• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JPM London said:
He's very well worth listening to! They've been using Look Mum No Hands on Old Street in London - a proper cycling cafe where they show the races on big screen - as a studio quite a bit. They probably mention it during the program, but I've not been paying that much attention to it - just noticed it a couple of times.

Dan Lloyd to the Tour 2013! :)

The venue for ITV4's new Cycling Show I think, starting Monday at 8pm.

Harmon the great Cycling Expert

Harmons Classic today - Sean Kelly comments that having Nibali in the breakaway is not good and will lead to Sky closing it down 'big time'. Harmon says 'I have to disagree with you there Sean'

Valverde has a word with Nibali and sure enough as Sean said Nibali slows to the peloton. Harmon then pretends no-one heard his earlier denial and proceeds to reiterate and embelish upon Kelly's correct assesment of the situation as though it was his comment.

What a wazzuck he is !!

Cycle Chic said:
Harmons Classic today - Sean Kelly comments that having Nibali in the breakaway is not good and will lead to Sky closing it down 'big time'. Harmon says 'I have to disagree with you there Sean'

Valverde has a word with Nibali and sure enough as Sean said Nibali slows to the peloton. Harmon then pretends no-one heard his earlier denial and proceeds to reiterate and embelish upon Kelly's correct assesment of the situation as though it was his comment.

What a wazzuck he is !!

He never admits he is wrong, probably his biggest failing.

I switched to Russian commentary after listening La Planche stage for 5 minutes... Commentators were talking about how historic the stage will be, it's the first time there, final climb is tough etc. forgetting to add the route is crap. Russian commentary was miles better.

argyllflyer said:
He never admits he is wrong, probably his biggest failing.

He can do. He mentioned a few bits and pieces about the women's race during Flanders 2011, and mentioned where Vos went away, only to rather sheepishly state a few minutes later that it was in fact where Vos went away to finish second because Grace Verbeke was already up the road, and apologised for having forgotten a Belgian winner in this most Belgian of races.

James Richardson is quite good - at least he mentions doping and makes the odd smirky face at the camera and asks awkward questions.

They are all good apart from the OLD brigade - Harmon and Kirby. Kirby is certifiable enough said.

Harmon - there are 200 riders in a peloton and he only talks about 6 of them...he is such a lazy commentator - he comments on the same riders every day....god I am so sick of hearing his voice say Wiggins, Nibali, Cadel Evans, Tejay Van Garderen, Van den Broeck.

There are 200 riders in the peloton (150 now)....he is so lazy and does no research into the French, Italian, Spanish riders...have we ever heard him tell us a bit about Marcus Burghardt 'the rider in the yellow shoes', ?? or Arashiro for Europcar..or one of the Sojasun riders or any Euskaltel rider....

Yes its a long time to commentate on a race when like this year there is NOTHING HAPPENING...but the Kirby / Harmon 'arent we a classic funny commentating duo' is old hat and boring. He gets paid a lot of money and should find different and more informative information for the viewer.

Libertine Seguros said:
He can do. He mentioned a few bits and pieces about the women's race during Flanders 2011, and mentioned where Vos went away, only to rather sheepishly state a few minutes later that it was in fact where Vos went away to finish second because Grace Verbeke was already up the road, and apologised for having forgotten a Belgian winner in this most Belgian of races.

I could do a 'Harmonism' and ignore this post but I won't! :D

gooner said:
They had a studio in that place for a few stages including yesterday. It would be great to hear more of Dan Lloyd in the coming years on Eurosport.

I'd prefer to hear more about him in the peloton for a few more years first :)

argyllflyer said:
The venue for ITV4's new Cycling Show I think, starting Monday at 8pm.

Ah, I thought I caught a trailer for that at some point - hard to keep focus when you're both working and keeping track of the race...

guncha said:
I switched to Russian commentary after listening La Planche stage for 5 minutes... Commentators were talking about how historic the stage will be, it's the first time there, final climb is tough etc. forgetting to add the route is crap. Russian commentary was miles better.

That obviously works best when one understands Russian - although no doubt some people would argue it's still an improvement regardless!

Woo got on tv :p

AyVpnNzCUAAaC6H.jpg

Loads of stuff got thrown up in the air in all the cheering and a hat landed on the floor. The Basque guy sat next to me I was talking to put it on me.

Jeriko said:
Was the guy sat behind Lloyd and Herety with the long on top/shaved everywhere else hairdo as scary as he looked on TV? He had proper death eyes.

What were the guys like in between their broadcasts?

Not sure. If it was the guy wearing a cycling cap whilst not cycling he looked a bit of a weirdo.

They mostly keep to themselves, talk to a few mates/staff that are with them. They won the quiz though (21/26). James Richardson is friendly, talked to him the other day and today he said "thanks for adding some colour to the background, Roma fan".

Carlton Kirby

If you want a laugh watch the Weightlifting on Eurosport - its Carlton Kirby fluffing his way through as only he can manage....I thought his cycling commentary was bad but this is classic **** up in full flow.

What is this guy doing on the TV ??:confused:

Cycle Chic said:
If you want a laugh watch the Weightlifting on Eurosport - its Carlton Kirby fluffing his way through as only he can manage....I thought his cycling commentary was bad but this is classic **** up in full flow.

What is this guy doing on the TV ??:confused:

I don't mind him actually commentating on cycling but his 3rd leg tour stuff is guff.

btw, hes doing work for itv now, but he did some for ES before and from the moment i heard him, i thought dan lloyd is awessome.

Best english commentator i heard, cant make the step up to main commentator for Es or even better ITV tdf coverage, soon enough.

The Hitch said:
btw, hes doing work for itv now, but he did some for ES before and from the moment i heard him, i thought dan lloyd is awessome.

Best english commentator i heard, cant make the step up to main commentator for Es or even better ITV tdf coverage, soon enough.

Agree completely.

Harmon

David Harmon got into his usual:-

' he's off the back, he's off the back.....'

'he's completely blown,..yes he's gone, caput,....nothing left in the tank....oh dear oh dear'

Today it was poor Gesink getting it.....every day he loves yelling it at some rider.

Well hello David - they are knackered because thats NORMAL. Abnormal is seeing the same guys caning it everyday and we all know why that is :rolleyes: