first week and then fades away the 2nd and 3rd. So he had to do it quickly. Good for him.
Yes,but he didn't race since TdS, I was surprised by his shape.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
very very happy for chavito.
he was in bad shape at the giro after a bad spring with physical problems but some way was able to finish.
he is a very serious and nice guy, an intelligent person from a nice family.
i do not know if he can become a factor in GC , since recovery hab been a problem for him up to know.
anyway great performance today stage win and amarillo jersey.

also orica has to be congratulated because they are doing a great job in growing young riders.
they signed chavito when it was not sure if he would be able to go on with pro cycling and they were able to help him and let him the time to recover.
they did a good job positioning him today for the climb: that his a symptom that the team is believing in chavez and it is a well organized team.
definitely orica the best place to develop young riders like the yates and chavito

TRENDING THREADS