• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Beacon Hill said:
Pretty certain Carlton Kirby mentioned during the final stage in Turkey that Hatch and Kelly are doing the Giro.

Yeah I've seen Rob Hatch mention he was doing it but hadn't seen the co-commentator confirmed, though Sean does all three grand tours and little else (bar P-N and the odd classic) for Eurosport.

Not sure Vesica's point - I updated commentators for Tour de Yorkshire and the Dowsett hour.

I'm assuming Eurosport will go with last year's allocation for the busy week ahead - Kirby otherwise engaged in Italy, Hatch for Giro, Stephens for California, Quigley for Quatre Jours... and Harris-Bass for Azerbaijan.

I see from the stage thread that those watching live coverage were very unhappy with the Italian live pictures dwelling unduly on a stricken Pozzovivo. By contrast, the Eurosport evening highlights showed nothing until he was in an ambulance, and some reassurance was possible for anyone who had not previously read updates on his condition. Good edit.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
I see from the stage thread that those watching live coverage were very unhappy with the Italian live pictures dwelling unduly on a stricken Pozzovivo. By contrast, the Eurosport evening highlights showed nothing until he was in an ambulance, and some reassurance was possible for anyone who had not previously read updates on his condition. Good edit.

The RCS 3min package highlights seemed to find shots I didn't see in the live broadcast which seemed a bit distasteful. You've 3 minutes to summarise the day and manage to get in 3 shots of a rider (a) going down, (b) lying possibly dead (for all we knew at the time) in a pool of blood and (c) being put into an ambulance looking terrible. I felt sick watching the coverage live and it was no better repeated. Hope to never see it again. BBC's Matt Slater, who is on-site I believe, made a facebook post that suggested an 'experienced' commentator had a go at the producer about the footage used during the stage. I assume this was Kirby. His tweet yesterday seems to back that up:

Still in a bit of shock after Pozzovivo. @daniellloyd1 and I fighting tears today. Sorry if that got in the way. Hate seeing such pics

Agree on Matt Stephens / Rob Hatch combo - I generally like Matt as lead or summariser. Good versatility!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I recommend to watch Rai internet coverage, they have Diretta cam + 2 moto cams + 2 heli cams live.Its awesome, and esp for mounatain stages it will be useful.

After few days you'll understand those italians cycling words :D

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I do not subscribe to Eurosport and after seeing their coverage via 'Steephill' on my computer, I have no desire to ever subscribe. I'm not sure who is providing the main commentary but he is awful! He insists on putting on a false 'foreign' accent when pronouncing riders' names and places en route. He sounds ridiculous - rather like the policeman in the BBC comedy 'allo 'allo! I dialled up the Italian stream and not only were the pictures crystal clear but the Italian commentary (which I did not understand) was easier to listen to than the Eurospeak.

Re:

Celeste said:
I do not subscribe to Eurosport and after seeing their coverage via 'Steephill' on my computer, I have no desire to ever subscribe. I'm not sure who is providing the main commentary but he is awful! He insists on putting on a false 'foreign' accent when pronouncing riders' names and places en route. He sounds ridiculous - rather like the policeman in the BBC comedy 'allo 'allo! I dialled up the Italian stream and not only were the pictures crystal clear but the Italian commentary (which I did not understand) was easier to listen to than the Eurospeak.

Rob Hatch, and he'd claim it was the actual pronunciation rather than an anglicised version of it. Give me that than for arguments sake some football commentator pronouncing James Rodriguez the way it reads like what happened in the World Cup.

Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
Celeste said:

Rob Hatch, and he'd claim it was the actual pronunciation rather than an anglicised version of it. Give me that than for arguments sake some football commentator pronouncing James Rodriguez the way it reads like what happened in the World Cup.
#
Hatch is ridiculous and impossible to listen to ...its not pronunciation ...its an exaggerated accent and its so annoying ...I cancelled my Eurosport sub because of it ...I have also pointed it out to him but he wasn't having any of it
What makes it ridiculous
He only does it for Italian & Spanish riders and a few French but not German, Dutch etc
He still manages to pronounce many riders names incorrectly - non Italians/Spanish
He forgets to do it when the action is on but does it again when things are slow. when action is on he reverts to his Yorkshire accent and Formolo is no longer FOOOORRRMOOOOLOOOOOO
He says its about pronunciation but its about exaggeration and showing off. Like his pronuncation of Sinatra or Tenerife on Monday
No one but a pompous eejit would talk like he does ...he is trying to be something he is not
I have an ear for accents and music and I cannot listen to him ever again...It like a dog listening to a high pitch whistle

HelloDolly said:
argyllflyer said:
Celeste said:

#
Hatch is ridiculous and impossible to listen to ...its not pronunciation ...its an exaggerated accent and its so annoying ...I cancelled my Eurosport sub because of it ...I have also pointed it out to him but he wasn't having any of it
What makes it ridiculous
He only does it for Italian & Spanish riders and a few French but not German, Dutch etc
He still manages to pronounce many riders names incorrectly - non Italians/Spanish
He forgets to do it when the action is on but does it again when things are slow. when action is on he reverts to his Yorkshire accent and Formolo is no longer FOOOORRRMOOOOLOOOOOO
He says its about pronunciation but its about exaggeration and showing off. Like his pronuncation of Sinatra or Tenerife on Monday
No one but a pompous eejit would talk like he does ...he is trying to be something he is not
I have an ear for accents and music and I cannot listen to him ever again...It like a dog listening to a high pitch whistle

I can take the slightly over-exaggerated pronunciation. Least he's trying. Indeed, it's better than Matt Stephens and his maGlia rose-a. That 'g' drives me mad. Otherwise I like MS. Carlton Kirby is…an acquired taste I haven't yet got.

What I can't stand is the Sky obsession of many of the Eurosport team. MS and RH aren't too bad thus far, but CK is so terrible, I almost cancelled my subscription. When the action really hots up, I shouldn't be surprised to hear more about Froome not being in the Giro or what the racing all means for Froome in the Tour or something, rather than what's actually going on in the race.

What I can't stand is the Sky obsession of many of the Eurosport team. MS and RH aren't too bad thus far, but CK is so terrible, I almost cancelled my subscription. When the action really hots up, I shouldn't be surprised to hear more about Froome not being in the Giro or what the racing all means for Froome in the Tour or something, rather than what's actually going on in the race.

Is that not down to audience though? To what countries does say the British Eurosport coverage of the Giro go to? I've noticed that when they acknowledge an audience watching in Australia (which is not every race), they focus on Aussie riders too. I'd guess their priority would be to focus on riders from countries they broadcast to, not to all countries where people can watch Eurosport Player. What countries get Eurosport International with English commentary?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
For British viewers its Hobson's Choice when it comes to commentators (particularly in the absence of David Harmon) but Hatch is far more palatable than the excruciating Kirby.

Re:

Jaunty Monty said:
For British viewers its Hobson's Choice when it comes to commentators (particularly in the absence of David Harmon) but Hatch is far more palatable than the excruciating Kirby.

I dunno...one is as bad as the other for different reason

Pity Harmon cannot be brought back....I don't mind Quigley , Stephens,etc

Hatch today when Contador on the podium ....brought up the issue of Contador and needles