• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yep. Quigley makes mistakes but he is not as bad as Kirby. Come on. I'm assuming people.who say that just have such low expectations for Kirby they don't even realize how bad he is.

Quigley probably knows about as much or more about cycling than 10% of this forum. For Kirby that's more like 3 or 4 %. I'd say for Kelly it's about 60% and by comparison harmonn 45% Dan Lloyd 70% and ligget obviously something under 1%.

Btw harmonn is as bad at working out tts or general races as Quigley. He does the mistake of thinking someone 500m will get the new best time even though they are only 10 seconds out, all the time.*

He also fails with the on screen splits between 2 riders.

And remember when al and Andy had a 3 minute lead on everyone in the tour, let Sanchez and menchov drop them for 5 seconds because they were doing track stands and Harmon was shouting at the top of his lungs that they had just thrown away the tour.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yep. Quigley makes mistakes but he is not as bad as Kirby. Come on. I'm assuming people.who say that just have such low expectations for Kirby they don't even realize how bad he is.

Quigley probably knows about as much or more about cycling than 10% of this forum. For Kirby that's more like 3 or 4 %. I'd say for Kelly it's about 60% and by comparison harmonn 45% Dan Lloyd 70% and ligget obviously something under 1%.

Btw harmonn is as bad at working out tts or general races as Quigley. He does the mistake of thinking someone 500m will get the new best time even though they are only 10 seconds out, all the time.*

He also fails with the on screen splits between 2 riders.

And remember when al and Andy had a 3 minute lead on everyone in the tour, let Sanchez and menchov drop them for 5 seconds because they were doing track stands and Harmon was shouting at the top of his lungs that they had just thrown away the tour.

Did I get it wrong or you think that 30-40% of this forum knows more about cycling than Sean Kelly/Dan Lloyd.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

One of the main things I prefer Harmon over other commentators like Quigley is his enthusiasm. He usually makes a big deal when an important rider is dropped or putting in an attack which I find much more enjoyable than what we've had at this Giro ... so far any major attack has been announced with the same absurd mundane tone you wouldn't think anything interesting was happening.

I can understand why some people think Harmon overdoes it though, usually happens when he doesn't fully know the situation and time gaps etc

Regarding Quigley&Kelly, for the first few stages it was looking promising for Kelly to open up with his commentary and interaction with Quigley but I feel he's gotten more reserved again over the 2nd half of this first week. Not sure this combo is going to work.

the asian said:
Harmon at least is a fan of many riders and talks about them.
The only rider Quigley talks about is Wiggins.

The problem with Quigley is that his man love distorts what is actually occurring in the race. Each failing by Wiggins is described as some form of "tactic" which forms part or a master plan. Which clearly it isn't. Why can't he say that Wiggins is a poor decender and dislikes the rain and thus loses time? It's not difficult to see that Wiggins has strengths in other areas. He doesn't need to pretend he is a perfect bike rider.

the asian said:

Tweet him:)

simo1733 said:
Did I get it wrong or you think that 30-40% of this forum knows more about cycling than Sean Kelly/Dan Lloyd.
Its hard to say because we dont know the full extent of their knowledge.

Kelly knows a lot but has certainly made mistakes.

If you got some of the posters on here to device a quiz on u23 races, or South American races, or match the gt climb to the gradient, do you think those 2 would get the questions right?

Maybe 30% is a bit high though, Those were rough numbers (except ligget, for him its to the nearest 1%)

deValtos said:
One of the main things I prefer Harmon over other commentators like Quigley is his enthusiasm. He usually makes a big deal when an important rider is dropped or putting in an attack which I find much more enjoyable than what we've had at this Giro ... so far any major attack has been announced with the same absurd mundane tone you wouldn't think anything interesting was happening.

Regarding Quigley&Kelly, for the first few stages it was looking promising for Kelly to open up with his commentary and interaction with Quigley but I feel he's gotten more reserved again over the 2nd half of this first week. Not sure this combo is going to work.

Gotta agree and same with Kirby. Both guilty of talking mince a lot, but their passion is sorely missed here.

Pricey_sky said:
Taking a break to do 'other projects'. He will be back for the Tour though thank god.

He was a bit more specific in an interview with VeloVoices:

The company’s (edit: Spokesmen) really starting to take off. We have too much to do but not quite enough to pay for some more people, which is one of the reasons why I’m scaling back on the commentating. But the main reason is my family. I have a 17-year-old son whom I missed seeing grow up and I don’t want that to happen with my six-year-old. I’ve recently moved house – I’m still in Shropshire but it’s a much more accessible location so that I can easily get down to London and back.

In fact, you’re the first person I’ve told this to. I’m ‘single’ again – it’s been coming for a while. It’s all very amicable but I’m seeing somebody whom I love very much and it’s changed my life completely. I’m going to live on my own for a bit and I’m quite nervous about it. I haven’t done it for 25 years, it’s quite scary.

http://velovoices.com/2013/04/26/friday-feature-interview-with-eurosports-david-harmon-part-2/

Reading the interview, it would seem his return will not be at the same level as before. More of the other commentators will be doing races. Pretty sure I heard him say during Turkey he'll be picking and choosing his races in future.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Tweet him:)

Its hard to say because we dont know the full extent of their knowledge.

Kelly knows a lot but has certainly made mistakes.

If you got some of the posters on here to device a quiz on u23 races, or South American races, or match the gt climb to the gradient, do you think those 2 would get the questions right?

Maybe 30% is a bit high though, Those were rough numbers (except ligget, for him its to the nearest 1%)

You would be a fan of Rob Hatch then.He would be pretty good in quiz.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:

+1

Also it seems he is uncomfortable leaving more than half a second of silence without interrupting it with the sound of his own voice. Sometimes a few seconds of silence is good in a sporting event that lasts hours.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Quigley sucks ****, and hes ****in annoying with Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins ****.

No disrespect intended but bring back Harmon with all his flaws.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
nesocip said:
Quigley sucks ****, and hes ****in annoying with Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins ****.

Harmon was better IMO. Anybody know a site where I can watch yesterday's full stage, thanks.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:

He was so confident that wiggins will easily get back to the group on Stage 7.

And btw, for Quigley, Tamouridis = Tomaris (among other names I can't remember now)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
nesocip said:

Hear hear! Quigley is the worst commentator I have ever heard. Even though he spends so long talking about Wiggins he still misses key moments, even if they are about Wiggins. Yesterday he failed to talk about Wiggins getting back on the Nibali group after being dropped. The other day he missed Nibali finishing in the main group ahead of Wiggins. On the time trial he failed to mention the time splits (even for Wiggins) as they were coming through. He seems to start a big long talk about something not important and carry on even when something key happens. He either needs a bigger screen so that he doesnt miss key points or Kelly needs to start interrupting him.

What happened to Harmon?

CycloAndy said:
Hear hear! Quigley is the worst commentator I have ever heard. Even though he spends so long talking about Wiggins he still misses key moments, even if they are about Wiggins. Yesterday he failed to talk about Wiggins getting back on the Nibali group after being dropped. The other day he missed Nibali finishing in the main group ahead of Wiggins. On the time trial he failed to mention the time splits (even for Wiggins) as they were coming through. He seems to start a big long talk about something not important and carry on even when something key happens. He either needs a bigger screen so that he doesnt miss key points or Kelly needs to start interrupting him.

What happened to Harmon?

The commentators missed just how fast Evans' last split was, I thought he was going to lose time Ryder style when the 2nd intermediate split came through. His excellent last split wasn't really picked up on at all. Also QUigley made it sound like every rider was going to finish the last 200 metres in like 10 seconds with the 'splits to beat' he was pointing out - it was at least 30 seconds/rider over that last 200.

Giro comes on an hour later than ES in US so I watch stream for 1st hour; Quigley. Then switch to US tv; Kirby. They both suck LOL. But then yesterday I was treated (Not) to Liggett for ToC and of course the other 2 aren't quite as big idiots!

Bottom line they all leave something to be desired.

While I know I've been praising the Danish commentators quite a bit I actually had to, to me rather awkward, experience of hearing one of them call 'Jamis' "a new team" while I instantly thought "that ain't a new team. I've heard of 'em!"
(Of course Wenzel, being the "USA Expert" quickly corrected him.)