• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 273 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Like I wrote; he seems to be quite unpopular (among other Danish posters).
Or, seemed. Hard to comment on US races, when there are no (major) US races.

He also commented on other stuff, including women's races, but I also think people hated hims as much as Danish football fans hated listening to Mark Strudal. It had nothing to do with clinic stuff, though, which I assume is what ManicJack is referring to.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Most Belgian broadcasters tend to be allright. On the VRT you have Karl Vannieuwekerke (journalist) , José De Cauwer(ex-rider), Sven Nys (ex-rider) or Renaat Schotte (journalist) for the mens. Ine Beyen mostly does the women's alongside sports journalist Ruben Van Gucht.
VTM has Michel Wuyts (journalist) alongside Jan Bakelants.
Eurosport mainly has Jeroen Vanbellegehm who is tolerable alongside some Dutch person because otherwise the Flemish would turn in to Eurosport France.
Jolien D'hoore, Tom Boonen, Bert De Backer or Stijn Steels also turn up frequently on one of the broadcasters mentioned above. Of those Steels is probably the least talented and Boonen has (and it pains me to say) a very thick accent. Otherwise they're pretty decent all of them.
The latest addition has been Sep Vanmarcke, and he's pretty good, his huge racing knowledge really shows and even tho he has a strong accent which you can see in all his interviews he can effordlessly switch to "Tussentaal" which is the common variant of Dutch spoken on Belgian TV.

Edit: José De Cauwer is pretty much a national treasure at this point. I image riots will break loose if he's forced to retire.
Sounds like you have it pretty good (for commentators) there. Thanks.

There was a classic example of what we talk about as the Discovery/Eurosport teams failings at the Giro today.

40km from the finish Blythe secures an interview with Lidl Trek in the 2nd car, and asks why the peloton are keeping the breakaway on such a short leash.

The DS in the car says well the finale has alot of turns, technical, so we need to keep in sight of them.

Fine no problem with that or the interview, even if it descended into Blythe showing off his ciclimino jersey.

Robbie McEwen instantly goes into what is that DS talking about, has he not looked at the roadbook, there are only 2 turns in the last 10km, 6 turns in the last 20km.

Blythe later on provides an update on the finish approach,hey guys this finish has alot of roundabouts and some of its quite narrow, watch out for incidents.

Last 7km of the race everyone on comms is going on and on and on about the twisty turn & tight nature of the finale...

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like Dutch Eurosport. Very relaxed atmosphere, less declamatory and theatrical than the Germans or English. I generally prefer the Dutch style of commentating, even in 2006 during the soccer World Cup I watched NOS rather than German TV when possible.
Probably quite similar here with Finnish Eurosport. We’ve got a legend Peter Selin doing the races. He usually has his son or some retired pro or semi-pro (Jussi Veikkanen, Kimmo Kananen) with him.

I don’t particularly like the way in which some (English) commentators try to fill in and hype up every boring moment of the race. Like, we have eyes, you don’t need to tell us that someone is taking a turn or turning his/her pedals. Finnish style is more conversational during these periods.

The only issue is that Selin is already over 70 yo. Not doing the smaller races anymore, and sometimes the age starts to show. Sadly, no real replacement in sight yet when he eventually retires. That’ll be a sad day for the Finnish scene.

No doubt there are millions of Eurosport viewers who, like me, are gripped by the Prediction competitions between the studio presenters / pundits and tune in every day on the edge of their seats to find out who everyone has picked. The banter is absolutely unwatchable unmissable. Oh how we laughed when Dan Lloyd picked someone who wasn't even in the race. I do, however, think that we need a way to follow the competition more easily during the race. Can I suggest perhaps Eurosport could get the riders to wear different coloured jerseys if they are picked by one of the experts so that we can easily spot them during the race (e.g. Adam's pick could wear a Hawaiian shirt). Or at least have live on-screen graphics with the live time gaps between Orla's pick (hooray) and Robbie's pick (boooo)

Probably quite similar here with Finnish Eurosport. We’ve got a legend Peter Selin doing the races. He usually has his son or some retired pro or semi-pro (Jussi Veikkanen, Kimmo Kananen) with him.

I don’t particularly like the way in which some (English) commentators try to fill in and hype up every boring moment of the race. Like, we have eyes, you don’t need to tell us that someone is taking a turn or turning his/her pedals. Finnish style is more conversational during these periods.

The only issue is that Selin is already over 70 yo. Not doing the smaller races anymore, and sometimes the age starts to show. Sadly, no real replacement in sight yet when he eventually retires. That’ll be a sad day for the Finnish scene.
Great to have someone like that. Unfortunately, over here (U.S.) the hyperbolic commentary is rampant throughout most mainstream sport broadcasting.

No doubt there are millions of Eurosport viewers who, like me, are gripped by the Prediction competitions between the studio presenters / pundits and tune in every day on the edge of their seats to find out who everyone has picked. The banter is absolutely unwatchable unmissable. Oh how we laughed when Dan Lloyd picked someone who wasn't even in the race. I do, however, think that we need a way to follow the competition more easily during the race. Can I suggest perhaps Eurosport could get the riders to wear different coloured jerseys if they are picked by one of the experts so that we can easily spot them during the race (e.g. Adam's pick could wear a Hawaiian shirt). Or at least have live on-screen graphics with the live time gaps between Orla's pick (hooray) and Robbie's pick (boooo)
Tee-hee 🤩

Reactions: wirral
A great victory for equality on British Eurosport today as Jose Been showed us that you can also be biased towards Belgians by being absolutely certain that Nys had a mechanical in Norway when he was dropped and later going on to question Vacek‘s tactics with Brian Smith because Vacek didn‘t drop back to help.
I hate the fact that I have to put up with Been and Kirby on a weekly basis. And you would think you get a rest from their disastrous commentary in the winter but no, they have to ruin ice skating aswell... :mad:

The chemistry between José Been and Brian Smith is hilariously bad
Love Smith just calling out Been for making up ***.
"Hagenes won tthe Munsterland Giro, which is famously a sprint race"
"Actually, he won it solo, I was commentating."

Still can't believe this woman somehow stays on the job after all the *** she pulls. Who remembers that up untill five years ago france didn't have street names?
I wonder where the Tour finished in 2018, a road in Paris?

For the multi-lingual folks on here, are there some particularly good announcers/commentators on non-English broadcasts? Just curious.
It hurts my feelings to say but Alberto Contador, is good overall. He speaks w riders, audience, team directors and others w great background and he starts on high, doesn't ask stupid questions. the teams. He doesn't do the American thing of explaining the benefits of drafting or what a peloton is. Juan Antonio Flecha is good, same with Pedro Delgado who has a decent sense of humor.