• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really have no idea how Chavito will do in the high mountains, but no matter what, he'll probably do better than most of the riders that are in front of him in the GC. A top 3 looks like a real possibility right now, although another top 5 would be good too.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Chaves has been very good at the start and very poor at the end of GTs in the past. Seems to have poor recovery. Let's wait for his performances in the 3rd week before touting him as a future GT winner

I agree, but this is still a huge step forward. He had never been this strong in a true high mountain stage (let alone one like this!).

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Chaves has been very good at the start and very poor at the end of GTs in the past. Seems to have poor recovery. Let's wait for his performances in the 3rd week before touting him as a future GT winner

He was at 2014 Vuelta & last year's Giro where he was never conceivably a GC contender but I wouldn't have described his last week of last year's Vuelta as being weak. The one area where he did lose time was the ITT.

Yes, he most certainly could most certainly fall apart in the final week but I think the 2015 Vuelta indicated that he COULD go three weeks. Tomorrow will probably tell us whether a podium finish is possible or not.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
He looked super strong today, this was his first really impressive performance in a really hard stage in the high mountains (in an European race), super impressive.
Chaves winning the whole thing would be awesome. :)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Kwibus said:
I didn't expect him to do so well in such long attrition race as today, but this bodes well for him!
Exactly, until today his best results have come on easier stages, that was a pleasant surprise.
He's becoming a well rounded gc contender, great on the short, steep climbs, great in a war of attrition, a good puncher, a great descender, has a great team for TTTs and is getting better and better in ITTs (he did really well in the opening ITT and should be able to limit his losses in a longer one, he was already decent in the 2015 Vuelta ITT), one hell of a rider.
He could be the main favourite at the Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS