• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Sciatic said:
DNP-Old said:
yaco said:
Will return to Europe for a training camp, then ride P/N, Catalunya, one month in Columbia - Possibly ride Ardennes and then the Giro.
Please, Colombia.

DNP-
I'm always glad to be reminded about the 2nd 'o' in Colombia. I wonder if some people realized it's such an easy slip (even for those of who have an inkling of world geography) for U.S. residents to make because:

Washington, D.C. (District of Columbia)
Columbia, South Carolina (state capitol)
Columbia University
Columbia River(the great river of the western U.S.)
Columbia Sportswear
and many, many more . . .

On the other hand, now, more than in many decades, it's important to understand what the world is beyond this country's borders.
I don't really get this. Surely Columbia is just the anglicized version of Colombia? There's no outrage about saying Germany instead of 'Deutschland' or Spain instead of 'España'. Why can't Colombia be spelt 'Columbia' when writing in English?

Seems a bit insecure. You don't get many Brazilians insisting their country is spelt' Brasil in English.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
When you're talking about a moviestar rather than the team Movistar.

Then I am pretty glad Orca quit their sponsorship. You can't have famous actors and killer whales within the same peloton. If Jaws showed us one thing..

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Pretty sure the official English name for the country Colombia is indeed Colombia.
Well yes, but that's not really the point. The point is why do Colombians care so much what people call their country in English? In German, for example, its called das Kolumbien, in Czech its Kolumbie etc... where are the social media campaigns to change that?

Why the big deal if some English people call it Columbia? Which has its root in the Anglicized version of Columbus.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

DFA123 said:
RedheadDane said:
Pretty sure the official English name for the country Colombia is indeed Colombia.
Well yes, but that's not really the point. The point is why do Colombians care so much what people call their country in English? In German, for example, its called das Kolumbien, in Czech its Kolumbie etc... where are the social media campaigns to change that?

Why the big deal if some English people call it Columbia? Which has its root in the Anglicized version of Columbus.

It is pretty much the point. Let's just call France Frence from now on, because it reminds me of Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow.

Der Effe said:
DFA123 said:
RedheadDane said:

It is pretty much the point. Let's just call France Frence from now on, because it reminds me of Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow.
Is Frence the Anglicized version of France then? :rolleyes:

DFA123 said:
RedheadDane said:

The country is called Colombia in English! Calling it "Columbia" hasn't got anything to do with Anglicized versions; it's just spelling it wrong.
Writing Brazil and Denmark rather than Brasil and Danmark is completely okay, because that's the correct English spelling of those countries.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Der Effe said:
DFA123 said:
RedheadDane said:

Is Frence the Anglicized version of France then? :rolleyes:

Because names, in this respect, are static. The Dutch name for the city of Paris is Parijs, but that the football club - another name that is static - is called Paris Saint-Germain nonetheless. It also shows a clear distinction between two different worlds and cultures. But I don't even know why I am commenting on the cultural ignorance of the English speaking world tbh :eek:

liamito said:
yaco said:
Will return to Europe for a training camp, then ride P/N, Catalunya, one month in Columbia - Possibly ride Ardennes and then the Giro.

You think he finally will get some results in march?

Has adopted a more gradual build in 2018 - Sponsorship commitments in Australia meant he rode a top-heavy schedule early in 2017 which could have lead to knee tendinitis - His form should be OK in March if he avoids cross-winds, gravel and cobbles.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Jspear said:
tobydawq said:
Jspear said:
Yeh soo hav u al everr herd off a riider caled Estaben Chaavez?

No way to spell "a" wrongly?

I feel ashamed! I couldn't think of any....

So is he not racing in February? PCS has him at Paris Nice next....that correct?

'eh', ya big hoser! Anyway, I like seeing Chaves do well and hope it continues through the rest of the season...

TRENDING THREADS