Eurosport commentary

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
7,269
1
0
hatcher said:
Thought of any examples yet?

Maybe that Paris-Roubaix commentary posted on page 1 is a good example of his "wogs begin at Calais" attitude. Perhaps he thought Johan Vansummeren was from Surrey.
Mrs John Murphy said:
Plenty thanks and I've already given them. As I've said before my opinion is based on having listened to him over a number of years and I don't keep a record of every stupid thing he says because if I did it would be longer than war and peace. If you like Harmon then that's probably because his view and your view of the world chime together nicely.

PR is a good example of him thinking emotion is more important than calling the race action.

However, I will credit him where this style was beneficial and where he did a mostly good job and this was on the Stage 4 of the Giro, although he blotted his copybook there with some fairly crass comments about DDL when it was neither then time or the place.
hatcher said:
Oh I see. So his emoting overrides his racism. Gotcha.

You came up with zero examples the last time you trotted out this drivel, and shock horror you'll come up with zero examples this time.

It's funny how often you bring out the "wogs being at Calais" line. I can only begin to imagine how excited you must have got when you realised there was a new thread for you to use it in. Maybe as excited as when you realise you'll get to make the oh so cutting "but I thought Anglo riders don't dope" line for the billionth time today.
Let's leave this one-on-one conversation right here, before the insulting match starts.

On topic please.
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
Ignore 'Mrs John Murphy'. He/she is a forum 'character' - the postings are all extreme reactionary nonsense. Engage in an argument and you'll just get abuse.
 
nesocip said:
Haimar Zubeldia was never mentioned even when he was racking up Top 5 finishes in the Tour. Must be the most media underhyped rider of last 2 decades.

Im forced by geography to listen to Serbian Eurosport commentary for the last 3 years, and before that it was all Harmon&Co for me.

The Serbian guys were absolutely dreadful the first year, one of them an ex semi-pro rider who knows what cycling is about but just doesnt have what it takes to be a commentator, and the other dude a commentator with 0 clue about cycling. I dont need to mention that their rider recognition was next to none.

3 years later, and both of them have improved immensely. You cant call them good yet, but they are getting there slowly. They tell riders apart better then i do myself and they actually make those dull flat sprint stages more manageable with their commentary.

It just takes some research, a little brain and a lot of experience to become an useful cycling commentator.
Thats a great story. Must be pleasant to have seen the commentators learn and improve over the years. Learn more about this thing of ours and its riders.
 
Mar 17, 2009
158
0
0
It's worth having Kirby around just for the occasional groaner he slips in. His bit the other day about riding over "Bob's Breakfast" (the 'Cold Croissant Robert') was cute, but even niftier was his signoff after Stage Three--"Farrar, narrowly snatching victory from the jaws of Feillu." Delightfully sly.
 
Jul 25, 2010
372
0
0
I used to find Kelly rather hard to understand, it's only been the past year or so that i've gotten used to his voice. Man knows his stuff.

I like Harmon, he's getting better all the time. Cycling commentary must be very hard but I could listen to those two talk for hours.
 
Apr 26, 2010
1,035
0
0
Russian commentary on Eurosport is simply amazing:

- Kurdyukov's voice and overall attitude is highly energizing, he can make curling exciting, let alone cycling
- he casually speaks italian, french and english
- during the long race he usually tells the history of every given church, village, castle, river, town, road, mill, lake or monument that the race passes by at the moment, often advising what to do and where to go to and what to eat if you want to go to this particular region
- of course his actual cycling commentary is great as well
- constant communication with the audience by twitter live
- each stage he calls someone to discuss the events of the race live (yesterday, for instance it was Ernesto Colnago, before that he spoke to Abdoujaparov) or to russian speaking Astana or Katyusha or Radioshack's DSs.

When watching english streams you get bored really quick and just simple commentary of just race events feels too bare for someone who got used to russian eurosport.
 
Kelly is brilliant. He is easily the most informative cycling analyst and I have listened to them all over the years. He tells it how it is and as others have said has no ego about admiting if he got something wrong. I also like the way he is happy to admit that cycing is unpredictable...that's why we have to wait for the finish!

I don't have a problem with the other two - it's kind of light entertainment!

T
 
I like Harmon when he's unbiased............:rolleyes:
but seriously- Kelly is very precised & spot on with his analysis--just happens that his voice sounds a bit raw to me-even after listening to him for many years......

I do love when Stephen Roche pops in--he's delightful to listen & very entertaining-hope he could do commenting for them more often....


Since the Spanish Eurosport isn't as good as it should be-I listen a lot Perico & Carlos de Andres from RTVE-even with their legendary "on-air" disagreements, they have a good show every time the tour starts.
 
Jul 27, 2009
13
0
0
Harmon + Kelly is certainly the best combo I've come across.

Harmon certainly has his faults, notably the tendency to go "Whoooooaahhh ....!" whenever anyone attacks or "Oooohhhh ...!" if someone has a dodgy moment on a descent, even on the replay! His obsession with "bike handling skills" and descending prowess also gets a little tiresome (he obviously sees himself as some sort of expert in this field "being an mountain biker"). But he is pretty good at recognising riders, knowing their characteristics and interpreting what's going on, unlike many comentators.

Kelly is great as a counterpoint; knows his stuff, gives an unbiased opinion and doesn't fall into the "everything was better in my day" trap that a lot of ex-riders do.

Carlton Kirby irritates the hell out of me. He obviously thinks he's hilarious with his "amusing" anecdotes and lets us all know it by chuckling away at his own jokes. Plus his wheeling out of stock phrases "it's now or never", "there's a big push here", "the team is well-marshalled" etc. regardless of whether they apply annoys me mightily. If he's lead commentator on a race then it's almost enough to stop me watching it.

But anything's better than P&P.
 
orange_lycra said:
Harmon + Kelly is certainly the best combo I've come across.

Harmon certainly has his faults, notably the tendency to go "Whoooooaahhh ....!" whenever anyone attacks or "Oooohhhh ...!" if someone has a dodgy moment on a descent, even on the replay! His obsession with "bike handling skills" and descending prowess also gets a little tiresome (he obviously sees himself as some sort of expert in this field "being an mountain biker"). But he is pretty good at recognising riders, knowing their characteristics and interpreting what's going on, unlike many comentators.

Kelly is great as a counterpoint; knows his stuff, gives an unbiased opinion and doesn't fall into the "everything was better in my day" trap that a lot of ex-riders do.

Carlton Kirby irritates the hell out of me. He obviously thinks he's hilarious with his "amusing" anecdotes and lets us all know it by chuckling away at his own jokes. Plus his wheeling out of stock phrases "it's now or never", "there's a big push here", "the team is well-marshalled" etc. regardless of whether they apply annoys me mightily. If he's lead commentator on a race then it's almost enough to stop me watching it.

But anything's better than P&P.
I enjoy eurosports commentating Sean Kelly is the most unbiased informed commentator around for me. Carlton Kirby is very enthusiastic and his knowledge of the sport he growing by the day, although he does say some cringe inducing stuff.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
rxgqgxnyfz said:
Russian commentary on Eurosport is simply amazing:

- Kurdyukov's voice and overall attitude is highly energizing, he can make curling exciting, let alone cycling
- he casually speaks italian, french and english
- during the long race he usually tells the history of every given church, village, castle, river, town, road, mill, lake or monument that the race passes by at the moment, often advising what to do and where to go to and what to eat if you want to go to this particular region
- of course his actual cycling commentary is great as well
- constant communication with the audience by twitter live
- each stage he calls someone to discuss the events of the race live (yesterday, for instance it was Ernesto Colnago, before that he spoke to Abdoujaparov) or to russian speaking Astana or Katyusha or Radioshack's DSs.

When watching english streams you get bored really quick and just simple commentary of just race events feels too bare for someone who got used to russian eurosport.
What did they say about Kolobnev?
 
Apr 1, 2009
187
0
0
Gott say i love Harmon & Kelly. Even Kirbys in on the act with the tongue in cheek gags. I doubt they tale themselves that seriously either. They keep the thing rolling along & fair play to them over 3 to 4 hours.
By the way anyone here ever met Harmon? Sounds like a bloke you could have a Beer with & a chinwag.
 
THe ES panelists on the other hand are a joke.

This bald guy has been asked twice about Peter Velits and does not on either occasion mention the Vuelta.

Why is Peter Velits seen as a contender?

"Because i saw him 4 years ago and he is a young rider like Gerraint Thomas".

Umm I would rank beating J Rod at the Vuelta a bigger reason, but what do i know.

They also keep talking about Evans being the favourite but say Samu isnt someone that ever had a chance of winning.

And according to ES betting websites base their odds on these guys.

What a joke.
 
The Hitch said:
THe ES panelists on the other hand are a joke.

This bald guy has been asked twice about Peter Velits and does not on either occasion mention the Vuelta.

Why is Peter Velits seen as a contender?

"Because i saw him 4 years ago and he is a young rider like Gerraint Thomas".

Umm I would rank beating J Rod at the Vuelta a bigger reason, but what do i know.

They also keep talking about Evans being the favourite but say Samu isnt someone that ever had a chance of winning.

And according to ES betting websites base their odds on these guys.

What a joke.
I'm guessing the bald glasses wearing Cav fanboy? As opposed to Magnus. Yesterday he was saying he expects BMC to be the dominant team in the mountains.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,384
0
0
Tony Gibb is a gorilla. Christ only knows why ES have invited him back. Magnus must be otherwise engaged. I've never met a more arrogant and conceited cyclist than Gibb.

John Herety at least is a a current Pro Continental DS and has ridden the Classics as a pro. His insight at Paris Roubaix this year definitely informed the viewers during the race. Perhaps he's not a GT pundit but he's certainly not all bad. Yes, he's an unashamed Cav fan but I'm not going to hold that against him. In my opinion, he and Backstedt are the two best 'pundits' available to ES.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts