• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good news. He said he'll do a recon of the cobbled Tour stage, along with the Alps and Pyrenees :)
It might mean nothing but I think it's a good sign he cares about that stage and isn't indifferent about it.

Also he's been in Innsbruck after Romandie and went to see the World's courses. He'll target both the ITT and the RR there.

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

The #Giro101 is about to start but this might still be the best photo of the day. @rogla in Austria, doing recon of the @ibk_tirol2018 World Champs course while visiting his old hunting grounds..

DcRthaWWAAAkSWe.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/mrconde/status/992038637893246976

I wonder how Primož would have fared on today's Giro TT, I think it would've suited him.

Re:

tobydawq said:
I think Roglic will go for the Tour GC - maybe he won't admit to it beforehand but I'm sure that these two victories in País Vasco and Romandy have made him and his team realise just what he is capable of. Which is quite a lot more than they would have thought before this year where he hadn't exactly excelled in GC battles in mountainous terrain.

With him being the dominant TT'er amongst the very best climbers, it is evident for everybody and his dog that Roglic now has the abilities required of a GC rider (also in GTs). Whether or not he will succeed in the Tour is another question but I definitely think they will want to try. But there is no need for them to put too much pressure on him by saying that he will aim for such and such on GC - it's fine to keep those thoughts inwardly at first.

I don't think he has earned that crown yet.

Me personally I'd much rather have him winning or trying to win the one week races, than trying for three week tours and end up anonymous like Aru or similar. You also need a good amount of luck and team support to really contest. I guess sticking to what you are good at, just like Quickstep have specialized in winning stages and are doing so very successfully.

Re:

Lequack said:
Me personally I'd much rather have him winning or trying to win the one week races, than trying for three week tours and end up anonymous like Aru or similar. You also need a good amount of luck and team support to really contest. I guess sticking to what you are good at, just like Quickstep have specialized in winning stages and are doing so very successfully.
I think the team is going to at least try and find out where they are with him on GC. They don't have anything to lose.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
yaco said:
I expect he will ride for GC and expect at least a top 5 if he can go the distance - And he will have decent support at the TDF.
He isn't Jumbo's leader nor is he targeting a GC. 2019 is the likely the year they'll unleash him for a GT GC.

Roglic can do a soft GC as many a rider has done in the past - The aim will be to keep in GC until the first rest day and then see what happens - I suggest that Kruiswiljk is the de-facto leader.

yaco said:
DNP-Old said:
yaco said:
I expect he will ride for GC and expect at least a top 5 if he can go the distance - And he will have decent support at the TDF.
He isn't Jumbo's leader nor is he targeting a GC. 2019 is the likely the year they'll unleash him for a GT GC.

Roglic can do a soft GC as many a rider has done in the past - The aim will be to keep in GC until the first rest day and then see what happens - I suggest that Kruiswiljk is the de-facto leader.

Well all the stages until the first rest day are flat, so the only differences are probably going to be in the Team TT.

Lequack said:
yaco said:
DNP-Old said:
yaco said:

Well all the stages until the first rest day are flat, so the only differences are probably going to be in the Team TT.
This is not true. The 4th stage is hilly, the 5th ends on Mur de Bretagne and the 8th has cobbled sectors. If we add the before mentioned TTT, wind in some stages and inevitable crashes, gaps will be made between GC riders until the first rest day.

Gesink said in an interview I've read a couple of days ago that both Kruijswijk and Rogla will go for GC in the Tour. At least from the start. Then the road will decide the tactics going forward. I think it's a wise decision. You don't win Pais Vasco and Romandie in dominant fashion only to go and lose time on purpose in the first week of the Tour. There's no point in that. You try and stay with the best as long as possible. If he loses too much time that's unfortunate. Then he needs to change his objectives and chase stage wins. There'll be enough opportunities for that even if he stays high on GC. There's no pressure on him to do a good GC, but if he manages, then great. Either way he'll have a great Tour in my opinion. Just no crashes in the first week please.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
How many riders will Slovenia have at the WC?
They could have a pretty cool squad, him, Spilak and Mohoric (and maybe Tratnik)
Usually they have six riders. I'm not sure if the number of riders per nation is reduced for this years' edition. Anyway Roglic, Polanc, Mohoric and Spilak (if he decides to ride, I really don't konow why he shouldn't) should be in the squad. Then depends on the shape and riders' priorities. I've heard Brajkovic's goal is to do well in Slovenia, Austria and to be selected in WC team.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

johnymax said:
Mayomaniac said:
How many riders will Slovenia have at the WC?
They could have a pretty cool squad, him, Spilak and Mohoric (and maybe Tratnik)
Usually they have six riders. I'm not sure if the number of riders per nation is reduced for this years' edition. Anyway Roglic, Polanc, Mohoric and Spilak (if he decides to ride, I really don't konow why he shouldn't) should be in the squad. Then depends on the shape and riders' priorities. I've heard Brajkovic's goal is to do well in Slovenia, Austria and to be selected in WC team.
Yes, Roglic, Polanc, Mohoric and Spilak + Tratnik would be pretty good. I think that Jani is not the same rider without a certain ds, but that discussion probably belongs in another suberforum. If it's 6 riders that you need one for the final spot, Pogacar is probably too young and should rather ride the U23 race and I don't know about Jani, probably Novak or Bole as a workhorse. You could also send an interesting young guy like Žiga Grošelj, it's not like they'll be forced to control the race.

If he wasn't planning to at least stay in contention int the Tour I doubt he would do a recon of the cobbled stage. But he went there specifically for that. It is reasonable of course not to say out loud that he is going to try for GC since he probably doesn't even know himslelf how he might respond. But I think it suits him that Kruiswijsk is de facto leader, since that will mean less pressure for him, at least at the start of the race. I just hope that the team make sure that he gets through the first week safely and that they train their TTT a bit. Crosswind, cobbles, crashes could be tricky if you are all on your own.

Saying that, a dominant winner of two one week WT races, who has by himself beaten the Movistar A squad and a flying Bernal (plus he will most likely win Slovenia as well in two weeks time) doesn't just go under the radar. There will be questions for him and he will be seen as a potential candidate.

johnymax said:
Lequack said:
yaco said:
DNP-Old said:
yaco said:

This is not true. The 4th stage is hilly, the 5th ends on Mur de Bretagne and the 8th has cobbled sectors. If we add the before mentioned TTT, wind in some stages and inevitable crashes, gaps will be made between GC riders until the first rest day.
Those stages shouldn't necessarily be relevant for who rides for gc. I can see Roglic being near the top of the gc after the first week but if he can't climb with the best he should go for stages anyway. The first three stages of the 2nd week are more important for that decision.

TRENDING THREADS