• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
DNP-Old said:
When Chaves was as old as Yates is now, he was still fighting for his career after it had nearly abruptly ended in the Trofeo Laigueglia of 2013(!) and 9 out of 10 doctors failed him. But that doesn't fit your agenda me thinks. Or, who knows, maybe you just forgot to mention it.

It was a great come back up to 2016, but he hasn't shown any signs of taking the final tiny step in to the top tier since then. Not sure if it's because he looks younger than he is, or the general assumption that Colombians are climbing superstars, but I don't get the general assumption that Chaves is and always will be better than Orica's other GC men.
What chances has he had since? His whole 2017 season pretty much went up in flames due to a knee tendonitis.

The irony of having two leaders bit MS today - Have one leader and there is an extra three riders who drop back to bring Chaves back to the peleton -
Especially, seeing they got back to about a minute - Anyway Chaves will need to find out why he's had a bad day if he wants to continue being a leader at GT's.

Re:

yaco said:
The irony of having two leaders bit MS today - Have one leader and there is an extra three riders who drop back to bring Chaves back to the peleton -
Especially, seeing they got back to about a minute - Anyway Chaves will need to find out why he's had a bad day if he wants to continue being a leader at GT's.
This!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Like I said, before the Giro I've never seen him with such a bloated face:
18chavesgiro10-990x662.jpg

So it wouldn't surprise me if allergies (or something like that) were already bothering him a bit before that and that the combination of that + sore throat was actually too much for him.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
It's not a case of the bloat face that Santambrogio suffered?
Honestly, that was also one of the first things that crossed my mind,there are a few other guys who also have Santa cheeks, but he never had them before when he was at his best, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually just allergies.

Often times I've seen riders have bad days with no warning or prior indication of illness only to fall sick that following night and wake up ill that next morning. Also, as has already been mentioned, is the after-the-rest-day-blues. That is a fairly common occurrence. Maybe he actually rested with little time spent on his bike keeping his legs loose. He's young yet and will have many opportunities in the future. I hope he's riding the Vuelta.

Chaves loss of time reminded me of the TdF stage back in 2009 (Stage 17) when Cadel Evans lost 29 minutes (he was already about 5 min down) to the Schleck's and Contador for no apparent reason (I suspect his brain had told him on the rest day that 2009 was not his to win and he maybe just gave up). Who knows, Chaves might just bounce back at Innsbruck in September.

Re:

Yingge said:
Chaves loss of time reminded me of the TdF stage back in 2009 (Stage 17) when Cadel Evans lost 29 minutes (he was already about 5 min down) to the Schleck's and Contador for no apparent reason (I suspect his brain had told him on the rest day that 2009 was not his to win and he maybe just gave up). Who knows, Chaves might just bounce back at Innsbruck in September.
I thought he crashed

Scarponi said:
Yingge said:
I thought he crashed

Evans crashed in TdF 2008 and 2010. In 2009 TdF word is he just had bad form. But I don't think anyone could say Chaves had bad form this Giro with what we saw before stage 10.

I remember when Gesink was still a GC rider (seems like eons ago), he also had difficulty when they started the stage straight with a big climb. He'd do specific preperation on the rollers before the stage to avoid getting dropped like a stone. JvdB also had such a problem.
But those guys were both diesels.

Chaves is explosive, so maybe he just had some sort of post restday syndrome

Cookster15 said:
Scarponi said:
Yingge said:
I thought he crashed

Evans crashed in TdF 2008 and 2010. In 2009 TdF word is he just had bad form. But I don't think anyone could say Chaves had bad form this Giro with what we saw before stage 10.

Sounds like hay fever didn't help. Rest day syndrome probably contributed. It always gets one of the GC riders at least.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Like I said, before the Giro I've never seen him with such a bloated face:
18chavesgiro10-990x662.jpg

So it wouldn't surprise me if allergies (or something like that) were already bothering him a bit before that and that the combination of that + sore throat was actually too much for him.
That really looks bloated face. Last year I noticed something during the Tour de France and I thought he was over weight and someone in this forum got very upset at me. But probably he is having some serious issues with allergies. It should not have been a factor during the Tour because it was the middle of the summer but you never know.

TRENDING THREADS