• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Luis Piçarra and Co. saying Bari does frontier with Germany and that's the reason lots of German players are in football teams of that region.

They said Albania, but doesn't make frontier too ;)

Matt Stephens has learned well from the master Kirby:

Matt: I'm going to give you one little fact of the day, it's a little golden nugget. We passed through Livermore earlier on in the stage, and this city Brian is home to a 4 watt lightbulb in the fire station that has been lit since 1901.
Brian Smith: What was that?
Matt: It's a lightbulb that has been lit since 1901, making it the world's longest lasting lightbulb.
Brian: How long?
Matt: Over 100 years.

Don't know if anyone noticed but Brian Smith's voice audio had a horrible echo on the MT Diablo stage last night. Just re watched it. Still there!

Maybe because i'm a music producer by trade but I found it incredibly distracting.

Ambient sounds should be from the motos and heli cams. Dont put the commentators in a cave, it sounds awful.

Didn't seem to be effecting Matt's commentary tho.

Shame as they are one of the better commentary pairings....

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Commentary on cali stage to Diablo was a ****ing joke. Starting to realise that Matt Stephens goes over the same old cliche comments time and time again.

The smoke he was blowing up Wiggins **** on final climb was extremely irritating.

End result was that Wiggins was dropped. That's not a criticism of Wiggins but it makes the commentary sound stupid.

Stephens quickly becoming another poor commentator.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Do like the guy doing Eurosport Giro today. Rob Hatch. Comes across very well indeed. Coupled with Kelly, goes down well.

These ex uk riders they keep rolling out cant do the job.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Matt Stephens favourite words. SUBLIME and RESPLENDENT.

Possibly worse than Kirby's. WELCOME TO THE PARTY and his over the top build up to the finish that starts 10 k to early.

arvc40 said:
Do like the guy doing Eurosport Giro today. Rob Hatch. Comes across very well indeed. Coupled with Kelly, goes down well.

These ex uk riders they keep rolling out cant do the job.

He called Niemec as the winner today. If you're going to guess at least go with the favourite ! And if you do get it wrong it's better to admit it rather than try to pretend that Niemec led him out

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of Matt Stephens and Brian Smith, I'd rather it was Kelly and Harmon. That entire exchange about the light bulb was hilarious though.

arvc40 said:
Commentary on cali stage to Diablo was a ****ing joke. Starting to realise that Matt Stephens goes over the same old cliche comments time and time again.

The smoke he was blowing up Wiggins **** on final climb was extremely irritating.

End result was that Wiggins was dropped. That's not a criticism of Wiggins but it makes the commentary sound stupid.

Stephens quickly becoming another poor commentator.

I watched the highlights this morning & couldn't believe the Wiggins @zz kissing/ worshiping done by Stephens during the climb-I had a headache by it-seriously!!

hfer07 said:
I watched the highlights this morning & couldn't believe the Wiggins @zz kissing/ worshiping done by Stephens during the climb-I had a headache by it-seriously!!

He won a grand tour less than two years ago, is the Olympic Time trial champion and was runner up in the Worlds TT in September. He put nearly a minute into his closest rival in a TT the day before. He was a shambles in 2013 and may be getting back close to his best form.

There are worse riders to kiss the **** of.

argyllflyer said:
He won a grand tour less than two years ago, is the Olympic Time trial champion and was runner up in the Worlds TT in September. He put nearly a minute into his closest rival in a TT the day before. He was a shambles in 2013 and may be getting back close to his best form.

There are worse riders to kiss the **** of.

but nobody is questioning Wiggins Palmares- The matter is about the commentators not being professional enough to balance their personal favoritism & the overall commentary- We only want them to report what is happening in the race without reaching the absurd level of worshiping done lately- I do understand they work for "British ES" and therefore is natural for them to praise the UK riders- but it happens that a lot of people around the world bother watching the broadcast since they're anglophone as well, & quite frankly there is no other source available to rely on/watch the races -So unless you speak another language (which I do) it appears we're currently stuck with them & sadly have to tune another channel....

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
He called Niemec as the winner today. If you're going to guess at least go with the favourite ! And if you do get it wrong it's better to admit it rather than try to pretend that Niemec led him out

Mistakes are ok. Don't want my skin to crawl though.

hfer07 said:
but nobody is questioning Wiggins Palmares- The matter is about the commentators not being professional enough to balance their personal favoritism & the overall commentary- We only want them to report what is happening in the race without reaching the absurd level of worshiping done lately- I do understand they work for "British ES" and therefore is natural for them to praise the UK riders- but it happens that a lot of people around the world bother watching the broadcast since they're anglophone as well, & quite frankly there is no other source available to rely on/watch the races -So unless you speak another language (which I do) it appears we're currently stuck with them & sadly have to tune another channel....

If all he can see on the screen is Wiggins there isn't a lot he can do

Eyeballs Out said:

Second day in a row he cocked up the finish. Mistook Veelers for Mezgec on Tuesday. The difference in quality (knowledge) between the Sporza commentators and the British Eurosport guys is frightening.